“Amazing stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Whitehill Country Park
Chesterfield
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was our first time camping & as we love the Torbay area we decided on this site as it also had a pool.
First impressions of the site are very good, you can see the lovely setting & everything looks well looked after & clean. We were very quickly escorted to our pitch, which i though was a very nice touch.
The camping pitch we were designated was lovely, not too far from the well kept amenities.
There was a small amount of noise but not excessive at night, mainly from kids & teenagers enjoying their holiday, (we were all young once!), but everything was quiet for 10:30. Being a very light sleeper I was never woken in the night so all must have been quiet.
The pool was awesome, smallish but excellent none the less, we were in every day at opening time & our little boy loved it.
Only went to the bar once as we're not drinkers but it had a nice atmosphere, the staff were very polite, service was excellent & reasonably priced. The cafe was good but again we only ate from there the once as we tended to eat out more often than not.
The shop was very good, well stocked & reasonably priced to say there was no competition in walkable distance.

I could go on about how much we enjoyed the site but I won't bore you all. What I will say is we enjoyed our first camping trip so much & the site impressed me & my wife so much we've booked the exact same pitch for summer 2015.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
2 Thank DMJFLETCH

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Somerset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is the 4th time we have stayed at Whitehill and it won't be the last.

Good size pitches, clean site, excellent facilities. Kids loved the evening entertainment with John ad Bridget, especially the Pig Racing and games.

The food in the cafe is very good and we found all of the staff friendly and helpful.

Already booked next year!

1 Thank LeeRedders
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My family - me, my wife and two boys aged 5 and 8 spent a lovely 9 nights here in July. We originally booked for 7 nights but we were enjoying our stay so much we decided to stay 2 further nights. The place is lovely, the staff are friendly and helpful, there is a good vibe around this place and there is an emphasis on the outdoors and nature. It is a large site, not too crowded and there are lots of open spaces to roam around. The outdoor pool is heated to a perfect temperature. Also, there is an excellent off road walk into Stoke Gabriel of about 2.5 miles and Paignton by car is about 10mins away and Torquay and Brixham about 15mins. We would certainly come back to this site because of its laid back and friendly atmosphere.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marky_g_61
Yeovil, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Booked a pod for the weekend for my partners birthday and it was perfect ! (buy a gift.com) The lady in reception was very nice and welcoming. The pool was busy and there was a really nice buzz to the place. We drove down to the pod to find a lovely table and chairs outside and a nice size bed inside. The view was lovely. Showers and toilets very clean ! The place was busy but what we expected. Would recommended the pod to anyone wanting to get away for the weekend and not have the hassle of setting up tents ! We used this as a base and went out for both days we stayed. Torquay and Dartmouth are a little drive away but worth doing ! The pods were big enough to stand up in and a big bed. Last morning we had a lovely full English breakfast! Last night we went up to the bar area Very busy and cheap drink but classy! Will be booking again! Thank you for a lovely weekend away.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank vickyturner101
Sheffield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

The campsite itself is very nice having said that we had to que for the toilets and showers just about every time we wanted to use them. They were not cleaned until late afternoon and the drain in the shower smelt. The four toilets and three showers in the ladies is totally insufficient for a field of tents ( no facilities unlike caravans] The field con taining the caravans and campers was well served, but you don't expect a hike to the next field for the price we paid. There was even a scout camp on the field which filled the pool when they all decided to use it at once. It looked like the final scene from Titanic when everyone was using it! Having said that it would probably be fine outside of school holidays.
The games room was unbearably hot due to the weather and the heat given off by the electronic machines, have they never heard of air conditioning. Internet connection was expensive and everyone said it didn't work on the tent field, so don't waste your money.
Finally we were told of by two officious security guards for watching t.v. at 10.15 yet other people were using a t.v. projector at midnight and letting their children shine torches in tents and playing football on the tarmac road.
Would we go there again? definately not during school holidays.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jeavons_Family1, Owner at Whitehill Country Park, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Whitehill Country Park. We are very sorry to hear that you were disappointed on this occasion. We would like to re-assure our guests that our housekeeping teams clean our toilet and shower facilities regularly throughout the day, including first thing in the morning to ensure our facilities are in a pristine condition for our guests. We also have several toilet and shower facilities situated around the park, all of which are just a short walk and are available for use by all customers.

Furthermore, Whitehill Country Park is a family site and we kindly ask that guests keep noise to a reasonable level in the evenings, with our Evening Customer Service team on hand should you require assistance. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you at Whitehill Country Park soon
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Yes we’ve being staying there as a family for 16 years and were there at the same time in July but for two and a half weeks. I appreciate things do change especially when another company takes over with different ideas, but a lot of things have definately improved for the better as other past guests have stated. However, on our arrival we were greeted in the usual very friendly way and shown to our pitch. We were not told though that we had to respect other peoples property (as if you should need telling ). We arrived on the 26th of June and that evening after a 300+ mile drive with a caravan I thought I would have a drink in the bar before going to bed. I went in about 10.00 where there were about another six people enjoying a drink. At 10.10 a security guard ( which could be quite intimidating to some people ) came in, had 20 minutes on a laptop behind the bar and then said that they were closing the bar. He was very polite and asked us all if we would like a plastic glass to take the rest of our drinks to our pitches. I politely refused and like the other guests drank my drink quickly and left at 10.40 with the bar staff smirking, doors being locked and alarm set behind us. This happened the next night as well but at 10.55 and periodically throughout our holiday. Glad they don’t work for me throwing away custom like that. (You would not employ an accountant to build you a wall. You may get it done cheaper but not to the same standard. Come back James all is forgiven ) When the manager was there (well I think he was, blue BMW M5) this did not happen until 11.05 except when there was a world cup match on and quite a few people were in. You could even get another drink after 11.00 even though the staff were not pleased at being told to serve us. ( Had to come off their smart phones and laptop which I think was hidden under the bar ). In the middle of our holiday there were different bar staff on (from reception I think ) a lot better atmosphere. Even different security staff, very pleasant ( man and women ) even assisted in keeping tables clean and collecting glasses. I think the gentleman has left left now. On Saturday 26th of June people who had Groupon deals started to arrive. Not very nice when you’re a loyal customer who has booked and payed your deposit by 31st January as requested to get previous customer discounts. If my daughter had waited she would have saved 50%. Don’t know what I would have saved ( dread to think ). That evening a rugby ball ball bounced off my neighbours caravan window (came from a Groupon guests son in a pod ) When my neighbour complained he said he got threats and abuse from the sons father ( I did not witness this ). After twenty years sometimes two or three times a year on this site he’s said he’s had enough and not coming again. Groupon guest left next morning so no good complaining. Anyway to our last night in the bar ( thurs 10th ) my wife and myself were stood outside the bar on the veranda at 10.55 enjoying our last drink in plastic glasses with the bar locked and alarmed with an embarrassed security guard. As I said at the beginning we have being coming for 16 years and in that time we have seen the good, bad and ugly. Some other guests have commented on this web site that there is loud music from the bar after 11.00. Rubbish, only loud music after this time is from other guests on their pitches. Toilet / shower blocks dirty! These are inspected frequently and cleaned if required, its guests and especially unsupervised children who leave them dirty. Noise late at night! Unruly teenagers / children, that’s why we give school holidays a miss now so we just have to put up with it on a weekend. Children to leave bar at 9.00! Never seen this happen, it was a lot better when they were not allowed at all. We used to sit in the children/teenager areas when our children were young. Dogs allowed on site all season next year and in the bar area! Not sure about that one, as some people cannot or will not control their children never mind a dog. I remember the Rottweiler tied up outside the pool last year. The nice lady in reception knows what I’m on about. You don’t need a security guard after hours sat in a wooden hut near the entrance but ground staff / wardens patrolling 24/7 to implement the site rules But apart from all this, this is still a very good site. I am an LPG gas engineer and work on static and touring caravan sites in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire so I have seen a lot of issues. I give this site 9/10. Even though my daughter has said she’s not coming back my wife and myself may. ( probably will have to be under another name and address though )

Room Tip: If your pitched on a slight slope and the weather turns poor, you are better off as your tent or awn...