“Great place, great location, needs a little tweak!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Paignton
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Great place, great location, needs a little tweak!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Had a lovely holiday here for a few days, the rooms were very clean and well serviced which ticked all the boxes. The staff were friendly and helpful. The one downside that we found was that we were placed in a room above the entertainment area with a toddler, not making it very easy to go to sleep much before 11pm when the entertainment had finished. I would recommend that families with your children check that you're not above the entertainment room and you will have a fabulous break.

The breakfast was more than adequate and nice, again the staff very friendly. I did have a dip in the pool one morning however and nearly passed out with the heat in the pool area. It rivalled that of a sauna (not even a slight exaggeration). I touched the radiators and they were on full despite the temperature being 26 degrees outside in the peak of summer. The shower in the swimming pool room, scaulded by skin, so obviously being linked up to the radiators.

Overall, this hotel is very good, but like the title indiciates, just a little tweak needed and trust that these are done, especially the swimming pool scenario as I did feel that this needed addressing and did mention it to a member of staff straight away.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank REB27_13
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It’s great to hear you had a lovely holiday and the high standard of our rooms was to your liking, I will pass this on to the housekeeping team to let them know what a great job they do.

We pride ourselves on our high level of customer service so it is great to hear the team were so friendly and helpful.
We do have some rooms situated above the entertainment area which always finishes by 11pm, for your next visit just request a room in another area of the hotel as you have a young child and we will be more than happy to accommodate your needs.
Again it is good to hear the staff have been very helpful and attentive and you enjoyed our extensive breakfast menu.
I have noted your comments about our swimming pool and our maintenance teams are looking into this at the minute, as well as new ways to regulate air temperature in the summer months.
I'm very pleased that your overall opinion of the hotel was very good and we look forward welcoming you for your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Just had a long weekend there enjoyed every minute the hole place was brilliant the staff were excellent from start to Finnish the hotel is in the perfect place in Paignton close to sea front close to town centre but also just far enough for a bit of peace and quiet I will be going back very soon :)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Bartman75
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Good Morning, thank you for taking the time to write your glowing review.
I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed the whole experience with us at The Queens Hotel and enjoyed our excellent position in Paignton.
I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the staff and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

booked at the queens for 4 nights, ended up stayed 3 nights,firstley our room number was 307, left the window open ,when went out to cool the room,as you do , in this warm weather,my wife and I were out all day,we came back to find our room in a state,what had happened was that a pigeon got through the window and started to build a nest on top of the wardrobe in my case ,there were straw and debris all over the room reported to reception but no respons,no cleaning was done , so I cleared the mess up myself, I wasn't prepared to stay in this room , so I ask if I could have another room , all they could offer was room 222 to be told that this room was cooler , sorry wrong .we stayed here for 2 nights , 2 nights with no sleep,very small room with twin beds in ,right next to a very large water heater that was in a cupboard right next to our room, it was stifling, we couldn't breathe let alone sleep,i told the receptionist at the desk of the above problem , to be told that there were no water heater system on this floor.our holiday was cut short because of the above problem , nothing was sorted out ,very upset about this .

Room Tip: do not choose 222 room very warm because of a very large water heater in a cupboard next door
1 Thank deltadeluxe
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Good Morning. I am disappointed that you had a bad experience at our hotel and can assure you this is not typical of our continual high standards. I have to apologise that I was not at the hotel on this occasion, but have enquired as to the circumstances of your stay with my assistant manager.
There are signs in each room to warn guests that if you leave the windows wide open and the curtains too, then pigeons could feasibly fly through the window. On this occasion they did fly in when everything was wide open and made a mess.
I spoke with the receptionist on duty who informed me that you only rang down to reception after you had cleaned up the mess. If you had rang down immediately our friendly and helpful staff would have been more than happy to come up immediately and deep clean this room for you so you wouldn’t have had to move rooms.
I am most pleased that we were able to accommodate your request at short notice and change your room, however as we have extremely high occupancy levels, the room you moved to was smaller than the room you were originally in.
You are quite right that the weather has been stifling recently, probably the hottest on record for a long time. It wasn’t just our hotel that was hot, the whole country was affected by these temperatures.
The room 222 is situated on the first floor and the reception team were quite right, there is no water heater right next to your bedroom. I am perplexed as to how you came to this conclusion.
I do apologise that you didn’t have a good experience but if you choose to return to us, I am more than convinced that you will be able to enjoy our usual level of high standards. If you do return, please speak to me on booking and I will ensure that you have the biggest room available at the time of booking.
I hope you will return and give us the opportunity to restore your faith in The Queens Hotel.
Whitwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Queens Hotel is a lovely hotel, the food was very good and the service in the restaurant was really delightful, the staff both in the restaurant and reception were friendly and very helpful. The room was quite small but pleasant and cool, which in the heat was a blessing. The only drawback that I could see was the fact that I had requested a room with a bath but the room we were given only had a shower. this however didn't prove to be too much of a problem. The room were cleaned everyday but sometimes not quite up to a good standard, but they were never left in a bad condition. The entertainment was superb and the bar staff were good at their job and really friendly, overall this was a very pleasant stay and we would definitely return.I would recommend this hotel especially to older people. We did however have a problem with the very noisy seagulls which sometimes made a noise most of the night, this of course was not the hotel's fault

Room Tip: higher rooms ( those on the top floor are very hot and stuffy
1 Thank mitch s
Good Afternoon, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the high quality of food we serve in our restaurant and the level of service in both the restaurant and reception was such a delight, we pride ourselves on delivering a friendly and helpful service.
This was a particularly hot spell we encountered and I am happy to here the room was cool enough for you.
Room size does vary throughout the hotel, but we strive to make the rooms as comfortable as possible and maintained to the highest standard. I am glad this showed during your stay.
As you can appreciate, we have a limited number of rooms with baths and where possible we will try to fulfill requests however this is not always possible when we are fully booked, I am pleased to hear it didn’t prove to be a problem for you.
It’s great to hear enjoyed the carefully selected evening entertainment which was washed down with the friendly service from the bar.
I will pass your kind words on to the hard working team. I thank you in advance for your recommendations and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to The Queens Hotel.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

After arriving at hotel after a 6 hour train journey.we were shown our bedroom to say it was small well my husbands sheds bigger.we were offered another shoebox with a bath.we declined this as my husband is disabled.we were offered another room on fri. ( tues is the day we arrived ) we stipulated a shower on Viewing hotel earlier in the year.to say we were dissapointed is putting it mildly.emily on reception took booking.she didnt budge out of her seat.by this time i was crying..we demanded the deposit back.they werent happy.I said were not leaving without it.they rang the palace hotelbut suprise suprise No room..my friend went on her i pad and rang a few hotels and we got in at th sands hotel.the queens need to Send there staff there to see how a proper hotel is run. And the palace Did have rooms.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank suecarter123
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Whilst I welcome all feedback about the hotel, good or bad, I am afraid your story is a complete fabrication and quite frankly an attack upon our good name.
Please allow me to give a completely honest and factual account of your unfortunate arrival as you have neglected to do above.
On arrival I personally carried your luggage to your bedroom, which was not a shoebox but actually a family room. We had also taken the single bed out of the room and just left the double in to give you more space as you had requested a larger room. This may give readers an idea of the dimensions of the room accommodating a double and a single bed. From the moment you walked into the room you immediately said “no”. I enquired as to the meaning of your statement and you said that your husbands shed was bigger than our family room. I must commend your husband on having such a wonderfully large shed.
As this room was obviously below your frightfully high expectations I said that I would nip to the desk immediately and try and find another room for you.
May I just add at this point, that you had booked and paid for a double room in June. As you had specified that you needed a larger room however, Emily our conscientious and generous Reservations Manager, booked for you a family room at no extra cost, for two weeks, in the summer months.
I looked through our bookings and was able to free an even larger room from the Friday evening but you are correct, it did have a bath. As we are a very popular hotel we have a very high occupancy level and this is why we weren’t able to move you immediately.
On your decline of this room I phoned both our sister hotels; The Palace on Paignton seafront and The Headland in Torquay. Both hotels were fully booked, so your statement that “The Palace did have rooms” is frankly, a lie.
With every option exhausted I noticed that some of our regular guests arriving on Thursday were in a large family room with a walk in shower and so I called them to see if they wouldn’t mind if I changed their room. This is not something I would usually do but they were more than happy to do this, especially given the circumstances, and so I was able to offer you this room from the Thursday night. I even offered you a rate reduction for the two nights that you were in your original family room but again you declined.
Emily may have taken the booking but as I was dealing with the situation she didn’t need to get involved, she just provided me with the facts. Emily also did ‘budge out of her seat’ to greet you on your arrival.
You asked for your deposit back and then said ‘we will sit outside and wait’. I neglected to tell you that it is our company policy that all deposits are non-refundable and rang our accounts department to authorise a refund for you. I proceeded to give you the deposit back straight away whilst you were sitting outside upsetting our other guests.
When I gave you your deposit back I even offered to phone around different hotels in the local area to see if I could find you somewhere to stay. You met this offer with a response of “no thanks, we will just walk along the beach and throw ourselves in the sea”. At this point I realised that although I had done everything feasibly possible to help you, there was nothing that could be done to appease you on this occasion.
I am glad that you did find alternative accommodation and hope that you enjoyed Paignton as a destination.
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Just back from long weekend had a brilliant time all the staff very friendly and service excellent. Lovely food and good entertainment. Could not fault any thing apart from the fact that our room was a bit small so when we go again i will book in plenty of time and ask for a larger room as we booked this trip very last minute and the hotel was very busy. We will defiantly go again. Thank you for a great week end.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I have just returned from Queens hotel in Paignton,i took my mom as she as been very poorly and has'nt been on holiday for 10 years, thanks must go out to Lee the manager on his staff training as all his staff were friendly and very helpful, especially Dave and Keith(on the bar) and ,all the dining room staff,nothing was too much trouble and they all made moms holiday.The entertainment every night was excellant and mom and i cried with laughter at Andy monday and Simon on Wednesday,better entertainment we have ever seen in a hotel! I would recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys good food,entertainment and wonderful staff.Once again Lee and staff thanks for making my moms holiday. Jill from Birmingham

Room Tip: we stayed in 201 and never saw inside any other room!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Good afternoon, thank you for taking the time to leave your heart-warming review. I am so happy that your mother enjoyed her stay with us as it was her first holiday for such a long time, and of course that you enjoyed your time with us too.
Thank you so much for your praise, I will pass it on to all the staff who I’m sure will also be delighted to know u feel they helped to make your mothers holiday special.
it is also great to hear that you enjoyed the evening entertainment, we try to select each act that we know to be very popular when planning the acts for the year, and I am glad that you enjoyed it during your stay.
Your recommendation is most kind and I hope to welcome you both back to visit again before too long. Please pass on our regards to your mother from all of us at The Queens.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace
#12 of 89 in Torquay
Preston Sands Hotel
Preston Sands Hotel
#11 of 18 in Paignton

Been to Queens Hotel? Share your experiences!