“Superb Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Superb Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

As regular visitors to Paignton we've walked past this restaurant a lot and never taken the time to stop. We booked for the Saturday of Valentines weekend and weren't disappointed.
The food was superb, the service excellent and the atmosphere just right.
We shall make a point of going back again next time we're in town and will recommend it to any other visitors!

• Visited February 2014

“Restores faith in human nature”
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Due to family illness we had to cancel our New Year holiday. My husband had booked New Year's Eve dining at La Scala following good revues. We sent a 25% deposit (not asked for, but we wanted to be sure of a table) and chose our food from Max's great set menu for the evening. Unfortunately on 30 December my husband had to call Max to cancel; not only did he understand but offered to tear our cheque up! But Max then went one better and took the time to send us a New Year's card with his good wishes and our cancelled cheque inside. Now that's what I call Customer Service! You can be sure we will be visiting Max at La Scala as soon as we can get to visit Devon this year.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Gluttonaire
UK
“A real find!”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I've lived locally for years, yet never knew this restaurant was tucked away waiting to be found! Very conveniently located between the main town shops and the sea front, it's unassuming facade belies what is behind. Sadly for them there were only a few tables in the night we dined, but the food and the service were truly excellent. Lovely traditional Italian food - we'll be back!

• Visited December 2013
Milan, Italy
“Perfect”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I'm Italian and I assert that the food is very delicious!! In particular main courses and desserts
In my opinion La Scala is the best restaurant in Paignton.
I like the athmosphere too and the owner is really kind.
I heartily recommend to eat there!

• Visited April 2013
Chippenham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Drowned”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Looking at previous reviews I do feel we must have simply had an off night for the chef as really did not think the food was anything special. The mushrooms to start were fine, the salmon with Lobster bisque and prawns were drowned in sauce with what seemed cheap frozen very small prawns. The main course I had pasta which was "fine" and my husband had monk fish with a caper and tomato sauce which was completely drowned to the point you could not distinguish what fish you were eating and he found 2 capers in the flood! We had 1 small glass wine and half a coke and that cost £53, sorry but really disappointed, must say though attentive service in the old fashion style.

Visited October 2013