“Please check the toilets.”

Squires Of Paignton
Ranked #84 of 187 Restaurants in Paignton
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 13 August 2014

After eating our average fish and chips I needed to visit the ladies, not an experience I would want again. Definately in need of a good clean and on a regular basis . I did say to the older gentleman who was in charge of the cooking as I was leaving the premises, that the toilets were disgusting. Surely clean toilets can only enhance the establishments reputation.

1  Thank Nosludor

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I visited with my family mid afternoon and needed a gf meal for my 6 year old daughter who is coeliac. We stood by the counter and watched them prepare her so called GF meal and was horrified when they used the same tongues to pick up normal fish and then Into the chips. When I asked about this they said they'll use a different scoop for gluten free chips and couldn't understand that they had already contaminated the chips by using the other scoop. They also used a wire strainer to scoop out old batter from the fryer where the fish containing batter was cooked and lifted this across the so called gluten free chips into a scraps bin !!! It was dripping into the chips!!!! When we challenged them they where not open to any feedback and the female looked at us like we had just kicked her cat and stated that they had been doing this for 7 years without any problem.... How this is the case I don't know!!! I understand that people have a gluten free diet because it is either healthier or have a slight intolerance however when my daughter spent 4 weeks in hospital with her condition and the slightest crumb of gluten makes her violently sick then you can understand my annoyance at establishments that state they provide gluten free food because they believe it will make then look good and be better for business,when they have NO IDEA what is required. The cross contamination here was appalling !!!!They stated that they are members of the coeliac society which I will be placing a review with also. On a positive note the normal fish and chips were nice and they are situated near a great amusement arcade while they attempt to poison coeliac sufferers.

5  Thank Hoots777
squirespaignton, Manager at Squires Of Paignton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

We have been serving gluten free fish and chips for 7 years and not once has anyone said they have had a problem, and we have many regular g.f. customers. WE appreciate some people are more sensitive than others and if they are oversensitive and they advise us we tell them gluten containing products are prepared in the same area but not together, we use a separate g.f. batter,g.f. food is cooked separately and separate tongues are used.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Last night I thoroughly enjoyed a cheese and beans jacket potato at this establishment. I was served by a blonde woman who made me feel very welcome as I sat in the cafe. The potato really was second to none and I will be returning.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

As fish and chips go it was good. Not much room for error really. The batter was good and crispy and its nice that it's cooked fresh

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Only recently had I realised that gluten free fish and chips are available here so last week we paid a visit. It was mid afternoon on a weekday and was quiet when we arrived, though several other customers came in after us. We had gf cod and chips and a pot of tea. We did not have to wait very long for our food to arrive, the chips were piping hot and the cod was very nice. To eat fish and chips is a treat for a coeliac, and in my experience those establishments that go out of their way to serve gf always take pride in their food. I look forward to eating here again on another visit to Paignton.

2  Thank k r