“Excellent fourth visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Marine Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paignton
Marine Hotel
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Paignton
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent fourth visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My mother and I have just enjoyed our fourth visit to this lovely hotel and as ever we were highly delighted with our stay. The food was plentiful with a wide range on the menu every day. The room was clean, comfortable and well-maintained and all the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The evening entertainment was of a high standard,very enjoyable and of a much higher quality than we've experienced elsewhere. We had no hesitation recommending the hotel to our neighbours last year and they too had an enjoyable stay. We look upon the Marine as our second home by the sea, thanks to Nicola and Paul and all the regular staff who make it a pleasure to visit each year

Jacky G

2 Thank Jacky G
, Manager at Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thankyou for your review. It was lovely to see you both again. We will look forward to welcoming you and you mum back again next year. Take Care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

We have returned to the Marine Hotel year after year and in never lets us down, great food, fantastic rooms, all decorated to a high standard, friendly staff and excellent entertainment for a hotel of this size.The managment team(Paul and Nicola) can not do enough for us and some of our passengers visit many times throughout the year. The Marine is in the best position in Paignton, on the sea front and close to shops and the harbour.
All in all a great friendly hotel offering Fantastic value for money.

Richard Buckley (Buckley Tours Ltd)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Richard B
, Manager at Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Thankyou for your review Richard.
It with great pleasure that we continue to look after Buckley's Holidays and your passengers, including many of our now adopted family!.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

The Marine Hotel in Paignton is absolutely superb, there is no way possible that anyone can criticise this hotel in any way, shape or form, my father and I visited The Marine for the first time on 23/06/2012 for our yearly 1 week holiday, upon on arrival we were greeted by the manager and manageress (Nicola and Paul) who helped us unload our car with our luggage whilst we took in the scenery.
My father was lucky enough to be introduced to the owners of the hotel, not many owners would make themselves known at their hotel, my father was very impressed.

Before we even had time to look in our rooms we were offered a beverage, so from that moment on I knew we were going to have a great week. Nicola showed us to our rooms and made sure we were thoroughly happy with everything and I can say we were both 100% delighted with everything, I had a single room with shower with a sea view and my father had a double room looking towards the front of the hotel he was ever so chuffed, both rooms had tea and coffee facilities a television, bed side lamps, wardrobe and drawers. A fan was provided if needed. There is also a lift available if your unable to climb the stairs.

After unpacking and a little chill out time we heard the bell to our delight for our evening meals, all I can say is WOW!!! a choice of 4 starters, 5 main meals and 12 desserts, the variety was endless and you were spoilt for choice, and everyone was catered for whether you were a vegetarian, vegan or if you just needed dairy/gluten/wheat/lactose free foods also a diabetics menu choice was made available, they made sure you got exactly what you needed and there was no feeling that is was too much for the staff everything was cooked to perfection from roast chicken to lasagne, both me and my father have big appetites however we struggled to finish all of our meals although we did it, the food was just too good. Compliments to the Chef.

I was really disappointed by the comment left by Colin B to say that he 'does not think it was all prepared on the premises' is beyond belief, all staff ran round ragged making sure the meals came out piping hot and everyone had what they needed you seriously cant fault anything.

Also if you were to feel peckish during the day between breakfast and evening meal there is the choice of a packed lunch made available to you if your visiting places outside of the hotel, and even if you were staying in the hotel throughout the day, a sandwich would be made up for you again with plenty of variety.

I was very pleased with how the staff dealt with an incident on our first night stay at the hotel, a lady took ill whilst we were in the dining room and within seconds Sharon and other members of staff was at her aid, my father suffers with his heart and with seeing how well she was dealt with, if he was to fall ill he had no worries about how he would be treated, which obviously is a great relief for all.

On your journey home you also get offered a choice of sandwiches, scones, and drinks the chef will make up for you now where else would you find an establishment willing to do that for you.

The evening entertainment was just so good you would never find such a variety of entertainment in any other Hotel, this ranged from male and female vocalists to comedy, magicians and all importantly Bingo, of which everyone at the hotel thoroughly enjoyed.

I would like to thank the workers of The Marine for making our stay so very special especially to Sharon, Chantelle, Steph, Stuart, Mark, Charlie, Nicola and Paul just to name a few.

The location of the hotel is perfect literally on the sea front only a 5 minute stroll to the town where there are no end of shops and amusements, ample seating area should you need to take a break also.

Last but not least, please do not judge this establishment until you have tried out their accommodation, my father and I was talking to a couple who come regularly to the hotel in fact this year was their 15th year on the trot!! Now if any of these other average reviews were correct then they wouldn't have been back that many times. And all I can say is I will most certainly be going back to The Marine before the year is out.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 303 which was an airy room, and a view of the sea, my father stayed in room 318 whi...
3 Thank dianne270488
, Manager at Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Thankyou for your very kind review. I am glad to hear that the way our staff responded to the lady who collapsed in the dining room has given you and your father extra confidence in us. We will look forward to seeing you again.
Burnley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Cannot fault this hotel for its cleanliness. Food is average but do not think it was all prepared on the premises. Disappointed with breakfast, was told on day one that we could not have juice as well as cereal, come on how much does it cost for some fruit juice. Sausages were overdone every day, as was roast potatoes/other potato varieties, had to send them back on one occasion. Felt very rushed to eat meals and dining room background music was not needed. Staff are very friendly and nightly entertainment very good.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank colin b
, Manager at Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Thankyou for your review. We are pleased to read all comments from our reviews and take advice accordingly.

I am sorry that you were a little disappointed during your stay, in response to the comment about the fruit juice, you will see from another review that it is one thing which is under review at the moment, if a whole dining room of 90 guests were to request a fruit juice in addition to another starter it would certainly start to affect costs but as it is something that has been mentioned a couple of times, it is definately something that we are reconsidering. As for the potatoes and sausages being overcooked, i can only apologise. This is not something that has cropped up previously but we will certainly monitor the situation.

I also apologise for the fact that you felt rushed during meal times, we are constantly aware that our guests usually like to have their meals fairly quickly to enable them to get a prime placed seat in the lounge ready for when the entertainment starts, we must remember that not all guests feel this way and i thankyou for pointing it out to us.

Hopefully you will give us the oppertunity to look after you again at some point in the future.
Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

My last trip was the 6th time I had visited this Hotel in 7/8 years and I was bitterly disappointed at the decline of it. There was no shower/bath gel nor shampoo supplied. Also no biscuits with the tea/coffee facilities. My cup was cracked, but after requesting this to be changed twice, I did then have a cup and saucer (much smaller) provided. I stayed for six nights and my bed linen was not changed at all. Towels were changed every two days but very thin and not very large. The large one - ? bath towel would not even go round me. The breakfast menu had also declined and fruit juice and cereal together were not an option - only one or other. Also, my room was so small I did not have any room to use the case stand, except to leave it in the very small wardrobe. I had to leave my case under the armchair.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank happytravellers2310
, Manager at Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your most recent stay with us.

I feel that i must remind you that we are only a 2 star hotel and that is why your bedding is not changed on a 6 nights stay, why we only provide soap in the bathrooms and not all of the other toiletries, why the towels are the size that they are and also why you don't have biscuits with your beverage tray.

The cracked cup was obviously not seen by the housekeeping staff and the fact that you had to ask twice for it to be replaced is unacceptable and i can only apologise.

As for your comment that the breakfast menu has declined, it is actually the same breakfast menu that it has always been (at least for the 10 years that i have been here). The fact that we do not offer fruit juice as well as cereal is one which is currently under review, it is listed as one of the starter choices and if a whole dining room of 90 guests has a fruit juice in addition to their starter it would start to affect the costs but it is certainly something that we are thinking about.

I am also sorry that you were disappointed with your bedroom, you did have a standard single bedroom and i can only say that the allocation of the single rooms to our coach parties is just the luck of the draw, unless of course you have a particular room preference we would always welcome you to give us a call and make the request, if that room is available we would book you straight into it.

I hope that you will rdecide to visit us again at somepoint in the future, please feel free to call about any room requests.
derbyshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

went with chesterfields nova tours. Yes the majority were mature travellers but didnt bother us. We went on the complimentary excursions and enjoyed them all. Driver was informative and gave good advice on what and where we could go on our free days. Hotel in a good location right on the front. Room was spotless. Had seaview room. Food was fine, plenty of choice. Entertainment on offer most nights and of good standard. We stayed in room 414, top floor. There is a lift for those who have trouble with stairs. We had a bath in the ensuite which suited me fine,plenty of hot water, but there are rooms with showers only.Shame we had poor weather but still enjoyed the break. Highly recommend you go to dartmouth on the steam train.

Room Tip: some of the downstairs rooms lead onto private courtyard with tables and chairs so you could sit out...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank crookedspire1
, Manager at Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Thankyou for your review, we'll look forward to seeing you again soon.
Stonehouse, Glos, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Anyone who gives this hotel a bad review needs to see a psychiatrist!!

Everyone was friendly and helpful, the food excellent, and decent sized portions. The rooms were spotless as were the public areas.

During our stay a member of our party was taken fairly seriously ill and had to be taken to hospital where she stayed for a week. During this time, the staff ferried her husband and son to and from the hospital, made them a packed lunch, and even offered to do some washing for them, as they had only taken clothes for a few days. Not all hotels would be willing to do this

We cannot thank you enough for your help and attention. The biggest thanks I can give is to wish I could give an 'infinite' rating on here.

So thank you Lasst (sorry for waking you up)!, Chantelle, Paul, Nicola, Sharon and everyone else at the Marine!!

, Manager at Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Thankyou for your review. I am glad to hear that the lady is question is alot better now. It is the least that we can do in these stressful situations. We look forward to seeing you all again soon.