“A wonderful stay at Ashleigh Guest House” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ashleigh Guesthouse
Ranked #12 of 100 Paignton B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Winchester, United Kingdom
“A wonderful stay at Ashleigh Guest House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at the Ashleigh Guest House in July 2014 and if I am honest I cannot fault the premises whatsoever.
The room we stayed in was very clean, tidy and spotless. The beds were comfortable and the bed linen clean and pressed. Facilities in the room were also excellent with an alarm clock, plenty of lights, a ceiling fan, which was very useful as the weather was very warm.
The windows and shades were clean despite the best efforts of seagulls, which is a hazard anywhere near the beach.
The room had a wash basin and an en-suite shower and toilet, all of which were very clean down to spotless sealant around the shower. One relished having a shower without being "afraid" to touch anything in the bathroom. The room also featured a cool box to cool, but not refrigerate water or whatever.
The room we stayed in was a twin and was very quiet with no noise emanating from other rooms in the guest house.
Tea/coffee, cocoa facilities were always replenished daily and we were never short of these. Biscuits were also supplied free and again, were replenished daily.
The breakfast menu was exhaustive and one filled out one's preferences on a sheet the night before and it was all taken care of so that your breakfast was also a treat. As much produce as possible was sourced locally, which was nice to know that they owners supported the local businesses.
The view out of our window was across a cricket / rugby pitch which gave a pleasant vista. At the far side of the pitch one could see the Dartmouth to Paignton steam railway and could see and hear the locomotive pulling away. The trains do not run before 1000 so there was no reason to worry about any noise from that source.
For those of you that smoke, there is a dedicated "smoking area" on a pleasant veranda looking out over the pitch as mentioned above. There is also a sun lounge to sit and relax in should the weather turn inclement.
The owners, Mick and Hazel are a very nice couple who do not overbear, but nevertheless cater for their guests every need are friendly, approachable and on leaving, one feels as though one is leaving the company of good friends known for years.
Paignton centre is only five minutes walk as the Steam railway about six minutes walk. There are plenty of restaurants within five to ten minutes walk so one should never go hungry. There is plenty of information at the guest house should one want to venture further afield for food, entertainment or outdoor activities. As you can imagine, most of the attractions are child friendly
Overall, we had a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable time staying at the Ashleigh and would definitely return without hesitation. I really cannot praise Mick and Hazel enough for making the holiday such a great one.

Green Features: All food is sourced locally and...see additional information.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Fife, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We had a lovely week stay at the Ashleigh on arrival owner Mick moved his car so that we could park also offered to help to carry luggage up for us ,mean time Hazel was offering hot drinks n biscuits .Our room was lovely and there was bus and train timetable's and other leaflet's of places to visit ,nothing was to much bother for Mick or Hazel breakfast choices were great all in all I would highly recommend Ashleigh Guest house to everyone .ive stayed in hotel's that charge lot's more and they don't offer half as much as the lovely Hazel n Mick x

Room Tip: Look at other people's reviews
Green Features: From what I could see it was environmentally _friendly
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Nice guest house. Very hospitable couple. Room clean and nice. Bathroom small. Breakfast Lovley. Liked fact we could choose what to have . Good location. Nice Italian at bottom of street . Few near by pubs plenty food options

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had a perfect three days at the Ashleigh - starting from the moment we were greeted by Hazel and until our last day when after check-out we were graciously offered to leave our car in the car park until we left town.

Lovely warm welcome, we were offered a hot drink before going up to our room - a first for us when staying at guest houses and a lovely touch. Mick also offered to help with the bags. The room overlooked the cricket ground and the steam railway and was lovely and quiet. There is a ceiling fan which did help a lot in the very hot weather. The room was totally spotless as was the bathroom. Both looked newly refurbished. Great comfortable bed, pillows just right.

Another pleasant surprise - breakfast choices (asked for the day before to prevent wasting of food, and I liked that too) which included not only full English but a choice of fruit salad as a starter, and mains such as smoked salmon and scrambled egg, salmon steak and poached egg, toasted sandwiches, egg Benedict, croissants and possibly more - I can't even remember them all. We had spent the previous night at the Berry Head hotel paying £120 for room and breakfast and they charged extra £2.50 for smoked salmon and egg - seems rather mean compared with the Ashleigh! I had the poached salmon one morning and it was faultless. And the home-made marmalade I ate straight from the saucer by the spoonful!! The only way to do it justice as it was delicious. The full English was also perfect. Great coffee - so important to us for a good breakfast, and it was refilled by Mick the way they do in the US, just when you need a top-up. The dining room itself was another big surprise - the beautiful table settings are 5 star.

The guest house is easy to find and is a very short walk from the beach, town shops and the steam railway station, but at the same time lovely and quiet. we would definitely recommend it and would stay again - thank you so much to Hazel and Mick for your hospitality and for looking after us so well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
South Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

After a lengthy, tiring but enjoyable journey I really hoped and needed to quickly check in and chill out in my pre booked room...I was greeted by proprietor Hazel who immediately made me welcome and provided me with all the important guesthouse details including where to park and more importantly; breakfast choice /timetable!
My lovely & clean, well fitted room (No 1) overlooks a tranquil park area /cricket pitch. Leading from the foyer there is a convenient veranda leading to a comfortable conservatory where folks can relax and look over the cricket ground towards the steam railway.
I ventured out into the guesthouse foyer to be met by Hazel`s partner Mick, he patiently & kindly helped me sort out with a few time sensitive & important items.
The location of the guesthouse is straightforward to find. It ensures a quiet stay and after my comfortable nights sleep I anticipated a hearty breakfast.
Mick and Hazel have their busy breakfast /dining room service very well organised and upon taking my seat Hazel then confirmed my pre ordered `full English` was on its way!
No sooner had I finished my fruit juice and cereals then it was Mick who appeared with coffee & my `full English` ......a perfect start to a long day.
After my two nights stay I was surprised how `sad` I felt checking out and leaving the Ashleigh.......wish I was staying for at least a week!...trouble is I would have put on a Stone!

Room Tip: ......no `heads-up` they`re all equally high standard & quiet .......if you do fancy overlooking...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

My Dad and I decided to have a weekend break and picked Ashleigh Guesthouse after looking on the web. We wasn't disapointed. We had a lovely welcome from Mick and Hazel and they made us feel welcomed from the moment we arrived. The room was spotless, with a lovely view over the cricket ground to the steam railway. The breakfast was superb and set us up for the rest of the day. It really was a splendid stay and I would recommend this guesthouse. I can't wait until my next visit which will be very soon.

Room Tip: Please ignore the swimming pool rating. Clicked in error. No swimming pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Wednesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

A lovely warm welcome by Mick and Hazel ensuring we were parked safely, coffee, biscuits and help with our bags. The rooms were inviting, clean and comfortable. We were greeted with a marvellous breakfast which even my fussy children raved about, in a bright and inviting dining room. Our favourites were the turkey sausages, salmon and scrambled egg, warmed croissants and the home made marmalade! Wouldn't visit Paignton without checking availability!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family