“EXCELLENT HOLIDAY”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Bristol, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT HOLIDAY”
Reviewed 23 May 2011

excellent hotel very clean and good location, excellent food many choices, service from staff, excellent rooms a bit small but no problem,short walk to shops and sea front,really enjoyed the holday , no problems what so ever

• Stayed May 2011
5 Thank douglas18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
wigan
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Excellent value for money on this 5 day coach holiday with Shearings, definitely one of the best hotels we have stayed in belonging to the Shearings group, staff always on hand when needed, our waiter Simon and waitress Pippa were beyond reproach and couldnt have done anymore for us if they tried. Last but not least most definitely the best management team we have come across - the leader being Greer, the manageress, what a brilliant people handler - a really good advert on her own for Shearings group. As this was our fifth british holiday this year with Shearings I would give it a very big 10 out of 10!!

4 Thank wiganHolidaymaker
Dear Wiganholidaymaker,
Thank you for your kind comments. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We endeavour to create a pleasurable experience for our guests and to receive such positive feedback is always welcome. I will gladly pass on your comments to Simon and Pippa about their great service and of course the comments regarding myself I value greatly. We pride ourselves on great customer service and well what can I say - “10 out of 10” is the best compliment. I hope you choose to return to the Esplanade in the not too distant future.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2011

just back from a 5 day break at the esplanade hotel paignton.the location of this hotel is superb....cross the road outside,and you are on the beach!
things didnt start to well however,in fact i thought we were in for a disaster. i had booked a twin room via a third party travel agent,but when we arrived shearings had us down for a "double".as the hotel was virtually full and there were no twin rooms available,it was as they say ......."houston....we have a problem!"
even though it wasent a shearings mistake,at my suggestion,they gave us an additional room at no expense,a least my partner and i could have a bed each!
thanks for this go to Greer the hotel manager who handled the matter with a very sympathetic attitude and professional manner.
just about the only downside of the hotel is the size of the rooms....they are really small.....and i wondered if they clean the windows with optrex!!
that apart...fantastic value for money....

Room Tip: ask for a large room
7 Thank oldpro139
Dear Oldpro139,
Thank you for your comments, it is great to hear such a positive reply considering the initial error with your booking. I remember you and your partner well (remember the curry dish you wished you had ordered?) and am so pleased that your overall holiday experience was a pleasant one. Of course the location of the esplanade is great for beach lovers( I too love beachlife) and is an ideal location for exploring the south west and Torbay area in particular. I hope you will visit us again and trust that you will have a great time.
Martos, Spain
Reviewed 10 May 2011

We spent 2 nights at the Esplanade on a self-drive Shearings package, and enjoyed it very much. Parts of the hotel are showing some wear and tear, although not as much as others in the Shearings group we have stayed at, but for the money this is a teriffic bargain.
I paid an extra few pounds for a sea view room, well worth it, the room did have a good sea view although the window was not particularly big. There was just enough room for the two of us to sit in the chairs provided and get the view of the green and the prom. The room had tea/coffee making facilities, a small bathroom with shower, wardrobe and dressing table. Oh yes and two pigeons sitting in the room when we arrived! The window had been left wide open, presumably by the cleaners, and they had flown in, but a quick call to reception and housekeeping were there in less than a minute to usher them back out the window with no fuss or mess. Needless to say we kept the window only part open during our stay.
The hotel was quite full during the stay which made for a good atmosphere, most of the guests were retirement age, and everyone seemed to be enjoying their stay as I heard no negative comments.
The dining room was quite crowded however, we had our own table, but not a great deal of space. The waiters were extremely efficient and the food was served rapidly and was of good quality, hotel dining rather than restaurant dining but again for the price paid it was very good value.
The evening entertainment was Bingo followed by a quiz, then the cabaret. This was singalong/comedy/dancing/impressions both nights and each entertainer went down well, most people joined in the spirit of the evening.
There is also a sun lounge, and a bar area, both of which were very comfortable.
The staff were excellent throughout and seemed willing to go that extra mile to ensure we had a good stay.
All in all I would most certainly return to the Esplanade.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room.
8 Thank AggiePirate
Dear Aggiepirate
Thank you for your wonderful review. It is so nice to read such great comments, especially about the lovely view from the sea-view rooms. Of course we pride ourselves on the over-friendly pigeons here, although we do ask that they refrain from entering via windows but they really don’t like doors! seriously though, my apologies for the window being left open. It is good to read that you enjoyed the overall atmosphere in the hotel. The head chef is very pleased to know that you have enjoyed his food and we will pass on your kind comments to his staff. The waiting staff are always pleased to hear great comments about their service. All the staff here (and, of course, the pigeons!) endeavour to make your holiday a memorable one it is so nice to read that all the staff went that extra mile. I am pleased you enjoyed our entertainment programme it always makes for an enjoyable atmosphere when people join in. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay so much to return in the future, thank you again for your kind comments.
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Thank you all of the staff for a wonderful holiday with you. I will most certainly come back
and enjoy even more holidays with such a wonderful caring helpful, commmitted staff
and the good varied menu that caters for all tastes. Nothing was too much trouble for
anyone on the staff for help of any discription. Again thank you all for such a happy
and pleasent holiday.

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank nan002_11
Dear Nan002_11
I am so pleased to read your lovely comments about the staff and food at the esplanade. We always try to ensure guests have a great time here. I am pleased you found our menu to your liking.
I think I know who this is, a lovely Yorkshire lady? Visits family in Torbay? If so, this lady has a number of holidays here and I am very happy to know that you choose to stay and have such a good time here.
Kind regards and look forward to your next visit.

Greer whitworth
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Esplanade hotel was fantastic, if I had to say bathrooms were small, but what I payed for was unbelievable, treated like royalty, never had a better Holiday, staff do too much for moaning nationals who think there being targeted need to g.r.o.w Up! Bar staff are too good. An deserve a rise or bonus. They always on hand and dealing with people that can't handle their alcohol very well. Will book again, an ignore reviews, because the guests that did came to moan, even before they arrived. Good look moaning guests. That's what u will always do through your life. Thanks :)

• Stayed June 2010
5 Thank Iwilljudge
Dear Iwilljudge
What can I say, fantastic, treated like royalty, best holiday. Thank you so much for your positive comments, I will pass on to the hotel team.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2011

this hotel is understaffed I had to search the hotel for staff every time I wanted a drink or wanted info.When I went for the evening meal the menu had changed at the last minute and the service was terrible the manageress appolagised and she herself had to wait on because there was no staff. The room was like a phone box and the bathroom was falling apart with mould on the tiles. To add insult there was contractors staying there and were sat about in soiled work clothes in the lounge area what was the point in the other guests having to dress for dinner as stated in the hotel rules.Nightly entertainment was non existant only if you like bingo which lasted 30 minutes.Could not wait to go home.

Room Tip: phone hotel direct and check details of brochure
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank docker1949
Dear Docker1949
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We do not usually have short staffing issues, I can only apologise if this was the case for you. I do help in the restaurant sometimes, if the restaurant is really busy from many guests going in at the same time, or especially if we may have had a late call in sick by a member of staff, maybe this was the case. Although the rooms are on the small side here, we do have many, many happy customers. I can only apologise if you found your bathroom a problem area, we have maintenance on site should any problems be reported at the time of your stay. The contractors staying here were booked independently and when we found out they were working in the area and not holiday makers, we asked that they do not use the hotel facilities in their workwear. We have a full night of entertainment in the Riviera suite almost every night, with visiting cabaret acts most evenings, so I do not understand how you found it to be non existant?
Greer Whitworth

Travellers are raving about these Paignton hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Summerhill Hotel
Bay Torbay Hotel
Bay Torbay Hotel
#34 of 87 in Torquay
Travelodge Paignton Seafront

Been to Bay Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!