“Good hotel for a short break”

Bay Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Paignton
cheshire
“Good hotel for a short break”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

my husband and myself stayed here for a long weekend. We were on a coach trip with National Holidays and I was expecting a quite tired slightly run down hotel. I was pleasantly surprised although the hotel is old and could do with a bit of refurbishment . Gary who was really the only receptionist I had to deal with was happy, smiling, very helpful and inviting. The room although small was spotlessly clean and comfortable. I would not have liked to stay in this room for more than four days due to the size of it and the bathroom. The dining room although large had a good ambience and the food was really good with an excellent selection. Portions were not oversized and as we were having three courses it was ample we even got coffee or tea in the evening which is most unusual in hotels. Simon our waiter- what can I say about him - has an unusual way with him but delivers excellent customer service with a smile and a somewhat strange sense of humour which is certainly not offensive in fact rather pleasing I wish him good luck in the future. We didn't go to the evening entertainment but saw plenty of people doing and so I cant comment on that. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would come back again. My one complaint is the noise outside our room starting at 5.15a.m. not the seagulls! but some people loading and banging and shouting to each other which woke us both up.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vonnyc
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for posting your review Vonnyc,
5 stars, great review and very pleasing to read how much you enjoyed your stay. Again it is so good to read how good you found the staff and service, Simon often has returning guests asking to be seated on his section. We aim to provice clean and comfortable rooms and we are happy you found your break to be pleasant and that you would return, this is a great recommendation and we thank you and hope you will return for another break with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
stalybridge
Reviewed 6 August 2013

our stay was a four day break . We were allocated a table which was ours for the rest of the stay which was very nice ,as noi confusion where to be seated.Our waitress was Sandra,very hardworking young lady ,helpful friendly and smiling , when we requested extra toast or butter she was always willing to oblige whuich was really nice Reception personel i.e Dee and Clive were also helpful and smiling.Now to the food, the choices were great fish.meat, vegetarian were offered,starters and desserts took some thinking because they all sounded lovely and indeed they were lovely. Well done catering staff and in fact who ever hired them should get a pat on the back for choosing them ,and all other staff

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anyaone
Thank you anyaone, for posting your review.
’PERFECT STAFF’ another great read, especially about our great staff. I will pass on your lovely comments to all staff mentioned, it is so nice to be appreciated so kindly, thank you. Thank you also for your comments regarding the food & service, we always endeavour to provide excellent customer service and I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you may return for another holiday with us.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Overall had a very enjoyable stay here for the price we paid. Bedrooms and decor around the hotel a bit dated and past its best. Rooms are clean and you don't go away to spend all day in your bedroom. All staff were friendly and helpful but a special comment about Simon our waiter who was very curtious, friendly and extremely helpful. A nice touch having the same table and waiter every meal time. The food again couldn't fault a good variety and choice, well cooked and presented, and excellent value for the money. Location is great as on the sea front and near the main street leading to the shops and bus & railway stations so easy to get to places. The entertainment was good and made an enjoyable evening.
Overall value for money made good by friendly staff and the food.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Albear1
Thank you Albear1 for posting your review, it is great to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you found your stay to be of good value. I will of course pass on your kind comments to Simon, your waiter, and our head chef. We aim to please and I am happy that you found all to your liking. We hope you may return in the future.
Watford
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The staff here are excellent; there was a genuine warmth about their welcome and they were always cheerful and helpful. The hotel is nicely situated just a stone's throw from the beach and town centre. My single room was large and spacious with a bathroom to match. The room cleaning fell sadly short of perfection but the one particular problem I reported was sorted by reception. The food is great with four choices for every course (it's worth staying here just for the puddings!). There is entertainment every evening (except Tuesday), it's not top class but still worth attending. Overall I would recomend this hotel to anyone looking for an enjoyable and value for money stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Barry S
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.
Thank you for all your lovely comments, especailly about the warm, welcoming and friendly staff, it is great to read! I will pass on all your kind comments to our head chef and the kitchen team, they really appreciate the recognition, as they do not often see guests, although we do recieve lot's of great comments about our food, it is reat to read it! thanks again. I apologies if there was a problem with your room, although happy that you brought it to our attentnion whilst staying here, it gives us the opportunity to put things right, if we know about a problem at the time, rather than reporting on tripadvisor after your stay. Thank you also for your recommendation, this is great to read. I do hope you may return to spend another enjoyable break with us.
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The smallest bathroom I've ever been in - just the width of a door. There was a mix-up over the room as we found someone already occupying it. Going back to reception we soon got sorted but the room that we were then given was very noisy. Over the kitchen area with early morning dustbins being emptied, seagulls looking for food and constantly calling all night. The air conditioning/refrigeration unit (I think) from the kitchen turning on and off all night was not the best holiday that I have ever had. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The meals were of a good standard with a good selection each evening. Wine waiter in the dining room and table service for breakfast and dinner was all most professional although of the 4 ceiling fans in the dining room only 2 were working and it being July it was very hot for serving staff and clients. I felt that the pressure is on to upgrade if you want a room with a road or sea view otherwise you will be put on one of the wings at the back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Avril-Staffordshire
Thank you for posting your review.
I am sorry that on this occassion we did not meet all your expectations, especailly regarding the bathroom, Aplogies, however many of the rooms here have very small bathrooms, sorry. I am also sorry about the noise you have reported, we do not suually recieve complaints about noise, seagulls are always present, however the kitchen fans are only on during cooking/service. We are awaiting a redecoration of the restaurant and will hopefully replace the broken fans. I am pleased you found the food and service to be good and hope you will return again. Thank you.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Just returned from Shearings coach trip staying at this hotel for 3 nights. Very lovely staff could not fault any of them all friendly and smiling. Very good value for the price paid, had an end room with 2 single beds and 3 windows., no air con but we found a fan in the wardrobe.
Bathroom was small with only a bath not shower which was not a problem, water was lovely and hot. Room was very clean and tidy, plenty of tea/coffee/milk and a kettle/mugs, there was also a bonus of a hairdryer which was not stated on the internet.
The hotel decor is dated but this added to the seaside hotel feel.
Dining room had new tables and chairs, food was excellent plenty of choice and large portions which were served by very friendly waiters who were willing to get anything asked for.
We checked out the entertainment which was a bit average but as the weather was so hot there was plenty to do outside.
All in all a lovely break away, very comfortable and made better by the friendly service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for posting your great review.
I am very glad to read of how you found our staff to be so friendly and helpful, they really are a great team, I wll make sure they see these lovely reviews, thank you. I am also very pelased to read fo how much you enjoyed the food on offer, we aim to please and I will, of course, pass on your comments to our kitchen team & waiting staff. I do hope you may return again one day to enjoy another "lovely break away". Thank you.
Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I have just had a 3 night break at the Bay Esplanade, a Shearings Holiday Hotel and from my personal experience there i can only describe my stay as perfect! I was given a warm welcome on arrival by a gentleman on the Reception desk. He explained everything i needed to know for my stay there. I had a single bedroom which was at the back of the hotel but had a good view over part of Paignton. This was an extremely good value for money break and i even had a bottle of red wine waiting in my room on arrival because i had booked the break during a particular promotional period. I though it was great considering how reasonable the cost of the break was anyway which included dinner, bed and breakfast. The bedroom was spacious for a single and was both very clean and comfortable with plenty of tea and coffee sachets. There was a small portable television which was more than adequate. When i went to bed on the first evening, i realised there was also a woollen type blanket under the bed cover. I am sensitive to wool so i pulled it off and just used the other plain sheet. The following morning i explained to the gentleman on reception that i was sensitive to wool and asked if it would be possible to have a duvet instead. He was very helpful and made a note for the housekeeper. Indeed, on my arrival back at the hotel that day after a day out, i went back to my room and there was a duvet on the bed and the woollen blanket had been folded away. I was really impressed by this level of customer service and i was very grateful for that. Thank you again!
The hotel is in an excellent position, on the level seafront with great sea views and just a few minutes walk away to the lovely harbour and to the shops.
The food was excellent all round. Breakfast was always tasty and filling. Evening meals were plentiful and again tasty and of excellent quality. There were plenty of choices on the menu every evening. Simon our waiter did a great job! He always had a smile and made sure everything was just fine for his guests. He is a real asset to the Esplanade Hotel!
There was entertainment on every evening while i was there in the Riviera suite and it was very enjoyable indeed. The lounge and bar just beyond reception was lovely too and a you could take in the beautiful sea views while sitting there enjoying a drink.
I have NO complaints whatsoever about my own stay at this hotel. I would not hesitate to return and stay there again. All of the hotel staff i came into contact with were so friendly. To me it was clear that they all really wanted their guests to have a great stay. Customer service is without a doubt excellent at the Esplanade Hotel and as a matter of fact, one or two of the other Shearings hotels i have stayed in could learn a lot from this hotel regarding customer service!
Thank you for such an enjoyable stay at the hotel. Well done and keep up that excellent work!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Coachholidayfan
Thank you so much for such a fantastic review.
PERFECT!, Wow, what can I say?.......... I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay here and will pass on all your kind comments, especially to the lovely Clive on reception, he really is a great asset here, often receiving praise for his service, thank you. I am also pleased to read about of housekeepers swift response to your request, I too prefer a duvet. Again thank you for your lovely comments about Simon, he is another great asset here, also asked for often by regular guests, requesting his service. I could not be happier about all your great comments, as always my team and I will endevour to continue to with our excellent customer care and hope you may return and again enjoy another great holiday with us. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Premier Inn Paignton Seafront (Goodrington Sands) Hotel
#24 of 89 in Torquay
The Palace
The Palace
#4 of 18 in Paignton

Been to Bay Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!