“The perfect meal”

Ranked #41 of 186 Restaurants in Paignton
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The Scallops were sweet and juicy and the Veal Cordon Bleu was the best I've eaten in a long while. The service was attentive but not overpowering and Wendy was the star turn, as always.

There are newer reviews for Quo Vadis

Reviewed 28 July 2012

Having read previous reviews of this restaurant, my husband and I were looking forward to visiting it with our friends. Unfortunately it did not live up to our expectations.

The decor was dated, musty and, having just glanced around the room, could have done with a bit of a dust. The menu, as with authentic Italian restaurants, had a lot to choose from, which was quite overwhelming. I would also say that we were quite surprised at the price of the meals given the informality of the decor and the staff, but we reserved judgement hoping that the expense would be reflected in the quality of food. Fortunately we had perused their menu online so had a good idea about what we were going to order.

The waitress, who I believe is one of the owners, came to take our orders and asked what we were celebrating (me announcing I'm pregnant). I asked for the lasagne for starter, only to be told that they don't normally do it as a starter as it is quite large (it begs the question 'why is it on the starter menu?') I was made to feel quite embarrassed as she succumbed reluctantly to my request. Our friend asked for the carbonara as a main but with some chicken in it to bulk it out slightly as she was very hungry (it is stated in the menu that all starters can be eaten as a main). The waitress all but laughed at her stating that carbonara doesn't have chicken in it. Now we are all well educated people and my husband and I have visited Italy on numerous occasions, of course we know carbonara doesn't have chicken in it, but we did not believe this to be an unreasonable request! Given that, and I am quoting from their website, '...we make a real effort to accommodate the needs of the individual...we basically aim to please at all times.' our menu requests went down like a lead balloon.

The best thing I can say about the starters is that they were large (Incidentally the lasagne can be eaten as a starter). The steaks, that three of us had chosen, were good quality and cooked as we had requested, however the sauces were bland as were the vegetables that accompanied them.

When it was time to leave the ladies in our group left first to get the car (pregnancy = designated driver!) Whilst gone the waitress (who had been serving us all night, had found out why we were there and saw the baby card on the table all night) said goodbye to our other halves asking whose birthday it was we were celebrating! It was good to know she had been paying attention (there were only 3 other small tables of customers there)!

We all agreed that if we had all paid £5 less for our main meals we would have felt a little more satisfied and it would have gone some way to make up for the poor service. However given the decor, informal atmosphere, inattentiveness of waiting staff and average food we were left feeling disappointed.

I'm afraid to say we won't be returning any time soon and sadly I couldn't even recommend to a friend.

4  Thank DevonMitchells
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My wife and I had booked a table at Quo Vadis for our anniversary this year (we had usually gone to La Scala in Paignton but word is that whilst the food remains great, the waitress/customer service is indifferent to poor and shows no sign of change......).

We booked for 7pm and arrived 5 minutes or so early due to non-traffic!

The place was in darkness, with front door locked...so much so that I telephoned only to be told that "we don't usually open until 7!" That being said the owner/chef came to the door himself and apologised.

Apparently they took our reservation in error as they "don't usually open on a Monday night". Pretty impressive customer service that they honoured our booking.
That being said, by the time we started our amin course they had 5 tables occupied with diners, so they profited from any booking error!

We were promptly seated and offered drinks. We both elected for sparkling water only to be told that there was no water since they had "run out at the weekend".....however, the chef was promptly dispatched up the road to the Co-oP mini market by his wife to get the relevant bottles (big plus on customer service for that one as well!).

The quirkyness comment arises since whilst ourselves and another couple were perusing the menu, a gentleman entered and sat down at the bar and began a conversation with the lady of the house about 'Eastenders' and 'Billy Mitchel' carrying the olympic torch in full voice so that we all were party to his thoughts. He clearly was a regular and well known to the owners as they entered into a very friendly banter with him.
No real issue for us or the other couple but we all found it extremely amusing as the lady behind the bar was still setting up for the evening and he was clearly making her concentration difficult. Not the most professional of situations, but made for a 'family type' atmosphere I guess.....

This did'nt detract from our experience, but what is clear is that a visit to Quo Vadis is very much like a visit to a good friends house for a dinner and actually results in a very relaxed enjoyable atmosphere.

We had last visited several years ago (5-6) and at that time we commented on the strange smell in the restaurant area...nothing unpleasant, more 'musty'. We narrowed it down at the time to the very old and well worn carpet.
Imagine our surprise this time to get exactly the same smell and ...you've guessed it...the same carpet on the floor......

Comments apart, the meal was absolutely delicious and Italian home cooking at its best.

The service was prompt and friendly generating a really lovely, realxing night out for the both of us.
Value for money is OK, but is roughly the same as La Scala for a much reduced selection of dishes and overall La Scala has a more professional feal and ambience.
That being said Quo Vadis is an excellent night out in good company! (Not sure I believe the newspaper cutting on the wall saying that Gordon Ramsey also rates it!)

2  Thank vialli54
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Yummy yummy yummy!! What an amazing find in this seaside town and the skilled Italian chef really knows how to cook - his passion is clear to see (and taste). Wendy, his wife who runs the front of house is friendly and chatty and clearly takes great pride in her restaurant and her husband's ability to provide the most fantastic food. A trip to Paignton would not be complete without a visit to this small and intimate but TOP QUALITY Italian restaurant. A must for all foodies! Enjoy...!!

Reviewed 12 March 2012

The food here is Italian and first class, menu is varied but can highly recommend the crepes. Wendy the owner is really friendly and welcoming as was our waitress. A very pleasant evening with some excellent food