“APPALLING BREAK IN A SHOE BOX ROOM”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed 9 June 2012

myself and my husband have just spent the worst weekend break ever at this hotel, its so bad i really dont know where to start, the room was like a shoe box and needing decorating and the en suite was in a broom cupboard, we were told when booking as we were paying more we would have a large room but this didnt happen and the room we stopped in was the second room we had as the first one was really dingy so we asked to be moved.
i have to have a special diet and when booking i made sure they could cater for this and they said there would not be a problem but this didnt happen either the second night i ended up eating only a salad and a jacket potatoe and a fruit salad out of a 5 course menu, no starter as there was nothing i could eat, and the cheese and biscuits course was not even offered to us at all.
the car park was full so that we had to park in the sister hotel 10-15mins walk away, and there were noisy residents in the house across the street both nights so didnt get any sleep either.
we paid for 3 nights and only stopped for 2 and were not offered any kind of refund at all. the manager was apologetic but unfortunately too little too late.
all in all a total waste of money, i always check trip advisor before i book anywhere and have usually found the reviews a great help but i am not sure that a stopped in the same hotel as other reviewers, as there is no way i would ever venture into this hotel again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank voodoolady24
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Firstly, let me start by saying that this response is very uncharacteristic of my previous responses, however I feel so strongly about your comments that I feel that I have to take issue with them.
I will address your disparaging remarks, decipher the factual from inaccurate, and attend to each individual point that you raise.
When you made your original reservation, you requested a larger room and so were allocated a Family of Four room (which sleeps four people). At no point were you paying more for a larger room. Subsequently we have had an offer rate available but at the time of your booking this was not the case.
As you were not happy with the design of your room, you requested to move. We obliged your request and provided you with an alternative, a front facing double room, which at the time you had no complaints with.
The original room which you describe as ‘dingy’ is furnished to a high standard with a large flat screen TV, two large bright windows and soft white furnishings.
There is also a double bed and space for two single beds (one of which is moved out of the room to make it even more spacious when there are less than four people occupying the room).
Secondly, your comments about our menu are particularly disconcerting as we pride ourselves on our extensive menu and ability to cater for all diets. Every evening for the main course we offer a meat dish, a traditional dish, a fish dish and a vegetarian option. Should any of our menu choices not be appropriate with a guests dietary requirements, then the restaurant staff would consult the chefs immediately and come up with a solution.
I was made aware of your enquiry in reception about our mixed-meat salad, and our Duty Manager listed all the inclusions, and also added that if this was not sufficient for your dietary needs, then the chefs would produce a meal to cater for your requirements, at which point you responded that the salad would be sufficient.
Our carefully selected cheese menu is clearly displayed after the main course section of our menu and is available to all guests.
With regard to the car parking, we do offer a free car park situated at the rear of our hotel. If we have all 76 rooms booked then the car park will be full. In this instance we do offer alternative parking at our sister hotel, The Palace Hotel on the seafront. Again I would like to reiterate that this is another complimentary service. If a guest does feel however that a ten minutes walk is too far, then I would personally drive to our sister hotel to pick up the guests and bring them back to The Queens Hotel (which I have happily done on many occasions).
Your issue with noisy residents I find very perplexing. We have a 24hour reception and we have installed telephones in every single bedroom with the capacity to ring to reception for free at any time. Not only did you not report any disturbances at the time, or in the morning, but the only mention was very briefly on the day that you departed us. If you had reported it sooner, we could have done something about it for you. We did not have any complaints whatsoever from any other rooms at all.
I also have to add at this point that you did not raise any of these issues at all with myself, my assistant manager, or any of my reception team. You instead went to our sister hotel and complained to them, booked yourselves in there, and came back to depart a day early without any explanation or comment. If it wasn’t for our sister hotel telephoning through to inform me, then we would not have known at all. Luckily I managed to see you before you left and assisted you with your bags to your vehicle (in our car park) where I was able to try and address some of these issues before you left.
Unfortunately you neglected to mention in your review that you had originally booked two rooms, and that you cancelled one right at the last minute. Instead of adhering to our cancellation policy, I allowed our reception team to transfer your deposit for the cancelled room onto your other booking and even waived any cancellation fee of which it is our policy to charge.
I have to agree with the Managing Director of another hotel that you have left a scathing review of, where he comments that if you would have said something at the time of your visit, we could have done something to cater for your excessive expectations.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

My wife & I travelled down to the Queens hotel with my parents, father in law and 2 close friends all well over the age of 65. This was a return trip to the Queens hotel which was every bit as good as the first time we went a few years back. The hotel has been improved with a larger entertainment area and a revamped front patio area, ideal for sitting out and enjoying a drink in the Devon sunshine. The rooms are of a good standard and access to all floors was made easy for my parents and in laws by the hotel lifts. Breakfast and evening meals were top quality with a choice that meant even the fussiest of diners wouldn't go hungry. We were served throughout the week by Nick whose attention to detail was exemplary, with nothing being to much trouble even though he was serving several tables at once. This excellent service extended to the bar area ( Mark ) and all other staff at the hotel. I have marked the sleep quality down due to the noise heard from the room above, the floor boards were squeaky as people moved around early in the morning, but this doesn't distract from the overall quality and value for money this hotel offers. The hotels location is ideal for all the local amenities and buses to Torquay, Brixham and Cockington are within a short flat walk away. Thank you for an excellent stay and we will definitely be back later in the year.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Steven B
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. I’m delighted that your stay was as good as the last time you visited us, and that you were able to enjoy the sunshine on our redesigned front patio. We are constantly striving to improve the hotel for our guest’s enjoyment.
I am also pleased that you found the rooms to be of high standards and that access was made easy for your parents and in-laws by our two lifts that serve all floors.
Our extensive menu has been carefully considered and is all homemade and locally sourced where possible. I am thrilled that you found it to be of such a high quality, and that the variety was so good.
I take particular delight in your kind comments about the high levels of customer service you received from Nick, Mark and all the team. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent customer service and I’m glad you experienced this during your stay. I have passed your lovely comments on to them and they are extremely grateful and pleased that you enjoyed your time with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Queens Hotel later in the year, and please make yourselves known to myself upon your return.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Just came back from a weekend stay at The Queens Hotel.Took my Wife away for our Wedding Anniversary and I must say that the quality of service was excellent from the time we entered reception on Friday to the time we left this morning.
The staff were friendly and welcoming and our room was lovely and comfortable and the offer of complimentary coffee upon arrival was gratefully accepted by us as was the cream tea on Sunday. The food quality was second to none and piping hot (Even when the waiter dropped the food on the table on Friday evening.He really needs to improve on his juggling!!).. The choice of food was also to be commended...
The position of the hotel couldn't be better and not having to use the car for the weekend was lovely.

We will be using the hotel again and as I state in the title, It is well worth a visit....
Thanks to all staff involved

Greg & Rachael Johnson
Newport, Gwent

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GregCJ
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Good afternoon Mr and Mrs Johnson. Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments, and for choosing to mark your special occasion with us here at The Queens Hotel.
I am glad that you received such quality of service throughout the course of your break, the staff really do pride themselves on maintaining such high levels of customer service.
I am also pleased that you also found the room to be very comfortable and that you enjoyed the complimentary coffee and cream tea during your stay. We like to offer this service to our guests as we feel that after a long journey, a hot beverage is well deserved.
Your comments about our extensive menu are very much appreciated and I am pleased that you consider the quality of our food to be so high.
Thank you once again for sharing this occasion with us, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again before too long.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Booked and went on a Trip, with Eagre our local travel company. Queens Hotel was worth going to. Bedroom, pleasant its not the ritz, but it was warm, very comfortable, and great Big TV, superb. It was very clean and we had a decent bathroom, with a shower.

The Restaurant was superb, great food, and fantastic staff, always smiling, and helpful. Reception staff the same, nothing too much trouble, and nice atmosphere. The Entertainment was also very good, all in all a great 5 day holiday. 23/4 to 27/4. Foodies paradise.

Only snag it was along journey going down, even with breaks,. Good trip out to Plymouth in pouring rain.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor not much of a view but we did not hear the seagulls, and we slept well...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank happymover28
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you found the hotel to be very warm and comfortable, and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
The rooms are all furnished to a high standard and the large TV and nice bathroom of which you speak, and also the cleanliness of the room, is all testament to this.
I am glad that you enjoyed your dining experience in our restaurant and that the quality of the food was of a high standard.
Your comments regarding the high levels of customer service that you received, and the nice ambiance of the hotel, are particularly well received as we do take pride in making the guests feel welcome and well looked after.
Once again I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for sharing your views, and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Queens Hotel before too long.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just returned from a three-night stay at The Queens Hotel, Paignton as part of a coach holiday. The hotel is absolutely spotless and the food is to die for!! Every member of staff was welcoming and friendly - nothing was too much trouble. Our waiter was Nick and he was just fantastic! The only downside for us was that the bedroom was a tad tiny - we had to take turns to move around the room - but other than that, everything else was fine. It was our first stay there but, hopefully, will not be our last. Thanks to you all.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and was allocated one on the side, by the entrance of the car park. Our r...
4  Thank IreneRussell

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. I am glad that you found the hotel so welcoming and friendly, and that you enjoyed your stay.
Your comments about the food are greatly appreciated and I will pass on your thanks to the Chefs who do work so hard to keep the menu as good as it can possibly be.
I have also passed on your praise to Nick who is also very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and that you felt his service was of a high standard.
Our rooms are all shapes and sizes, if you mention to the reception staff that you require a larger room for you next visit when booking, we will do our best to accommodate any requests you may have.
I am glad to hear that this will not be your last stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

We have been to Paignton many, many times but this was the first visit here. The hotel was spotlessly clean with excellent friendly staff (nothing was too much trouble). The food was wonderful with plenty of choice. We are certainly looking forward to our next stay.

1  Thank RoyPNottinghamshire

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoiyed the hotel so much after many visits to Paignton, and that you will be staying with us again.
I am glad you felt so well looked after and that you enjoyed our menu. I look forward to seeing you again before too long.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

This was our first stay at this hotel, definitely will not be the last. Hotel was spotlessly clean, with friendly, helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble. Excellent food with a wide variety of choice at all meal times.

2  Thank fredBedrock

Good afternoon. Thank you for your comments. I am thoroughly pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us at The Queens Hotel, and that you enjoyed the service of our friendly staff.
I am also glad that you enjoyed your dining experience in our restaurant. I will pass on your comments to the Chefs who will be delighted with your comments.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Queens Hotel before too long.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace
#1 of 17 in Paignton
The Torland Hotel
The Torland Hotel
#17 of 17 in Paignton

Been to Queens Hotel? Share your experiences!