“Fantastic Hotel”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed 7 June 2013

My husband and I had a fantastic holiday at The Queens we had a week there from 24th to 31st May, my husband was a bit apprehensive about staying in a bigger hotel at first as we have been used to staying in small family hotels where we used to think you got more personal service,but The Queens was highly recommended to us by a couple of friends, so after a disappointing holiday at a small hotel in Paignton last year, where we had actually stayed since 2007 we decided to give The Queens ago, and we weren't disappointed, from arriving to going home we were made very welcome by all the staff that we met, the room 219 was lovely and clean and spacious with a comfy bed and a bath as well as a shower, the meals were lovely with very efficient and friendly staff always willing to please, also the entertainment in the evenings was very good, we loved everything about the hotel, and we are looking forward to our next stay in August.
Thanks Lee to you and all your staff for making it a memorable holiday.

1  Thank 60sgirlDoncaster
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Good Morning, thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely review. I am delighted that you had such a fantastic holiday with us at The Queens.
I am especially pleased that we lived up to the recommendation from your friends and that you felt that you were made so welcome. We are constantly trying to provide a personal experience for each and every guest in the hotel, and I am glad this showed during your stay.
It is also lovely to hear that you enjoyed the level of service from all the staff and that you felt well looked after during your break.
I am most pleased that you loved everything that we have to offer and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Queens Hotel in August for your next break.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We took a 'special offer' short break 11th - 13th May and would just like to highly recommend this lovely hotel in Paignton. We have been here before and each time it just gets better! The food quality and menu choice was excellent and a great breakfast to start the day. The staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. I would like to praise Lee Cullen (Hotel Manager) and all his staff for thier excellent hospitality during our stay which was 5*. Thank you! Glenn Hobbs (Stourbridge, West Midlands).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Good morning Mr Hobbs. Thank you for your glowing recommendation. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay break with us and that you were able to take advantage of our special offer.
It is wonderful to hear that you feel we get better and better each time you visit us, we are constantly chasing perfection and I am glad it shows during your breaks. We are currently renovating the reception area and I look forward to hearing your thoughts next time you visit us.
Your praise is most kind and I will pass your lovely comments on to all our staff who will be delighted that you felt their hospitality to be excellent.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Queens Hotel soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed as part of a large group this last weekend and after reading reviews and looking at their website thought we were in for a nice weekend, how wrong could I have been!!!!!!! we were given our room and small did not come into it, it was not much wider than a small double bed with small 1ft wide adapted wardrobes each side, there was not headboard and had a dirty wall behind the bed, 2 very small corner shelves above the bed were raw wood, not painted or stained and very ingrained with dirt, small dressing unit at end of bed all chipped and floor very uneven, dirty cup, lack of coffee, pillows and loo roll . Severe lack of food for the last tables to be served on the Saturday night, although what was served was nice (apart from soggy chips served with roast pork), overall the hotel was very hot and some of the rooms radiators could not be turned off - shame really as had been really looking forward to a well earned break........

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Good morning. From our records I can ascertain that you stayed in Room 202 for the two nights that you were here. This room is a double room which is graded at the three star standard each year which incorporates size, quality and standard of the room.
Due to the nature of the building, some of our rooms vary in size and this room is one of our smaller rooms, however it is well maintained at the highly acclaimed three star standard.
I may just add that the bathroom in this room has just been completely renovated as part of our ongoing maintenance programme to look after our bedrooms. Its has benefited from new lighting and mirror, new bathroom furniture, modern tiling on both the floor and walls, heated towel rail and also a complete repaint.
If you had been unhappy with the ‘lack of coffee, pillows and loo roll’ you only had to ask and we would have readily provided extra. As standard we offer two pillows per person, two toilet rolls per room and ample servings of accompaniments in the bedrooms.
All of the radiators throughout the hotel are in full working order and can be turned off at any time. Again I must stress that if you had mentioned to us about not being able to turn off your radiator, we could have turned it off for you immediately.
Regarding the food in the restaurant, I have spoken to our head chef and restaurant manager at length and they are baffled about your comments regarding the ‘severe lack of food’. They did inform me that we ran out of the duck starter when they were serving the last two tables but this was the only dish we ran out of. However I do apologise that this was the case. The chips are also cooked fresh to order, especially as your group was dining late, so I am unsure why you found them to be soggy, but again I apologise if they were not up to our usual high standards.
I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your break, especially as I had such positive feedback from your group organiser about how everyone had enjoyed their short break with us. I do hope that you will return and if you do, please contact me personally and I will ensure that you have our biggest room available at the time of booking.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Fabulous relaxing stay for all. Excellent value for money. Food excellent choice and standard. Lovely staff and friendly guests. Wished I could have stayed longer to get to know more guest. Maria Amos - (near Dudley) Birmingham :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maria A

Good morning Mrs Amos. Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely comments.
I am delighted that you had a fantastic and relaxing stay and that you felt it was excellent value for money.
It is particularly pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant menu and felt that the food produced is excellent.
The dishes on our extensive menu are homemade and locally sourced where possible, and I am glad that the quality of this shone through during your break. Our team of professional chefs also work very hard to ensure each dish is carefully created and presented for our guests enjoyment and I will pass on your lovely comments to them.
I hope to welcome you back to The Queens hotel again before too long.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Well - we`ve just returned from a week at the Queens, think it was our 12th visit............that speaks for itself!! The hotel has been refurbished, our room was delightful and spotless. (room 224) The menu has improved - and is of an excellent quality with plenty of choices, our waiters were polite and efficient. We feel like the Queens is our 2nd home - greeted by reception staff with a hug - even from Lee the hotel manager! The evening entertainment is of a very high quality, and rounds off the day perfectly. We are returning again this year to enjoy a Turkey & Tinsel break - we came last year & thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel is a level walk from train/bus station - about 10 mins walk. Dont miss this hotel - great value for money - can highly recommend it.............................

Room Tip: The rooms at front of hotel are spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2013

Good Morning Mr & Mrs Eade. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave your wonderful comments.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your 12th stay with us, and you feel very welcomed on arrival. It means a lot to all of us that you feel like it is your second home and its always a pleasure when you come and stay.
It’s lovely to hear that you think the menu has improved, we are constantly striving to do better and provide our guests with maximum enjoyment.
We are currently in the process of refurbishing the reception area and I am excited to see what you think of it when you next return.
We are all looking forward to seeing you both again later on in the year for your T&T break.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Just got back from a weekend away at the Queens, well what can I say we really enjoyed it everything about it is excellent. The breakfast and evening menu is first class you are spoilt for choice.The entertainment on Friday evening was really good very funny, Saturday was a singer which we thought was not very good.the staff were very pleasant and always there to help. Thank you for a good stay and hope to return in September.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank welshgirl4031
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Good afternoon, thank you for leaving your lovely review of our hotel. I am so thrilled that you really enjoyed your stay and found everything to be excellent.
It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed both our breakfast and dinner menus in our restaurant and found the food to be first class.
I am also pleased that you found the entertainment to be of a high standard and will pass on to our entertainment manager your comments regarding Saturdays act.
I am absolutely delighted however that you found the staff to be so pleasant and helpful during your stay and I will pass on your kind comments to them.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in September and thank you once again for your kind words.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

The Hotel has a good location, just minutes from the sea. The food is delicious. Evening meal has 5 courses and every item on the menu is nicely presented and plentiful.
The staff are helpful, polite and ready to please.
There is a lift to all floors and the rooms are clean and comfortable. There is only one negative comment:- the corridor floor outside our room on the second floor made a creaking noise and we were awakened at 3.30am and 4am by people travelling along the corridor. It was unavoidable as the floorboards were uneven.
There is evening entertainment every night, cabaret etc. There is also an indoor heated swimming pool.

Room Tip: There guests on the 3rd floor di not have the same problem with the creaking floorboards. I would ad...
2  Thank justloveeatingout

Good morning, thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
It is so lovely to hear that enjoyed our comprehensive restaurant menu so much and that you found each dish to be plentiful and well presented.
I am also elated that you found the staff to be so polite and on hand to help at all times. They really do all strive to offer the best levels of customer service possible and try to go above and beyond wherever possible.
Our lift accessibility is always well received as we have a lift to all floors and also the stair lift into the restaurant.
It is unfortunate to hear that the floorboards awoke you during the night, I will look into this further immediately.
I am pleased that you enjoyed all of our facilities including the nightly cabaret entertainment and also our tropical indoor heated swimming pool.
I am delighted that you had good time during your stay and I look forward to seeing you again soon.