“Ok caravan site.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paignton
Waterside Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was at this campsite a year ago so maybe things have changed since then. Upon arriving at the site it did not look too bad. We checked in, got our key for the caravan and off we went to find it. We were very disappointed when we got to the caravan. It was right near where the train passes and the caravan itself did not look too good inside. Also the lawn Maintenace was not kept up, there were weeds and stinging nettles everywhere. My 2 year old actually fell in the stinging nettles while we were getting ready to go back to the front desk.We were supposed to have a certain grade caravan and I knew for sure what we got was not the grade we paid for. So back to the front desk we went and asked if we could be changed. The ladies at the front were very helpful and changed us right away. They also gave me some stuff for my little ones stings.
The next caravan was lovely and the views were amazing.
There is not too much for children to do there. There was supposed to be a kids club in the afternoon, but when we went one day nothing was going on. Now we were there in the middle of July, a week before the schools broke up for the summer. So I would have thought they would have had a few things for kids going on in the day time.
The entertainment at night was ok. The performers were really nice and friendly, but the shows were repeated through out the week, so a couple of the shows we saw twice in the 7 days we were there. It would have been nice to have a different show every night.
It is not a far walk to the beach or the waterpark. We walked down there most days. We did not go to the waterpark as it was quite busy.
We did ride the steam train that is right near the site. That was really nice and the kids loved it.
The little shop on site was great and the prices were very good. It is small. But again within walking distance there are a couple of shops off the site you can walk to. The restaurant on site ( I cannot remember the name) was pretty good and the prices were not bad either. We did eat there for breakfast and dinner a couple of times.
The couple of problems I had with the park was lawn Maintenace, it was not kept up, weeds and long grass was everywhere.
They need more entertainment for children in the day time.
Entertainment at night needs to be better and they should not be repeating the shows in a week. You would think a holiday park would have many different shows to where they would not need to repeat 2 or 3 of the shows throughout the week.
I was happy there was lots to do outside the caravan site (walking and driving) as we would have been quite bored if there wasn't.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view caravan, if you do not mind walking up a lot of stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Forever9810
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Waterside Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Many thanks Forever9810 for your comments. I am sorry for the mix up with your accommodation, very rarely do we make errors with our accommodation and I am pleased our friendly reception team were able to rectify the issue quickly.
We are an active participant in the David Bellamy conservation scheme and as such we leave certain areas of our park to grow "wild" (we have rare forms of plant life that we encourage to grow in as much of a natural environment as possible), I am sorry to note that your son was stung and I do hope he has suffered no long term effect from this. We have quite a comprehensive entertainment programme for all ages and times are posted to inform our guests what is happening and when. Thank you bringing this to my attention, I will investigate as to why the programmed event did not take place. I appreciate your kind remarks regarding the reception, restaurant and entertainment teams, I will be sure to pass these onto them as it always gives them a boost to receive such positive feedback (I will also look into the repetitiveness of our shows, they should only be run once a week).
Thank you again for your review, I have taken your comments on board and I will use them to further enhance the guest experience at Waterside.
We hope to see you again soon

There are newer reviews for Waterside Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK

Reviewed 26 July 2014

great location we could see the steam train pass every day lovely helpful staff great entertainment evenings the singers where very good . Beer and drink prices are a bit expensive. great bars pubs and restaurants in paignton and torqauy a lovely zoo

2  Thank Paul j

Hi Paul j, thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for the kind comments regarding the staff and entertainment.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We visited the park for a long weekend, booked via the Sun holidays. We had stayed at the park before so knew what to expect. Previously when I have stayed at Waterside we have upgraded, but on this occasion we decided not to because of budget constraints. On arrival we were welcomed by a friendly receptionist - the shop which was based in the same building seemed reasonably priced, and well equipped with the basics.

We were able to park right by our caravan so unpacking was easy. The first thing that hit us when we entered was the smell of smoke- either the cleaner had been smoking just inside the entrance or a previous occupant had - it was a shame the caravan hadn't been properly aired before we arrived. The smell cleared after a day of our trip, but wasn't the most welcoming arrival! The caravan was large, well equipped with the basics and clean. We were missing a couple of kitchen items which were delivered to us within 10 minutes of us raising the issue. I'm sure if we had raised the smoke smell this would have been dealt with just as quickly.

We spent most our time hiking and swimming in the various coves dotted around the coast so didn't spend much time on the park. The opening times of the shop and swimming pool were a little annoying - often when we had been out for the day they would be closed by the time we had arrived back. It would be good if they could perhaps have a couple of evenings with a later pool opening time. When we did visit the pool on our last day it was really well heated, and well staffed. Changing room and pools spotless. The life guards were also clearly keeping watch as they provided one young child with a rubber ring so she could play with her older siblings.

The nearest beach is Shell Cove - a small little beach only exposed at lowish tide - but a lovely location for swimming in the sea if you can catch it at the right time. All along that stretch of coast there are great beaches to explore (Churston Cove and Fishcombe Cove are beautiful, parking by Brixham holiday park). On one day we walked from the park to Brixham then caught the boat back to Paignton. From there we walked back to the park, but you could bus it if you wanted to. We also spent an afternoon exploring Berryhead nature reserve which is well worth a visit - the lady in the visitor centre was really helpful.

The one thing which let the park down was the entertainment. On the plus side it wasn't excessively noisy which can be an issue with young children especially trying to sleep at night! Quite a few of the machines in the arcade weren't working, which is a bit of a let down for kids who enjoy playing them. The team providing the entertainment didn't seem to stick to the program, or if they did they only spent a very short amount of time on an activity - there was lots of 'filler' music whilst nothing was happening. During the karaoke we had the same song three times! It didn't bother us that much as after a long day of walking we only stayed a short while, but I could see how it would be a disappointment for people wanting to have an evening of fun.

Would certainly return, the location is what makes this park

1  Thank Bagpussruth

Hello Bagpussruth, thank you for this review. I appreciate you bringing the smoke issue to our attention. We do ask our guests not to smoke in our accommodation (this is however very difficult to enforce) and none of our team members are permitted to smoke in any accommodation. I will ask the contract housekeeping manager to remind their team of this simple instruction. I am very pleased that we were quick to respond to your inventory issues.
We have recently extended our pool opening hours in response to similar comments made on park by other guests. We receive many comments on our entertainment and they have been a very mixed bag. Entertainment, as I am sure you will agree, is of a very personal taste and whatever entertainment we provide we will not please everybody all of the time. Unfortunately karaoke songs can be repetitive depending on our guests song choice.
Thank you very much for your comments and the kind remarks about the pool and the friendly staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, there are some great walks in the local area which I'm sure you and your family will enjoy.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We probably weren't your typical Waterside Holiday Park customers, being 6 SCUBA divers looking for affordable accommodation near Dartmouth, but I chose to book two 8 berth Silver caravans, giving us the luxury of a bedroom each.

On this basis, the caravans were roomy and comfortable and I have no quibble at all about the cleanliness of the caravans, both were as good as any caravan I've ever stayed in (and better than many!).

One was close to the shop and bar and on the first night (about 11:30) there were a group of noisy teenagers running around and squealing, but they moved away from us quite soon.

Sadly, they were staying close to the other caravan and I'm told were noisily drunk (and ill) for most of the night.

The second night (a Saturday) was much quieter and it was pretty peaceful, or maybe we were just more tired after a day's diving?

The staff in the shop/checkin area were helpful and friendly when we dealt with them,

We didn't really use any of the facilities, eating at the Waterside Inn down the road, so I can't really comment. The onsite bars didn't really appeal and the Waterside Inn's food was pub fare, but reasonably priced and decent quality with a decent selection of beer.

For us, the Waterside park provided what we needed, somewhere comfortable to sleep within striking distance of our dive boat at Dartmouth. If you're in the area, which easily includes Brixham, Torbay and Torquay as well as Paignton, too, it seems a decent place to base yourself.

Probably more of 3.5 star experience really - Average sounds negative, but Very Good is too strong, but I feel generous, so 4 it is.

Room Tip: Our mates in the caravan further from the bars, pool, etc suffered more from noise than us, so there...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank snowman40

Thank you, snowman40 for your comments. I'm really pleased Waterside suited your needs and you enjoyed your stay with us. Such a shame you didn't try our facilities, they are comparable to other offerings in the area, especially dining. Like so many others on Tripadvisor this season you have commented on how friendly you have found our team and how clean our accommodation is, we have worked extremely hard to improve in these areas in recent months and we are getting better, thank you for mentioning this.
We hope to see you again soon, thank you again for your review

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The main reason I booked Waterside was because it was pet friendly and located within the area we wanted to stay. I was extremely disappointed to find out from the very first day that my 10 month old puppy was only allowed into the veranda outside the Smugglers Inn. We had previously stayed at another pet friendly caravan park in Newquay, Cornwall where our puppy was allowed anywhere we were provided he was kept on a lead. Quite frankly I do not know how they have the audacity to advertise this as "pet friendly". Its a joke!!!! Moving away from this, the reception and shop (located inside reception) closed daily at 5.30pm and didn't open until 08.30am. We are on holiday and expected the facilities to stay open longer. Same goes for the Smugglers Inn which closed at 8pm daily. Is this not a pub??? The whole holiday was ruined by their rules and we ended spending all our time off the Camp. We shall never return to Waterside!!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kellyjpyke
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Waterside Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you, kellyjpyke, for your comments. To clarify the pet situation, we allow pets into all of our Bronze standard accommodation and a select few of our Gold and Silver standards too. Our guests are welcome to take their pets and sit on the veranda area outside of the Smugglers restaurant however, they are not permitted to take them into our food and beverage areas. All of our facilities opening times are clearly displayed throughout the park, by the entrances to the buildings. The Smugglers Inn is our dining area and, during off-peak times, does close at 8.00pm. However, the Yacht Club, directly opposite is open until at least 11.00pm nightly, longer during the weekends. Thank you again for your review, I am sorry that Waterside did not meet with your expectations

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Our 3rd time here but since last visit 2 years ago the really nice shop has gone and now it is a small version in the reception area which isnt so good. Caravan was clean but the carpet was very stained but when I walked past another van with a collie dog and terrier sat in the window it is no surprise vans get mucky.

No egg cups, no tea pot but linen was very clean.

Our caravan Number 32 rocked like being on the ocean as it was supported by bricks and bits of wood - see pics. If you moved the curtains rocked and if one got out of bed the other person swayed. It made me feel quite sick and even when we came home I could still feel it, not at all nice. One day we had no hot water and I went to report it and the men were there to deal with it before I had walked back so that was great service. I mentioned it to the men the van was rocking and was told not to worry it was chained down. Ummmm great but it didnt reassure me.

All in all caravan itself was good and site good but for heavens sake dont have caravan 32 and Park Holidays take note.

Room Tip: Dont have number 32
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Yassos9, many thanks for your review. All of our caravans are supported by blocks, axle stands and packing (usually pieces of wood) to ensure safety and stability, however our maintenance team will investigate this report despite them telling you it was ok., thank you for letting us know. I am pleased you found our service swift and effective when you reported the hot water tap. Although our caravans are well equipped with various inventory items, we do appreciate that our guests may need extra items, these are available from our Reception upon request. These items do include tea pots and egg cups. The shop has been relocated and is smaller than it used to be, it does still have a very good and varied range of goods for our guests needs. We are really pleased you enjoyed your holiday with us, we hope to see you again soon.
Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Amazing views, lovely clean accommodation, great facilities, friendly staff. The only downsides are quite a steep climb to our caravan and no parking next to the caravan - parking only a minutes walk away, but worth it for the views. We can't wait to go back.

1  Thank Claire P

Many thanks Claire P for your kind comments regarding the staff, facilities and accommodation at Waterside. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Thanks for your review

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Travelodge Paignton Seafront
Devoncourt Resort & Apartments
Landscove Holiday Park
Landscove Holiday Park
#5 of 8 in Brixham

Been to Waterside Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK? Share your experiences!