Our decision to stay in Paignton was made on the spur of the moment, a few days before our arrival by car. From the internet, we chose a four night, mid week, half board break and paid an additional premium for a ‘Sea View’, twin bedded room.
The hotel is well located near the sea front with views over Torbay. We recommend paying the modest surcharge for parking in the hotel car park. It makes the car more readily accessible, particularly in the heavy rain that we encountered during our stay.
As we entered the hotel, our first impression was not very promising; paint peeling from the entrance steps and a rather drab reception area not helped by two lamps in the chandelier not working. However the welcome by the staff was extremely friendly and helpful.
The restaurant was quite an attractive room, but sadly let down by lack of maintenance. There is quite an attractive frieze around the room or would be attractive if it was cleaned. We were tucked in a corner where it was hard to read the menu through lack of light. A lamp in the light fitting above my head was out for the whole of our stay. The room became unpleasantly hot when full of people, due to a lack of ventilation.
The lack of maintenance continued through the corridors to our room which was “compact” and seriously in need of a face lift. A few of the issues included:
• Wall paper lifting from the walls.
• Light fitting missing in the lobby.
• Ceiling badly stained due to previous ingress of water.
• The two double glazed units in the main window had failed and had permanent internal condensation making it impossible to look out clearly.
• Carpet needed cleaning; badly stained in places.
• There was nowhere to hang coats other than in the small wardrobe. This was not the ideal place to hang wet coats! Wall hooks required in the lobby.
The bathroom was no better with:
• The wash basin badly cracked to the extent that we were worried that a piece could have dropped out anytime.
• The taps were faulty and difficult to turn on and off. My wife was unable to operate the hot tap.
• The toilet flush handle was loose and it took several attempts to flush.
• The bathroom extract fan sounded as though it was powered by a diesel engine and took an age to stop after the light had been turned off. We didn’t dare switch it on after 10.30pm as it would have woken people in the adjacent rooms.
• There was mould around the top of the bath.
• Unexpectedly, there was no shower. I have mobility problems so getting in and out of the bath was touch and go, made worse by the gap between the bath and wall being so tight that my wife was unable to help me.
• The temperature of the hot water was dangerously high and should be lowered.
On the plus side, the potential view from the bedroom window would have been splendid. The beds were comfortable and clean with plenty of bedding available in the wardrobe. Towels too were clean and adequate. The room was satisfactorily serviced daily.
The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. We particularly mention Grace, our waitress throughout our stay, who, although run off her feet, looked after us well and chatted to us whenever she had a spare moment.
Breakfast and dinner were slightly above average and well presented; nothing special. However, I dislike eating off a bare table. Whatever happened to tablecloths or place mats?
Our conclusions: We didn’t know in advance, what to expect of the hotel. Had we, we would have paid more and stayed elsewhere.
We cannot comment on any entertainment organised by the hotel and did not make use of the bar.
Would we stay again? Probably after a refurbishment of the hotel.
Was the break value for money? Probably yes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Esplanade hotel is a pleasant hotel ideally situated and set on a level seafront position just a short walk to the sandy beach, picturesque harbour, pier, shops and brand new cinema. Paignton is right in the heart of Torbay and is an ideal resort for all ages as well as a great base from which to explore South Devon and the surrounding area. Within the hotel, the south facing Sun Lounge and Harbour Bar Lounge offer stunning views across ‘the Bay’ and the attractive Riviera Suite provides a warm and friendly atmosphere to enjoy the entertainment. The Esplanade also offers the opportunity to upgrade your standard room to one with a sea view (charges apply) and the stunning view on a sunny day is certainly worth it! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Bay Esplanade Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esplanade Hotel Paignton
- Bay Esplanade Hotel Paignton, Devon