“Faith restored”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Paignton
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Faith restored”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Just returned,( May 31st ) from a stay at Esplanade in Paignton, which did a lot to restore our faith in Shearings ability to provide a great holiday at a good price, and although we vowed never to go with Shearings ever again after our experience at the Trecarn, we were very delighted to report that the hotel and staff lived up to our expectations, with a clean modern room, with helpful friendly staff, great food and entertainment, especially the night before departure. We would like to say, well done to all the staff, what a differnce two hotels can be with such a short distance between them.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chrissie W
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you Chrissie W, for taking the time to review you holiday with us. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay here and will of course pass on your comments to our ‘friendly & helpful’ staff. We always aim to please and I am very glad that you found all aspects of your holiday to be enjoyable. I hope you may return again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and have just returned from a mid week break with Shearings. We stayed at The Bay Esplanade in Paignton. The hotel is in an excellent position right on the seafront. The hotel was very comfy. The staff are friendly and very helpful. We had a seaview room which was very comfortable and very clean. The en suite was a little narrow but was very clean and perfectly adequate. The food was excellent and we always had a good choice. The waiting staff carry out a really slick operation serving everyone without delay. They were always very pleasant and nothing was too much trouble for them. The whole staff were always happy to help and looked smiley and cheerful. The entertainment staff were excellent and put on a good show each night. The whole place had a very happy atmosphere. Would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Book a seaview room the vista is wonderful
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ronald F
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you Ronald F for taking the time to post a review of your recent holiday with us.
We really are in an envious position on the seafront. Thank you again for all your positive comments about the staff and service. The staff here always endeavour to create a happy holiday experience, I am very pleased to read that you found your holiday just so. Thank you for your recommendation and I hope you will visit again in the future.
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The staff were efficient and friendly both in the dining room and at reception.I found the lounge and bar comfortable and "homely". I had a single room which could have done with a coat of paint but was adequate in size. My only disappointment was the en-suite. It was so small I sat on the toilet and my knees went under the sink. There was a very high step up into the shower and a sign warning people to be careful as the step was so high. There was nothing to hold on to and I felt very nervous getting in and out of the shower. A hotel I have stayed in previously had a shower with this problem and had put up grab rails which made it much safer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath as apparently the en-suites are much bigger
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Janet T
Thank you Janet T for taking the time to post a review.
Thank you also for your comments about the staff and service, I am pleased to read you found your stay comfortable here. Apologies you found the bathroom small, we do have a number of rooms with small bathrooms and we only have ONE single with a bath. I do hope that overall you have an enjoyable stay and would return again in the future
poole dorset
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Pros. Excellent position
Good staff
Good food
Good entertainment
Cons.
In need of some tlc.
En suite barely adequate very tatty very small.
All in all very good value for money. Excellent position right on the seafront very close to bus and train station. I believe that the rooms at the front with a sea view had a bath and were of better quality.
You could do a lot worse than stay at this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you poolwingco, for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.
Thank you for your great comments about the hotel and staff, however apologies about the small bathroom, we do have quite a number of small bathrooms and although the rooms with baths are a little larger, we only have 10 rooms with baths. All in all, it sounds as though you enjoyed your stay with us, I hope you may return to holiday with us again
Devon
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel was exceptionally clean,the rooms although smallish were well decorated and spotless. Food for the money good and the staff in all departments friendly and efficient.A value for money break.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a sea view .
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nofrills2u
Thank you nofrills2u for taking the time to post your review.
Thank you also for the great comments regarding the staff and hotel, we always aim to create a great holiday experience. I am pleased you found your holiday to be of value for money and hope you may return to holiday with us again.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My wife and I had a very enjoyable stay at this Shearings hotel.The Esplanade was very clean the staff was very friendly. The bedroom was a little on the small size but every thing was there that you need .The Hotel was well placed on the sea front the food very good and you could just jump on a bus and go Brixham Torquay or Dartmouth we will stay at this hotel again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Eric_R551
Thank you Eric_R551, for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I will pass on your comments about the food and am so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your holiday and that you would return. Thank you
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a Shearings holiday hotel in a superb position on the sea front.

The dining room, food and the service were all of a high quality (taking into account the extremely competitive price paid).

The bar service was very efficient and friendly.

The reception staff were all very friendly and attentive, nothing was to much trouble for them. When my Partner was struck with a sudden violent illness they could not have been more supportive and went far beyond "the call of duty", for which we were extremely grateful.

So what is the "Pity". I am sorry to say that the standard rooms, for us are far to small and cramped the ensuite being no more that a small cloakroom with a shower. Normal toileting operations can only be preformed under very restrictive conditions.

I am sure that a lot of customers would enjoy a stay at this hotel but I could not personally recommended purely on the size and condition of the ensuite bathrooms.

Room Tip: Try an upgraded room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stonehengedeweller
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you stonehengedweller, for taking the time to post your review.

Thank you for all your great comments about the location, staff and service you received, it sounds like you did have a good break overall, I am pleased to read your positive comments. Apologies you did not find your bathroom to your liking, many are quite small, however yes, we do have many guests who regularly re-book with us, and I am pleased to say usually because we endeavour to give great customer service at value for money prices, which I hope you found su to be. I am pleased you found the location of the hotel to be great; we really are in an enviable position here, right on the seafront. I am sorry to hear that you took ill, very glad my staff did all they could to help. Again I am sorry about your en-suite, we do have some bigger bathrooms but these have baths rather than shower, so please, if you do reconsider, please do not hesitate in contacting and hopefully we may be able to help with one of the bigger bathrooms. Thank you again for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Premier Inn Paignton Seafront (Goodrington Sands) Hotel
#24 of 89 in Torquay
The Palace
The Palace
#4 of 18 in Paignton

Been to Bay Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!