“how can people winge about this hotel is beyond me”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
waltham cross herts.
“how can people winge about this hotel is beyond me”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

we stayed here for a week in june and we enjoyed the food the entertainment and the staff are excellent especially lee for whom nothing is too much trouble. having read rhe reviews of other people who stayed in june it stirred me into writing with my point of view.

Room Tip: we had room 418 and it is comfortable and away from any noise
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Good afternoon, Thank you for your kind words. It’s great to hear you had such a great time with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Newhaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We have just returned from spending a wonderful week at the Queens Hotel. We were made to feel very welcome on our arrival and asked if we need any help with our bags. Our room was lovely, very roomy and clean. It was cleaned every day during our stay and would have to say to a very high standard. The food was excellent and the restaurant staff couldn't do enough to help. A few times I need some changes to my meal and it was carried out with no problem at all. The entertainment in the evening was varied but they was something to suit everyone. The bar staff in the evening were great. When the comedians were on my jaws ached from laughing so much! I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The whole place is lovely and the staff and the atmosphere are brilliant.

1 Thank drew1964
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Good afternoon, thank you for you fantastic review of your week with us.
We always like to give a warm and are always more than happy to help with luggage.
It’s good to know you were pleased with your room and as ever the housekeeping team are keeping up the high standards.
I will pass on your kind words to the chef and restaurant staff, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed the food and that all changes or dietary requirements were be catered for.
I hope the jaw has recovered from the repetitive laughter injury (it’s a common effect the comedians have on us and the guest).
Thank you again for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We have just returned from the Queens with our two children - had a great time. The restaurant staff Guner, Bilel, John, Rachel, Fayat, Giedre and all of the others (names escape me!!) were absolutely delightful and could not be more helpful...they are definitely a real credit to the hotel. Our room was clean, far away from the noise of evening entertainment which was perfect. The room was not massive but we only really slept in it anyway and it was very clean. This is a great hotel with a small swimming pool and entertainment lounge which suited us as we did not want a noisy busy holiday. Paington is lovely for families and we will return to the Queens without doubt! The evening entertainment is geared around the many older guests i.e. bingo and cabaret but there is plenty to do outside the hotel on an evening with the fair and pier and arcades.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Good Afternoon, thank you for the time you have taken to write about your stay with us. It’s always a pleasure to welcome you back, I will pass on your kind words to the restaurant staff, Guner and his team work very hard and are a credit to the company.
It’s good to hear we dealt with all your requests, I can see you requested a family room away from the evening entertainment.
We always aim to achieve high standard so I’m pleased the housekeeping team kept your room clean and to tidy.
It’s great to hear you enjoyed the facilities including the swimming pool and entertainment and that you found Paignton a great location with lots to do and see for families.
I look forward to seeing you all again soon.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Had a lovely holiday here for a few days, the rooms were very clean and well serviced which ticked all the boxes. The staff were friendly and helpful. The one downside that we found was that we were placed in a room above the entertainment area with a toddler, not making it very easy to go to sleep much before 11pm when the entertainment had finished. I would recommend that families with your children check that you're not above the entertainment room and you will have a fabulous break.

The breakfast was more than adequate and nice, again the staff very friendly. I did have a dip in the pool one morning however and nearly passed out with the heat in the pool area. It rivalled that of a sauna (not even a slight exaggeration). I touched the radiators and they were on full despite the temperature being 26 degrees outside in the peak of summer. The shower in the swimming pool room, scaulded by skin, so obviously being linked up to the radiators.

Overall, this hotel is very good, but like the title indiciates, just a little tweak needed and trust that these are done, especially the swimming pool scenario as I did feel that this needed addressing and did mention it to a member of staff straight away.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank REB27_13
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It’s great to hear you had a lovely holiday and the high standard of our rooms was to your liking, I will pass this on to the housekeeping team to let them know what a great job they do.

We pride ourselves on our high level of customer service so it is great to hear the team were so friendly and helpful.
We do have some rooms situated above the entertainment area which always finishes by 11pm, for your next visit just request a room in another area of the hotel as you have a young child and we will be more than happy to accommodate your needs.
Again it is good to hear the staff have been very helpful and attentive and you enjoyed our extensive breakfast menu.
I have noted your comments about our swimming pool and our maintenance teams are looking into this at the minute, as well as new ways to regulate air temperature in the summer months.
I'm very pleased that your overall opinion of the hotel was very good and we look forward welcoming you for your next visit.
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Just had a long weekend there enjoyed every minute the hole place was brilliant the staff were excellent from start to Finnish the hotel is in the perfect place in Paignton close to sea front close to town centre but also just far enough for a bit of peace and quiet I will be going back very soon :)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Bartman75
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Good Morning, thank you for taking the time to write your glowing review.
I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed the whole experience with us at The Queens Hotel and enjoyed our excellent position in Paignton.
I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the staff and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

booked at the queens for 4 nights, ended up stayed 3 nights,firstley our room number was 307, left the window open ,when went out to cool the room,as you do , in this warm weather,my wife and I were out all day,we came back to find our room in a state,what had happened was that a pigeon got through the window and started to build a nest on top of the wardrobe in my case ,there were straw and debris all over the room reported to reception but no respons,no cleaning was done , so I cleared the mess up myself, I wasn't prepared to stay in this room , so I ask if I could have another room , all they could offer was room 222 to be told that this room was cooler , sorry wrong .we stayed here for 2 nights , 2 nights with no sleep,very small room with twin beds in ,right next to a very large water heater that was in a cupboard right next to our room, it was stifling, we couldn't breathe let alone sleep,i told the receptionist at the desk of the above problem , to be told that there were no water heater system on this floor.our holiday was cut short because of the above problem , nothing was sorted out ,very upset about this .

Room Tip: do not choose 222 room very warm because of a very large water heater in a cupboard next door
1 Thank deltadeluxe
LeeDCullen, General Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Good Morning. I am disappointed that you had a bad experience at our hotel and can assure you this is not typical of our continual high standards. I have to apologise that I was not at the hotel on this occasion, but have enquired as to the circumstances of your stay with my assistant manager.
There are signs in each room to warn guests that if you leave the windows wide open and the curtains too, then pigeons could feasibly fly through the window. On this occasion they did fly in when everything was wide open and made a mess.
I spoke with the receptionist on duty who informed me that you only rang down to reception after you had cleaned up the mess. If you had rang down immediately our friendly and helpful staff would have been more than happy to come up immediately and deep clean this room for you so you wouldn’t have had to move rooms.
I am most pleased that we were able to accommodate your request at short notice and change your room, however as we have extremely high occupancy levels, the room you moved to was smaller than the room you were originally in.
You are quite right that the weather has been stifling recently, probably the hottest on record for a long time. It wasn’t just our hotel that was hot, the whole country was affected by these temperatures.
The room 222 is situated on the first floor and the reception team were quite right, there is no water heater right next to your bedroom. I am perplexed as to how you came to this conclusion.
I do apologise that you didn’t have a good experience but if you choose to return to us, I am more than convinced that you will be able to enjoy our usual level of high standards. If you do return, please speak to me on booking and I will ensure that you have the biggest room available at the time of booking.
I hope you will return and give us the opportunity to restore your faith in The Queens Hotel.
Whitwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Queens Hotel is a lovely hotel, the food was very good and the service in the restaurant was really delightful, the staff both in the restaurant and reception were friendly and very helpful. The room was quite small but pleasant and cool, which in the heat was a blessing. The only drawback that I could see was the fact that I had requested a room with a bath but the room we were given only had a shower. this however didn't prove to be too much of a problem. The room were cleaned everyday but sometimes not quite up to a good standard, but they were never left in a bad condition. The entertainment was superb and the bar staff were good at their job and really friendly, overall this was a very pleasant stay and we would definitely return.I would recommend this hotel especially to older people. We did however have a problem with the very noisy seagulls which sometimes made a noise most of the night, this of course was not the hotel's fault

Room Tip: higher rooms ( those on the top floor are very hot and stuffy
1 Thank mitch s
Good Afternoon, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the high quality of food we serve in our restaurant and the level of service in both the restaurant and reception was such a delight, we pride ourselves on delivering a friendly and helpful service.
This was a particularly hot spell we encountered and I am happy to here the room was cool enough for you.
Room size does vary throughout the hotel, but we strive to make the rooms as comfortable as possible and maintained to the highest standard. I am glad this showed during your stay.
As you can appreciate, we have a limited number of rooms with baths and where possible we will try to fulfill requests however this is not always possible when we are fully booked, I am pleased to hear it didn’t prove to be a problem for you.
It’s great to hear enjoyed the carefully selected evening entertainment which was washed down with the friendly service from the bar.
I will pass your kind words on to the hard working team. I thank you in advance for your recommendations and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to The Queens Hotel.