“good value for money”

Bay Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The staff were efficient and friendly both in the dining room and at reception.I found the lounge and bar comfortable and "homely". I had a single room which could have done with a coat of paint but was adequate in size. My only disappointment was the en-suite. It was so small I sat on the toilet and my knees went under the sink. There was a very high step up into the shower and a sign warning people to be careful as the step was so high. There was nothing to hold on to and I felt very nervous getting in and out of the shower. A hotel I have stayed in previously had a shower with this problem and had put up grab rails which made it much safer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath as apparently the en-suites are much bigger
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Janet T
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you Janet T for taking the time to post a review.
Thank you also for your comments about the staff and service, I am pleased to read you found your stay comfortable here. Apologies you found the bathroom small, we do have a number of rooms with small bathrooms and we only have ONE single with a bath. I do hope that overall you have an enjoyable stay and would return again in the future

There are newer reviews for Bay Esplanade Hotel

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Pros. Excellent position
Good staff
Good food
Good entertainment
Cons.
In need of some tlc.
En suite barely adequate very tatty very small.
All in all very good value for money. Excellent position right on the seafront very close to bus and train station. I believe that the rooms at the front with a sea view had a bath and were of better quality.
You could do a lot worse than stay at this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you poolwingco, for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.
Thank you for your great comments about the hotel and staff, however apologies about the small bathroom, we do have quite a number of small bathrooms and although the rooms with baths are a little larger, we only have 10 rooms with baths. All in all, it sounds as though you enjoyed your stay with us, I hope you may return to holiday with us again

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel was exceptionally clean,the rooms although smallish were well decorated and spotless. Food for the money good and the staff in all departments friendly and efficient.A value for money break.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a sea view .
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank nofrills2u

Thank you nofrills2u for taking the time to post your review.
Thank you also for the great comments regarding the staff and hotel, we always aim to create a great holiday experience. I am pleased you found your holiday to be of value for money and hope you may return to holiday with us again.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

My wife and I had a very enjoyable stay at this Shearings hotel.The Esplanade was very clean the staff was very friendly. The bedroom was a little on the small size but every thing was there that you need .The Hotel was well placed on the sea front the food very good and you could just jump on a bus and go Brixham Torquay or Dartmouth we will stay at this hotel again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Eric_R551

Thank you Eric_R551, for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I will pass on your comments about the food and am so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your holiday and that you would return. Thank you

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a Shearings holiday hotel in a superb position on the sea front.

The dining room, food and the service were all of a high quality (taking into account the extremely competitive price paid).

The bar service was very efficient and friendly.

The reception staff were all very friendly and attentive, nothing was to much trouble for them. When my Partner was struck with a sudden violent illness they could not have been more supportive and went far beyond "the call of duty", for which we were extremely grateful.

So what is the "Pity". I am sorry to say that the standard rooms, for us are far to small and cramped the ensuite being no more that a small cloakroom with a shower. Normal toileting operations can only be preformed under very restrictive conditions.

I am sure that a lot of customers would enjoy a stay at this hotel but I could not personally recommended purely on the size and condition of the ensuite bathrooms.

Room Tip: Try an upgraded room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stonehengedeweller
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you stonehengedweller, for taking the time to post your review.

Thank you for all your great comments about the location, staff and service you received, it sounds like you did have a good break overall, I am pleased to read your positive comments. Apologies you did not find your bathroom to your liking, many are quite small, however yes, we do have many guests who regularly re-book with us, and I am pleased to say usually because we endeavour to give great customer service at value for money prices, which I hope you found su to be. I am pleased you found the location of the hotel to be great; we really are in an enviable position here, right on the seafront. I am sorry to hear that you took ill, very glad my staff did all they could to help. Again I am sorry about your en-suite, we do have some bigger bathrooms but these have baths rather than shower, so please, if you do reconsider, please do not hesitate in contacting and hopefully we may be able to help with one of the bigger bathrooms. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

On arrival at 13.00 after a 190 mile motorcycle ride i was curtly advised that my room isnt available till 15.00, being very tired because of my cancer treatment no offer of would like to sit in the lounge with your luggage, i had to sit on the wall in the carpark, luckily the weather was fine.
The room, decore was very tired and the ensuite smelt rank,
Restaurant, very militarised, evening meal 1st night told what table i had to sit at, and i was to sit there whenever i came to eat, luckily i had 2 very nice elderly ladies to talk to.
Last day breakfast 08.00, i walked into the restaurant at 07.58 and was very curtly told the resaurant is not open till 08.00, fuming at my treatment i asked " that strict ?" this place is a joke, turned and walked out, the restaurant manager then came out and tried to blame the chef for the time strictness, call this coincidence, but myself and one of my dining friends had 25 baked beans on our plate at breakfast. never again will i stay at a shearings hotel.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Wizard_of_Oz_007

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your holiday.
I am surprised to read your review, as my reception team are usually so very courteous, as you will see from other reviews. Although it is a 3pm policy for room arrivals in all Bay hotels, we would of course have had your room ready earlier, if a request had been made. We were not aware of your illness and would of course do anything to help in the circumstances. I am not sure why you felt you had to sit outside, as we have a coffee shop (opposite reception) and bar (on reception level) that are open all day, where lunches, snacks, drinks etc can be bought and the sun lounge, TV lounge & bar lounges are for all to use. I am not aware of which room you were allocated, as your name is not on tripadvisor; however, had you been unhappy you could have come to reception and we may have been able to change your room, or upgraded to a sea-view. We have had a number of rooms refurbished each year and although some are on the small side, we are usually receiving good comments about our rooms, as you will see on previous reviews. We do have a table allocation for all guests, as when full we do not have extra seating, so therefore a table plan for all rooms is in operation. I can only apologise if you found the restaurant manager strict, we do have doors to the restaurant, these are always opened by the restaurant manager at the start of each service, when all staff have set up their sections, we do not open earlier unless asked, as staff are setting up, guests do not usually open the doors. We had full occupancy during the BMAD festival and received great review for the weekend on our in-house comment cards, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have stayed at The Esplanade on a number of occasions now and our stay over the lat weekend of April was no exception. Newly refurbished room was nicely comfortable. The staff without exception were marvellous, the food excellent and the entertainment, important to us, was superb.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Alan P

Thank you Alan P for taking the time to post the 5 star review of your most recent holiday with us.

It is great to read how much you enjoyed a return visit here and I am so pleased to read you found our newly refurbished rooms comfortable. Thank you also for the lovely comments about the staff, entertainment and food, which I will of course pass on. I am glad to read you have holidayed here on a number of occasions, what better recommendation. I hope you will return again in the future. Thank you