“Friday night dinner”

Price range: US$7 - US$17
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Excellent food and service. Lively atmosphere, good selection of drinks. Children and dog friendly
Castle Donington, United Kingdom
“Friday night dinner”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Half term and the early evening rush was on. The service was good and the food was excellent, especially the turbot with pineapple on the specials. Good value too.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank dhstephens0n

Paignton, United Kingdom
“Waste of time”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I visited the Boathouse on 29th May 2014. I had planned to have a breakfast after checking the menu on their website. The menu stated breakfast served between 10 and 11:30. My family and I arrived at 10:50 and as we walked in we were told they were not doing breakfast but could have tea and toast. No explanation as to why and the man then walked away. This jogged my memory as I then recalled a visit several years before when exactly the same thing happened. I guess breakfast is just 10 till 11:30 when they can be bothered. Either that or I have visited on the 2 occasions in 5 years or so that they have been unable to deliver what they advertise. I will not be giving them a third chance and would recommend if you are tempted by any of the fare on offer, phone first just to check if they fancy serving any food that day. Also, restaurant looked fairly empty, maybe because they had turned everyone else away or because it is an eatery that doesn't serve food!

1 Thank amunro99
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Shocking service and the looonnnggeeessst wait for food!”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Firstly telephoned to book a table as thought Friday evening would be busy. The lady was rude on the phone and offered us 6.30pm or 8.00pm. They then messed up how many people would be coming so had to wait while tables were reorganised!

Ordered our meals - nothing too amazing that would take ages to cook. My nachos were the last meal out! We waited for over an hour for food and were actually at the point of walking out due and going to get chips! We were starving and I had no desire to be eating a full meal at 9.30pm!

Won't be going back there or recommending it to anyone in a hurry! Such a shame as a beautiful location :(

2 Thank Iz21
“Best place in the bay!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent food, brilliant staff and a cracking view!! Felt really comfortable and well looked after, Will defiantly be back through the summer :)

1 Thank JoeWard95
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Avoid like the plague”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We booked the boathouse for a 60th birthday last night for 12 people (17/04/14) and it is one the birthday girl will never forget for all the wrong reasons.

Before I start my review I cannot fault the staff that were obviously extremely embarrassed about the lack of service and terrible food and could not do enough to appease us. However, when we asked to see the owner she informed her staff that she couldn't come down due to the fact that she was looking after her child. If I had 12 VERY UNHAPPY guests I would have been down there like a shot to try and sort out what was an abysmal evening.

To start off with we were kept waiting for over an hour and a half before the first 2 plates of food appeared then at least another 10 minutes before the next 3 plates appeared and so on until the last ones appeared about 20 minutes after the first 2 (we were I have to say, offered a free bottle of wine for our wait). When it did arrive, the food was totally inedible, cold and tasteless. Three of us sent ours back immediately (sticky lemon and garlic chicken skewers) as they were stone cold, dry and had never seen any lemon or garlic never mind the sticky. We ended up eating some very dry but hot chips which by this time was better than nothing. Then there was the succulent 100% beef burger that looked like it had been left on the griller for two days and was more like a lump of charcoal which should have been served with an axe to cut it instead of a knife. The only two in the group that were relatively happy with their food were the ones who had the Scampi but let’s face it how could they get frozen scampi wrong? The chips however that were served with them were inedible and cold. I could go on but hopefully you have got the gist of how well our evening went from what I have said.

The upshot of the evening was that we ended up having a completely free meal (well, drinks evening as most of us didn’t eat) due to the fact that the very pleasant manager was so embarrassed he wouldn’t have dared to try and charge us.

I for one will never set foot in this establishment again and, as I am in the service industry, will have many laughs with my clients about what I can now say was one of the funniest evenings I have had trying to figure out what the food was. It is a pity though, as with the right owners who cared about what was happening in their restaurant, which is in a fantastic spot with great views this could be an absolute gem.

1 Thank Stuart M