“great stay!”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Wigan
Northwich, United Kingdom
“great stay!”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had a great time here-only 10 min walk from town-great bed & brekkie! Staff are excellent & facilities are great-can't wait to go back! Price for room for 2 people was very reasonable no problems & everyone was very helpful! :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EmmaHildo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 4 March 2013

This hotel is AWFUL. The staff are friendly, but that is the only positive.
The Internet server was down. The staff allowed me to use the admin Internet server.
The carpet on the stairs is worn and needs to be replaced. The bedroom carpet did not look as though it had been hoovered in a few days. The desk and bed-head are made of unfaced MDF with stains all over the desk.
The bathroom has no heating. The shower is not securely attached to the wall and there was no power to the shower so only cold showers were possible.
There was mould in the bathroom.
The bedroom was not cleaned or supplies re-stocked even though I stayed for 2 nights. There was no shower gel or shampoo, just one small bar of soap.
There is NO food available in this "hotel" at all and it is not worthy of the name.
Nobody cleaned the bathroom or straightened the bed, as I would expect when I stayed 2 nights.
The walls are plasterboard and I could hear every snore and sound from the neighbouring room

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Philtrat

Travellers are raving about these Wigan hotels

Holyhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Myself and my fiance just got back from the worst ever accomodation we have ever been in!! The first downpoint was the lack of the heating working so we had to go out and buy hot water bottles and hats!! :( The second downpoint was the lack of Hot water in the bathroom eg The hot tap when opened had no hot water at all and dont get me started on the shower!!!! omg i turned it on and all i got was a few dribbles of water which i had to huddle in the corner of the broken shower cubicle to try and find!! The third downpoint is the said shower cubicle was falling apart i have never seen anything so so bad in all my life!! The sliding door to the tiny bathroom was coming off its runners and i nearly got stuck in there!! The fourth downpoint was the bannister on the first floor was so loose it could be moved from side to side!!The fifth downpoint was the windows and noise from outside and other guests!! seriously needs new double glazed windows asap!!!! also the bed was like sleeping on giant springs which gave me so much pain in my back and shoulders!! Room was not clean crisps on the floor and sweet wrappers!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deborah f
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2011

As part of a gentleman’s golfing society we travel regularly around the country experiencing new golf courses. We decided that a course close to Wigan would be nice to play in December followed by a meal and a drink in Wigan. Unfortunately a hotel we have previously used in the town centre could not accommodate all of the society so we had to split between where we could. After a thoroughly enjoyable round of golf we headed off to our hotel. ‘This is where our nightmare stated’. On arrival at the hotel we were met in a small reception area by a friendly young girl who explained she had 3 rooms left. So i agreed to share. We left for our rooms and agreed to meet at the bar after dropping our bags for a quick drink and a chat over the days round. My roommate and I were amazed by the size of our room (No 1). That’s where the amazement stopped. The first thing we noticed was how cold the room was. Freezing!!! The carpet was black with stains the walls were yellow, there was no curtains hung just see through netting. The window had no form of security and the handle was broken so did not shut properly, allowing for a draft. The room had 1 single bed and 1 twin bed. We both commented on the state of the sheets. It just felt dirty! We made a quick exit to the bar. There we met our other 2 friends. I think we were all speechless. The bar was very busy but had an uncomfortable feel about it. Drunk work men who obviously were not residents. My friend had the room on the top floor, (box room). He had to shower in our room as he had no hot water. Our bathroom looked like a traditional Swedish sauna. There was Wood on the walls and ceiling with several sections missing. The shower was over the bath but the shower head had no holder. This was all very traumatic. Luckily we escaped and enjoyed a lovely meal in Wigan with the other members of our society. On returning to the Bel Air we decided on a quick night cap. The bar was busy but we managed to get a seat and enjoy a last drink while discussing the day’s events. As we did a fight broke out at the bar with a large group. It was horrendous and after the police intervened we left for one of the most uncomfortable night’s sleep I have ever had!!! Throughout the night I could hear shouting and continuing arguing. In the morning we left without stopping for breakfast as the whole experience had just been too much for us all. I have to say I cannot call the Bel Air a HOTEL or even a B@B. Its a local BAR at best with some inhabitable rooms above the Bar for hire!!!!! Never Again!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost!!!1
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank golfing guy g
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I know this hotel has been taken over and they seem to be working hard improve the hotels bad reputation! I travel at least once a month and this was one of the nicest places i have stayed in. We travelled with another couple, both had refurbished rooms (i know they are not all done yet), which were very clean and looked lovely and welcoming. comfortable double bed, 2 seater sofa and a large flat screen TV as well as on-suit bathroom which was immaculate. Our rooms were warm and thermostat controlled radiators to alter to our needs. We arrived at 6pm and were warmly welcomed, we stayed for dinner which was all home-made and freshly cooked at 7.30pm and was absolutely gorgeous! Drinks at the bar were very reasonable and the staff were very friendly. Breakfast was choice of cereals, fruit, coffee or tea and fruit juice, followed by a fresh cooked breakfast. I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Currently at the time of writing this, not all rooms have been refurbished, ask when booking!!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shell180
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Booked into the Hotel Bel Air for one night, as the room was only £30 we did not expect much, just a room to sleep in. We arrived a little earlier than the check in time, and the person in reception said it was ok for us to go to our room, when we'd paid, which I thought was really nice. The room however was not nice. The window had been broken at some point, and instead of replacing the window, or even removing the broken glass, it was covered with a thin sheet of perspex. There was a large dint in the wall that would have taken twenty minutes with a bit of filler to correct. The lights were broken. The duvet was about an inch thick, it was that cold I had to give my girlfriend my socks to keep warm, as the heating did not come on until 8 am. Oh, and by the way, we are both toilet trained so there really was no need for a rubber sheet on the bed. The bathroom could have done with a good clean, and a shower curtain would not go amiss. I realise there is a cutoff time for breakfast, but was it really necessary for the man on duty to speak to me like I was a complete waste of his time? Also, get someone in to look at the stairs, the bannister is very wobbly, and the stair rails are loose, presenting customers a great opportunity to fall and injure themselves. I did not expect much for my £30, just a room which was warm and clean, and basic civility.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CovertJellyfish
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

very good experiance, room was spotless, beds made and room tidied every day, breakfast was more than ample and very tasty, staff very very friendly nothing too much trouble.all in all i think the new owners are doing a very good jod turning it into a lovely hotel. will definatly go again

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wigan
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Coaching Inn Hotel
Coaching Inn Hotel
#9 of 11 in Wigan
Macdonald Kilhey Court
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club

Been to Bel Air Hotel? Share your experiences!