“Return visit”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
cleethorpes
“Return visit”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Another good relaxing holiday except the problems with the lifts. This time we had a decent size room with a sea view, was worth paying the extra for. The staff are always very helpful and cheerful. This hotel is an ideal location you can get to Torquay and Brixham on the local buses which run every few minutes.If you've got a bus pass you can use it on these buses.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for a sea view
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bob43cleethorpes
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Thank yo for your kind review. aplogies one of the lifts is out of order, we are due for a replacement in january 2013. Thank you for your lovely comments about the staff and the room. The hotel is also in an ideal location for touring the south-west, with plymouth and exeter also only a bus ride away.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Essex
Reviewed 1 December 2012

This hotel is in great need of re-designing as it is really unsuitable for todays standards. The staff are very good and the food is of a reasonable standard for what you pay. The room we were given on our Shearings holiday had mould on the wall and ceiling of the bathroom and on the ceiling in the bed room. The whole area was also smelling strongly of damp. This type of mould could be harmful if the spores are inhaled. I reported the condition to reception and as it was a quiet part of their season there were spare rooms available and I was offered a different room. The receptionist was very understanding but did say that normally they would not have any spare. The new room had a wash basin in the sleeping area next to the bed as there was not room for it in the shower room. This is the second "Bay" hotel we have stayed in the last couple of months and it appears Shearings have bought these as part of their package holidays but I would not be in a hurry to visit more. They are suitable for a cheap budget coaching holiday but really should be updated sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: After being moved from a mouldy damp room we had a sea view from room 118 however one of the double...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Fletch12107
Thanks for your review, I do remember you as it was I who upgraded your room to a free sea-view. Thanks for the comments about the staff and food. We have an on-going programme of refurbishment, however apologies you did not find the room to your satisfaction.

Travellers are raving about these Paignton hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Where do I start.. Booked this several months ago to meet up with old friends and requested that all rooms be together. No chance One friend was located apart from the rest, asked reception if that could be changed and curtly told NO the hotels full. (remember that). Got to our room Well opened the door and it stank off smoking .In the bathroom (lol its a cupboard) it almost made me throw up .reported to reception and was told .Cannot be this is a no smoking Hotel (thats a joke the entertainment room reeked all week) and again no possablity off a change off room Went to the bar and ordered two drinks £9:10 for a rose wine and pint off lager. Strange returned to room to change for Dinner and there was a bottle off air fresher in the room ..funny they said the room could smell.Dinner Monday the soup was luke warm,ask for an extra bread roll with it and that was like being in oliver twist. The Breaded haddock was cold and straight from the freezer where I guess it had spent the last 3 months.having been shipped in from Iceland (the store). Plastic cheese and 3 biscuits 2 grapes and the smallest piece off celery possible. Breakfast all week was fun Juice or cereal not both Half a slice off cold toast each per table ..more if you wanted but only at that rate full english err Cumberland sausage ..well the ones I got each day where tiny all rusk about 10% meat content . There where so many baked beans I could count them each day 29 X 2 27 and on the Friday a grand total off 21..The rest off the weeks evening meals where not much better...Back to the room 138 dated grubby the carpet thin and aged bedroom just about big enough to swing a cat and the bathroom was a joke , just wide enough to stand in and mould covering the ceiling above the shower(IF I could work out how to transfer the picture of this off my phone I would share it ), water was either stone cold or luke warm for a few minutes a day If this is an exceptable Shearings Hotel then god help every one else as most off the guests where older than me and with only a tiny lift that seemed to struggle with 2 people in it at the back off the hotel it was not my idea off fun. My final comment is why did I stay for the 4 nights ..My friends and I enjoyed the Weatherspoons down the road a lot more.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Terry W
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
I am extremely shocked and suprised by your comments, as you will see there are so many great reviews on this website. We always try to honour requests made to allocate rooms near each other, however it is an un-guaranteed request, as it is not always possible, especailly due to the lift having to be replaced. I have no record here of your complaints, other than the smell of smoke in your room. We are a NO SMOKING HOTEL, we kindly ask all guests not to smoke in their rooms and would ask guuests to stop if found. We did spray your room with freshener and would have exchanged your room had we had another empty. I am shocked about your comments regarding smoking in the entertainment room as we have not had an ashtray in the entertainment room since the smoking ban was put into place in 2007!, again staff would ask a smoker to refrain or leave, if found smoking! perhaps you were sitting next to a smoker? Our head chef has been employed here for over 20 years and as you will see from previous reviews, we usually recieve great comments. We do not purchase haddock from iceland, nor do we have plastic cheese, however we do serve hygienically wrapped portions of classic cheeses. I am aware that many of the rooms are small here, however ALL bedroom carpets have been replaced in the past few years. We have over ten thousand bednight stays each year and many, many regular guests, who, as you will see from previous reviews, usually find my staff to be very heplpful; had ALL your complaints been brought to our attention we would have tried to rectify, if possible, rather than recieve a poor, 1 star review! Wetherspoons are a great value for money experience, perhaps you are mis-matched to our product, however I am not aware that they offer hotel facicilites in the local wetherspoons. However thanks for taking the time to review.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We have just returned from a 5 day Shearings break to the Bay Esplanade hotel.

It was our first experience of a coach holiday in the UK and wasn't too sure what to expect. The journey was long (12 hours) from Sunderland but had plenty of refreshment stops and the driver (Brian) was excellent, he knew every nook and cranny of the Devon area!

We arrived around 5pm and check in was swift, staff friendly and welcoming. We had room 121 on the 1st floor. The room is a little small but it was clean, warm, had a small flat screen tv and the bed was comfy.

We were on a half board basis with 4 drinks per day each included. The restaurant is waiter service and we were shown to our seats (which is where sat for the duration). The menu gives you a choice of at least 3 different starters, main courses (including chefs special) and desserts. The food was good, what you would expect from a 3* hotel. There was always a selection of different meats/fish or chicken dishes throughout the stay. For breakfast the full English was a great start to the day, we also had cereal, fruit juice, toast and coffee.

I would like to give a special mention to Courtney and Grace who gave exceptional service and always with a smile. My partner is caeliac and I had mentioned this beforehand on dietary requests - he was delighted to be given gluten free bread and rolls! They also advised on which meals were gluten free.

The drinks voucher system - 4 drinks each per day was an added bonus! The drinks included in this system included most of the beers/spirits/wines and also tea/coffee. Ashley the barman was a friendly guy. There was entertainment on every night starting with bingo then a quiz followed by the main act. We only went down to watch the entertainment on the last night, which was a guy doing impressions (some better than others!) so can't comment on any other. The clientele is mainly over 60's (we're in our 50's) and they all seemed to enjoy themselves!

The location of the hotel is in a prime position directly oppoisite the beach and harbour. We walked to Goodrington which is a very pleasant walk, the seafront walk to Youngs park is beautiful. It's about a 10 minute walk. The surrounding area is flat so we decided to walk along the seafront to Torquay, it's around 3 1/2 miles, took us around an hour, it was a very refreshing walk. We got the number 12 bus back!

All in all I would say this hotel is in a great location, friendly, professional staff, comfortable rooms and excellent value for money. We had a lovely time.
As a travel agent I will definitely recommend this to any of my clients looking for a UK break.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank carol1302
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Wow, Thank you so much for such a great review, Especially from a travel agent, as I am sure you must visit lot's of hotels. I will pass on all your comments to the staff mentioned. Brian is a great driver and am sure helped make the most of your journey and trips out. It is great to read all your great comments about staff, food, etertainment etc. I am so pleased you found all to your liking, as I have noted on tripadvisor many times, we always endevour to create a happy, enjoyable, relaxing holiday, which will be remebered for all the right reasons. The esplanade is in a great location and we receive many, many repeat bookings each year and many regular guests, so Thank you for recommending us and hope you may visit again in the future.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I stayed here on a Shearings coach tour recently- great views if you pay for a sea view- well worth while-and a lovely hotel.

Staff very helpful and courteous, food good- the chef's special ran out before I had a chance to try it- so popular with guests.

Entertainment fabulous- Lee, the host, is brilliant, but Ben Nickell, who entertained us on Thursday evening, was absolutely brilliant- I laughed until i cried at his impressions- and bought the DVD.
Rooms clean and well-appointed, although rooms 1-8 were below ground floor.
Lift was not working-although they have two. Neither worked during my stay- check before staying as this could affect you if, like me, you have mobility issues.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review. The views really are well worth the extra, although they do sometimes get booked up early. I am so happy to read that you found our staff to be so courteous and helpful, we pride ourselves on our friendly customer service and the staff really appreciate your kind comments, especially the Head chef Tim who has been with us for over 20 years. I will pass on your great review of our entertainment to our host Lee, they do a great job, don't they. Our new lift is being fitted in January, i hope you may return in the future. thank you once again.
lancs
Reviewed 4 November 2012

we had a weekend at this hotel as part of a coach trip .the location is excellent ,but the hotel is rather dated with small bedrooms and tiny bathroom . the lift didnt work but we were on the ground floor so it didnt worry us. we were told that the hotel is closing in the new year for a refurb. once that is done we would love to go back. the staff were friendly and helpful and the food was very good and the waiter was very good .

Room Tip: ours was a last minute coach trip but if booking yourself ask about room size and if the lift is wor...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank supananlancs
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Thank you for your review. the hotel is in a great location but bathrooms are small, however thanks you for the great commetns about the food and staff. We are closing in january for a new lift to be fitted and some rooms to be refurbished, so hopefully you will visit again in the not too distant future.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Having reviewed hotels used by shearings I am glad to say that double glazed windows, and outside has been improved. Guests tell me the food is good and rooms redecorated to a better standard.
Position of the hotel is excellent being on the sea front and only about 60 metres from Paignton harbour

Room Tip: I do not know which are best rooms but obviously those on the front overlook the sea.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Peter C
Thank you for your review, I wasn't sure if you had stayed here or not from your review, however thanks for the comments about the rooms, windows and food. We do have on-going refurbishement, every year redecorating a number of rooms.I would agree that the sea front rooms offer a better outlook but are no larger.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Summerhill Hotel
Bay Torbay Hotel
Bay Torbay Hotel
#34 of 87 in Torquay
Travelodge Paignton Seafront

Been to Bay Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!