“Esplanade Hotel Paignton excellent, helpful and freindly staff, meals second to none”

Bay Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Staff are friendly very helpful, close to shops and amenities and beach, quite flat,
Special thanks to Cathy, John, Kgrere, Andy, Dee, Cara, Vinnie, Tyler, Cleaners and another special thanks to Nick Head Chef your doing a cracking job, your food is top class right portions and excellent selection of dishes. If by any chance you do not like any of the dishes on the menu Nick Head Cheff will speak to you and arrange your dietary or liking of meals with no fuss.
Clean and very comfortable rooms, good selection of drink.
Sea veiw rooms are amazing to look over Paignton to Torquay.
Could do with Parasols for the beautiful garden area so you can enjoy the gardens and keep cool.
Definitely going back again.
Thanks again for help making our 20th Anniversary Special.

Room Tip: Sea Veiw rooms are realy good and picturesque.
1  Thank JohnJames C
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you John James C for taking the time to post your great review.
I remember you and your wife, a lovely couple and am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your anniversary holiday here, which I recall you intended for another week, as the weather was so good. Thank you for all your lovely comments about the staff, which I will pass on. Nick is very pleased to read your kind comments, we always aim to please and will assist with any dietary requirements. We hope to see you both again soon

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed for a 3 night break, location of hotel was good overlooking sea front at quieter end near harbour. Hotel reasonable with well kept bar and lounge area. Dining room quite dated although service was very good, food was average, with choices at every meal. We booked a sea view room, this was very small, as was the bathroom no bath just shower, small cloakroom sink not enough room for full size and no towel rail for bath towel, it was clostraphobic and uncomfortable very disappointing, on the plus side bedroom was clean and had a glorious sea view. Bay Hotels are good value for money but if you are expecting top class hotels they are not for you.

Room Tip: Book Sea View room but check size some are very small
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you LilliS_wales, for taking the time to post a review of your holiday with us.
Thank you for your comments; we do aim to create a great value holiday. I am sorry you did not find the restaurant decor to your liking; however we are intending for further refurbishment of this room in January 2015, the carpets, tables and chairs are all new, the restaurant is being extended, the decor updated, so hopefully you will find it to your satisfaction if you visit again. We do have many small rooms here; however the sea-view sea-views are well worth the extra. I hope you will visit again in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

A recent 3 night break - our 3rd stay at a Shearings hotel We were not expecting much based on our previous stays - Valley of Rocks Hotel in Lynton - incredibly tatty (wallpaper peeling) rooms with OK food. The Lion Hotel in Hunstanton - room just about OK and food slightly better.
The Esplanade was a welcome change from the minute we walked in. Very helpful and friendly staff - most efficient in the restaurant. Excellent food (but see tips below). Clean and sparkling room. Shame about the poor entertainment but still a lovely break - better than expected !
Many staff at 3 and 4 star hotels should attend a training session at the Esplanade and discover the proper way to look after guests!

Room Tip: If you are slimming or diabetic, take your own sweeteners as these are not supplied in rooms or rest...
2  Thank jumbo415

Thank you Jumbo415 for taking the time to post a review of your recent holiday with us.
I am very pleased to read your great comments, especially about the helpful & friendly staff and service, which I will pass on. The staff here really are a great team, always endeavouring to create a happy holiday experience. We do have sweeteners available, I am sorry you did not have these on your table in the restaurant. Again thank you for your comments; I hope you may return in the future..

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I booked for 5 nights on a DBB break. We did expect this to be an older hotel with reasonable food - the hotel lived up to our expectations, the food didn't. The reception staff are very helpful and friendly, couldn't have been nicer, and our chambermaid, Alison, was lovely and did an excellent job of keeping a very old hotel room very clean. The hotel is old and tatty in most places. Dinner was very uninspiring - the Cesear Salad starter was a sight to behold! and as for breakfast, I think its the smallest English breakfast I have ever seen - the 3 and a half grapefruit segments was just a tad too far in my book in trying to keep costs down. We opted out of the dinner and ended up having just bed and breakfast - not what we really wanted to do. Breakfast and dinner service was very rushed - we were supposed to be on holiday, not very relaxing. The car park charge of £5.00 a day, for a car park that was empty was asking too much - maybe during July and August I could understand it, but not when its sat there empty. We also paid for a sea view room and was disappointed to have an older room when we saw the refurbished one next door! The only good point really is the location of the hotel, very central.

Room Tip: A sea view room is a must - ask for a refurbished one
3  Thank LindseyD1712
esplanade123, General Manager at Bay Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am very pleased to read how you found the staff to be helpful and friendly; however I am very surprised to read your complaints about the food/service, as it was I (General Manager) who gave you a refund on your dinner package. You came to see me on the Monday morning after having had only dinner on Sunday evening and breakfast on the Monday morning, asking for a refund for dinner for the remainder of your stay (Mon-Fri) as you ‘wanted to do your own thing’. At no time did you complain of problems with the food or service following your 2 meals. We do not usually offer refunds on a pre-booked Dinner, B&B package and this was done as a goodwill gesture, as you said you wanted to eat out and did not want to be restricted to our restaurant opening times or be with the older coach party guests. We usually receive good comments about the food, had you brought any of this to my attention when I spoke to you, I would have tried to rectify any complaints. We cater for 30% self-drive guests and so not all guests are coach party bookings.The car park is all pre-paid and on occasion we do not have parking for all guest rooms, so pre-paid will guarantee a space, however there is free on road parking from 6pm-8pm nearby.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Had three pleasant nights at this hotel. The food was good with plenty of variety to choose from. The table service was a welcome change from the usual buffet style. The staff were extremely .
good. The rooms were cleaned well. Overall a very nice stay and we would go there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alan_wStourbridge

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.
I am very glad to read your review and thank you for your lovely comments regarding the ‘extremely good staff’, I will of course pass on your comments. I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you would return, so look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I travelled with Shearings from Halifax to Paignton. The hotel is quite old and is 'tired' in some places, work is taking place but there is still more to do. We were warmly welcomed and our bedroom overlooked the sea and harbour, However our bedroom was a little cramped with a shower room, sepertate toilet but with the wash hand basin lacking some shelf space in the bedroom itself. The bed was only a small double which was a little disappointing. We were fine for 5 nights but were pleased to sleep in our own bed when we got home. The staff in the restaurant and bars were pleasant, the food was adequate, and the entertainment was good in an evening. Overall we enjoyed our stay at the hotel but it would be churlish not to say some improvements could be made. John H

Room Tip: I am sure it was worth the extra to have a seaview.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John H

Thank you John H, for taking the time to post a review of your recent holiday here.
I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the staff and service to be pleasant. We are always investing in the property, upgrading and refurbishing each year. Apologies though, as many of the rooms here have small bathrooms. We do have an on-going programme of refurbishment and 24 rooms were refurbished in January 2013, with more rooms being done in January 2014, however the bathroom size I can only apologies, as they are small. The double beds are all 6ft x 4ft regular size, as we do not have superior rooms here with larger beds, sorry. Thank you for your 4 star review and I hope you may return to holiday with us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I plumped for this holiday because of the location of the hotel, and the itinerary, and the overall cost and convenience of this holiday. It poured with rain on our journey down from the West Midlands, and we didn't arrive at the hotel until the evening. I'd booked a twin room, requested a shower (not a bath), and paid extra for a sea view room. We checked into Room 132. But before I'd had he opportunity to fully settle into the room, we discovered that the toilet wasn't flushing properly. I used the room phone to call down to reception, and within a few minutes "Dee" had magically appeared. Dee lifted the lid off the top of the cistern, and adjusted something in there so that the cistern fully filled with water, enabling the toilet to properly flush. Whilst Dee's determination to get to grips with the problem was admirable, I personally would have worn gloves. As the loo wouldn't flush properly without lifting the lid on the cistern, we had to change rooms. But there wasn't another sea view room that was available, with twin beds and a shower. So we had to settle for a non-sea view room, Room 207. The en suite in Room 207 was too narrow. When I had a shower on the following morning, there wasn't any room to get dressed properly without leaning over the wash basin or the loo. After breakfast that Sunday morning, we went on our included excursion to Dartmouth and Totnes. Dartmouth is beautiful. Totnes would have been better if visited on a weekday, as most of the shops were closed. That evening, before dinner, Reception rang our room to say that a sea view twin room with a shower had become available, I viewed the room, and was happy with it, so we had to then move all our belongings again, to Room 120, which was our third room within the space of 24 hours. Room 120 was the nicest room out of the three that I experienced, tastefully decorated, and a very nice en suite, though I did call down to Reception to ask them to replace the shower curtain. Within 15 minutes of me phoning Reception, "Kate" had promptly appeared to unhook the imperfect shower curtain, and replace it with a fresh curtain. Whilst I was very happy with Room 120, a couple of hooks on the back of the main door would have been handy to hang coats/anoraks on, and an easier to fasten bathroom door, but otherwise very content with Room 120. In the restaurant, the cutlery and crockery was frequently not cleaned properly. One morning I showed the two cups that were on our table to the waiter, and asked for new cups. As the waiter returned to our table a moment later, brandishing two replacement cups, I was disappointed to see that neither of the two new cups were adequately clean either. The waiters are very busy waiting tables, but the young lad who waited our table (14) for most of our stay would benefit from a fingernail inspection and a nail brush. I also had to wait for 15 minutes on one occasion before I could place my order for dessert. The restaurant's chairs were visually impressive, and comfy to sit on, but because the seating was so deep, there was nothing to grab onto to pull the chair under me, or to push the chair out from under me when I wanted to get up. I wasn't the only guest that found the chairs to be this impractical. I would have liked to see more vegetarian options each day on the menu, but I was pleased that the hotel accommodated my request for a baked potato with beans and cheese, which I had to order at reception after breakfast. Most evenings I requested melon for a starter, and though it wasn't on the menu for those days, it was served, which was also appreciated. Our included excursion on Monday was to Princetown and Morewellham quay. On Monday evening the hotel entertainment was the brilliant Mr Shetliffe, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I've given my overall rating for this hotel as "Average", because though the location is excellent, the cleanliness of some aspects was below standard. On my feedback form that I completed at the end of my stay at the hotel I rated the cleanliness of Room 120, and the hotel in general, as Good and Fair and Poor. Poor because the shower curtain needed to be replaced, (and also a failure to adequately clean just beneath where the shower fittings were fixed to the inside wall of the shower) and the less than ideal cleanliness of cutlery and crockery, and our room had fair and good aspects too, though overall I was happy with the room. If the hotel had impressed me with its cleanliness, I would have given this holiday an excellent rating. I'll give the service an average rating, the service from Dee and Kate on Reception was excellent, but the service in the restaurant was a bit slow sometimes. Room 120 was very good, but Room 207 was average. The hotel's location is its best feature, opposite to the beach, in easy walking distance of the town's main attractions and shops, and the local buses offer a cheap and quick ride to Torquay, Brixham and so much more.

Room Tip: If you're dissatisfied with anything, contact reception, as I found them to be very robust and e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank PetticoatLoose

Thank you petticoatloose, for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry you had to change rooms; we always endeavour to fix any maintenance faults as they arise, so apologies if this was unable to be done on the day. I am happy to read that you were eventually satisfied with room 120. I am sorry you did not find the general cleanliness in the restaurant very good, I will look into your comments and can assure you that we usually have very good standards, as you will read in other trip advisor reviews. I am pleased you found the staff to be helpful and any issues rectified immediately.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace
#6 of 17 in Paignton
Summerhill Hotel
Summerhill Hotel
#1 of 17 in Paignton

Been to Bay Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!