“Lovely place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paignton
Waterside Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK
Birmingham
“Lovely place”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Had a really good holiday would holiday here again everyone was friendly caravan was lovely with plenty of room not all cramped up like we have had at other camp sites beautifull views of the sea and beach short bus rides to all local towns buses every ten minuets lovely walks A+

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Neenee78
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Waterside Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
What can I say Neenee78 except for see you again soon for more of the same.
Many thanks for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Bromsgrove, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is our 2nd visit, the last was 2 years ago. We hire a private van which didn't include the club passes but they were really cheap anyway, although never checked inside the club so only really needed them for bingo.
Still as impressed as the first time, infact I think the park looked much better, some newer caravans, the grass was cut and the plants/ flowers around the park were lovely.
The club could do with a lick of paint and the entertainment weren't as good as 2 years ago. We went every night 2 years ago but cut it down to every other night or so this year. There was a lack of staff and atmosphere for the adults. I felt sorry for the staff there weren't enough of them for banter and looked like the budget had been cut.i think this will need looking at this is a big part of people's holidays and just wasn't good enough this year.
I do think the childrens entertainment was excellent they were entertained throughout the night but adults were not so entertained.
Still love this location the view is amazing, it's close to everything.
I paid for the parks wifi while here I had 3 days worth then it refused to pick it up again, glad I never paid for more your better off using your network and paying for extra data. This needs sorting was a complete waste of my money it needs updating, I paid for a service that let me down.
The swimming pool was great and the staff on this were brilliant as always.
Hope to return again soon..

Hopefully the grass under the bridge on the coastal path could be sorted it was so high and dry, I know this isn't the sites fault.

Room Tip: Hire privately. Don't pay for wifi on the site.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello Michelle C, I am really pleased you enjoyed your second visit with us (it's especially pleasing for me that you have noticed the improvements that we have made as I have been the manager of this park for just over 2 years).
We intend to redecorate our main Complex this winter, we did carry out some minor redecoration in 2013, you may remember that half of the Yacht Club was bright orange?. We have now resolved the staffing issue and we are working with a full team. Thank you for the kind comment regarding the children's entertainment, whilst I appreciate that the team is smaller than 2 years ago, I believe we still provide good, varied entertainment programme. I will pass on your comments to our WiFi provider for their attention and resolution. Likewise I will pass on your comments regarding the pool swimming team.
We have taken it upon ourselves to go out & the grass on the Headland, for some strange reason the local authority no longer cuts this.
Thank you for your review, I hope it's not 2 years until we welcome you again.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have just returned from a weeks break at Waterside. There was myself, my partner, 4 month old baby and our dog. Can't fault the location at all, pretty much 10 - 15 minutes drive from other areas, Paignton, Brixham, Torquay and 5 / 10 minute walk to Goodrington Beach which is probably the closest, most easiest to access beach.

The site itself has it's pro's and con's. We were in a Bronze caravan and can appreciate that we would not get one of the better vans because of having a dog, however the van we were allocated had not been cleaned properly, carpet had not been hoovered and lino was filthy, we had to brush the carpet and buy floor wipes to clean the lino. The rest of the van, surfaces etc were clean. Caravan itself had ample room for us, 3 beds. Linen provided was laundered and clean.

Parking sometimes an issue, each van not got its own space so sometimes have to park further away from van. No speed signs or arrows etc around site. Disappointed to see some people driving at speed around the site. Not good when loads of kids about. Should be speed humps and 5 mph limit.

Pool area clean and lifeguard welcoming. Our little girl had her first time in the pool.

Smugglers Inn....the pub....not great. Can't remember her name, but two female staff were friendly, polite and helpful. Chef's and other staff a little rude and seemed stressed. On one occasion we waited nearly one hour for take away. People were being turned away as they wouldn't cook nothing else, however member of staff asked for a chicken burger and they said yes we can do that for you, don't worry about paying. If that's the case don't let paying customers that are being turned away hear it. Closes early too.....we would have stayed outside the pub longer as couldn't take the dog in the entertainment section.

Arcade okay....we were happy with it.

Big focus on sales on site, marketing to buy actual caravan we stayed in inside was out of date.

Shop had everything we needed and priced okay but closed quite early.

Personally I think the site in some areas is understaffed and is badly managed, bring more staff in. Opportunities are being missed.

Would visit Devon again but will give this site a miss, wasn't terrible but certainly better accommodation about for the price that we paid.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Waterside Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Many thanks for your comments. There has been a couple of negative remarks lately on Tripadvisor regarding the drop in cleanliness standards of our holiday accommodation, we have taken these up with the contract cleaning company and they will be resolved. I am sorry that you found your accommodation not to be as clean as it should have been. We do have ample parking on park, although some parking is adjacent to our caravans. We have many directional arrows, speed limit signs and speed bumps around the park. Unfortunately people speeding around the park is very difficult to police, we do try to control it as best we can. Admittedly staffing has been an issue lately however we have now resolved this and we are able to continue to offer our guests a high quality service. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the 2 girls in the Smugglers Inn and our lifeguards, I will be sure to pass these comments on. I am concerned about the rude chef's and the non-paying member of staff, I will investigate this and resolve.
Thank you again for your review.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just returned from a lovely holiday at this park probably helped by the beautiful weather and professional staff. On our arrival we had a look around and visited the very nice heated outdoor pool. On first impressions our caravan looked very clean, looked good for a ‘Bronze’ and mattresses looked new. However on closer inspection the cups had previous stains so had to wash them all again. The caravan was situated close to the entertainment so heard all the music and people passing our caravan to come home. If you have small children try and get a caravan away from this area The entertainment staff were lovely and very friendly, great with children, but honestly the timing schedule was dreadful. Adult bingo commenced at 7pm. Then the children’s games and fun things for the children started at 7.30pm followed by the main entertainment. One night the main act appeared at 9pm and all the children had to wait for their ‘Talent Contest’ to start at 10.15pm.There were small children who were very tired yet the entertainment staff made them wait till this time to perform! Not happy parents! The entertainment was mostly done by the entertainment staff. Credit to them for trying!! Many nights the entertainment area was two thirds empty. The arcade was average. Machines kept alarming, not working and undermanaged. However my child adored it! The Smugglers Inn was the main food place. On one occasion we waited forty five minutes for our meals and only had one type of beer. Most of the nights it was empty. Very disappointing. The swimming pool was the best entertainment. Staff were lovely and it was heated. The shop facilities were very average. The shop was expensive and most walked to the Coop down the road. The shop closed at 5.30pm. This was a big let down as visitors arrived back from their day away and there was no on site shop open. Accessible beach but you had to mountain climb lots of big boulders to access one of the main beaches or walk a fair distance to access the main steps. There was a smaller pebbled little beach area which was accessible by walking down a hill area only available when the tide was out. Great steam train passed through the site. Very nice to see!
Overall we did have a lovely holiday because the weather was great and the caravan site was nice, clean and staff were polite and really did their best with what they had. Sort out better quality entertainment, much improved restaurant, arcade area, onsite shopping times include larger shopping area and this caravan park would be wonderful.
Special thanks to Richie, Emma and Heather who were brilliant with the kids. Must mention one of the female bar staff who worked her socks off, dashing around, yet always smiling, and sometimes even dancing! Special mention to the male life guard at the main pool. Very focused and talked to the children and made sure they were safe in the pool.

1 Thank Naomi D
Hi Naomi D, thank you for your review. I am pleased you had a good holiday with us and enjoyed what we had to offer. We have just reviewed the timing of certain events during the evening and have made several changes, the children's time is now much earlier and Bingo is now later, a solution that we hope will suit all. Over the last 3 or 4 weeks we have had a staffing issue which did mean that our service both in the restaurant and main complex area was not as sharp or attentive as it usually is, I apologise for this, however we have now resolved this and we are back up to full strength. We have had several comments regarding the shop prices and the opening times which we have taken on board and both issues are are currently under review.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the professional staff, entertainment team and Chris, our male lifeguard. Thank you once again for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back soon
Halifax
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

After travelling 5 hours we arrived at what looked to be a beautiful location. After reading a pervious review titled 'don't expect too much' we did. We landed early and headed for the beach which can only be described as a quarry. We took the kids to the heated out door pool which is lovely and waited for our caravan. The caravan was in a good location but was let down by the unclean living area and dirty bedding, "take your own".
Really don't expect too much with the club house and arcades... The shows are poor and by the same people every night, the kids arcades where a disaster!! Constant alarm from the change machine that didn't have any change and games that had run out of tokens for the kids prizes. We took this up with the evening manager "Scott" who's communication skills where as good as the toddlers playing the games!! Very poor.. Under managed and under staffed........
Not good when you can't wait to get out of the complex.
Paignton beach however is a beautiful place and I would highly recommend staying closer to action.
Overall, beautiful place, poor caravan park!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank KML2
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Waterside Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you KML2 for your review. Waterside is in a beautiful location with many sandy beaches within easy walking distance. The "quarry" you describe is Saltern Cove which in itself is a lovely little area with a small beach and plenty of rock pools. As with a similar previous comment made on Tripadvisor regarding the entertainment, my response is the same, entertainment is purely of a personal taste and will not suit all of our guests. We have had a real issue with staff this season in the complex and most of the team are new to us. This is our current Complex manager's first posting as a Complex Manager and I am positive that once he has settled in, he will prove to be an asset to Park Holidays UK. The issues with the machines in the arcade have now been resolved. Whilst I fully appreciate this doesn't help your situation in any way, we do have to wait for an engineer to attend our machines once faults are reported.
Thank you once again for your comments and I am sorry you found that all was not to your expectations at Waterside.
Leicester
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked a private caravan at www.static-caravan.co.uk (UK Private Static Caravan Hire
Waterside Park, Paignton, Torbay, Devon
Seabreeze 118)
This caravan has stunning views, read the write up on static carvan as it is true to it's ad.
The park itself is small, the entertainment is only £5.35 per person per week but no checks are made on the door, you can walk in, you only need the passes to play bingo, no pass = no claim if you win! There were 2 girls and a guy and they provided (bless them for trying) various singing entertainment all week. it really was shocking but you get what you pay for. The club was virtually empty but we went 19-26 July not quite high season yet.
Reception were friendly and attentive. I needed some bedding changed and they were there almost as soon as I had trekked up the steep hill back to the caravan! Small shop in reception (and I mean small) very overpriced. On the good side re shopping however; go out of the park and turn right and there is a Sainsbury's and an Asda on your right (look out for them as set back or you will miss them) not far away.
Beaches are mainly shingle although if you jump in the car if you are not so active and go to Brixham they have a lovely little beach, beware there is no shade whatsoever! It has a lifeguard and cafe/toilets and plenty of pay and display parking (about £4 for 4 hours which is the norm around that area).
We didn't eat at the park as the food looked typical holiday park junkfood but travelled out to various locations each day. Torquay is fairly close but traffic is single file into the town and can be queues, there are lots of shops, pubs, cafes and a big wheel, nice harbourside. Brixham is also close and has a good variety of shops, cafes, pubs etc. the harbourside is lovely with plenty of seating.
All in all we had a good holiday but it's not the place for sandy beaches and you have to get in the car and travel if you have any less able persons in your party (we had our 80 yr old parents) but on the plus side the caravan is beautiful and the view is stunning, you can sit and look out to Torquay on your left and Brixham on your right, the morning sunrise is gorgeous.
Take a trip to Berry Head National nature reserve if you get the chance, stunning views, peaceful too but beware if you have small children as there are sheer drops and no fencing 9it is a nature reserved after all!).
Caravan fantastic
Park - needs an update and overhaul-good base but not much else going for it!

1 Thank Wannabetravellers
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Waterside, both I and the caravan owner appreciate them. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay in 118 and enjoyed the stunning views it has to offer. The entertainment is well documented throughout Tripadvisor and my response rarely changes, entertainment is of a very personal taste and whatever we provide will not always please all of our guests. Im very pleased that our reception team were quick to resolve your linen issue (I am aware of other issues during your stay, which I have now dealt with).
With regards to our menu, we offer a varied selection of items, anything from chips to curry, lamb shanks to lasagnes, sausages to steaks, not all ‘junk food’ I hope you will agree.
All in all, I am pleased that you had a good holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Thank you once again for your review.
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was at this campsite a year ago so maybe things have changed since then. Upon arriving at the site it did not look too bad. We checked in, got our key for the caravan and off we went to find it. We were very disappointed when we got to the caravan. It was right near where the train passes and the caravan itself did not look too good inside. Also the lawn Maintenace was not kept up, there were weeds and stinging nettles everywhere. My 2 year old actually fell in the stinging nettles while we were getting ready to go back to the front desk.We were supposed to have a certain grade caravan and I knew for sure what we got was not the grade we paid for. So back to the front desk we went and asked if we could be changed. The ladies at the front were very helpful and changed us right away. They also gave me some stuff for my little ones stings.
The next caravan was lovely and the views were amazing.
There is not too much for children to do there. There was supposed to be a kids club in the afternoon, but when we went one day nothing was going on. Now we were there in the middle of July, a week before the schools broke up for the summer. So I would have thought they would have had a few things for kids going on in the day time.
The entertainment at night was ok. The performers were really nice and friendly, but the shows were repeated through out the week, so a couple of the shows we saw twice in the 7 days we were there. It would have been nice to have a different show every night.
It is not a far walk to the beach or the waterpark. We walked down there most days. We did not go to the waterpark as it was quite busy.
We did ride the steam train that is right near the site. That was really nice and the kids loved it.
The little shop on site was great and the prices were very good. It is small. But again within walking distance there are a couple of shops off the site you can walk to. The restaurant on site ( I cannot remember the name) was pretty good and the prices were not bad either. We did eat there for breakfast and dinner a couple of times.
The couple of problems I had with the park was lawn Maintenace, it was not kept up, weeds and long grass was everywhere.
They need more entertainment for children in the day time.
Entertainment at night needs to be better and they should not be repeating the shows in a week. You would think a holiday park would have many different shows to where they would not need to repeat 2 or 3 of the shows throughout the week.
I was happy there was lots to do outside the caravan site (walking and driving) as we would have been quite bored if there wasn't.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view caravan, if you do not mind walking up a lot of stairs.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Forever9810
Many thanks Forever9810 for your comments. I am sorry for the mix up with your accommodation, very rarely do we make errors with our accommodation and I am pleased our friendly reception team were able to rectify the issue quickly.
We are an active participant in the David Bellamy conservation scheme and as such we leave certain areas of our park to grow "wild" (we have rare forms of plant life that we encourage to grow in as much of a natural environment as possible), I am sorry to note that your son was stung and I do hope he has suffered no long term effect from this. We have quite a comprehensive entertainment programme for all ages and times are posted to inform our guests what is happening and when. Thank you bringing this to my attention, I will investigate as to why the programmed event did not take place. I appreciate your kind remarks regarding the reception, restaurant and entertainment teams, I will be sure to pass these onto them as it always gives them a boost to receive such positive feedback (I will also look into the repetitiveness of our shows, they should only be run once a week).
Thank you again for your review, I have taken your comments on board and I will use them to further enhance the guest experience at Waterside.
We hope to see you again soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Summerhill Hotel
#17 of 17 in Paignton
Beverley Holidays
Beverley Holidays
#2 of 24 in Paignton

Been to Waterside Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK? Share your experiences!