“Nice Hotel, bad room”

Premier Inn Paignton Seafront (Goodrington Sands) Hotel
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here from the 29th - 31st October for a short half term holiday, we choose this Premier Inn because of the close proximity of the Beach, Dartmouth Steam Railway and the zoo.
The hotel is the usual standard for premier inn and the room layouts are all the same.
As we had a long drive down we decided not to have a late night as we wanted a good nights sleep to do the trips in the morning, so we had a meal in the restaurant next door and a drink before going to our room at about 9.30pm.
We were given a ground floor room near the main key card entry door so as you can imagine every time someone came through the door slammed, I was not impressed, then later on whoever was in the room above were so heavy footed it was impossible to get to sleep, so I went to reception to see if there were any other rooms, I was told there where none but that they would move me the next day if any rooms were available.
Around 11.30 the person in the next room decided to leave his television on loud, because there was an adjoining door to this room there was no sound proofing so the television could be clearly heard from our room, again I asked reception if they could have a word, but I don't think they did, the television noise carried on, at 1am I was getting really pissed of so went to reception again! they said they could not hear the television noise, if? they had asked to come in our room they would have heard it.
I was fuming at this point banging on the wall and shouting did nothing, not certain what time I actually got to sleep.
I went to reception when I woke up, spoke to the girl she sorted a room out for me straight away told me it would be ready in a couple of hours by the time I had a walk on the beach came back and had breakfast with my wife and daughter the room was ready, so we packed and moved in straight away. 1st floor room away from any slamming doors.
We had a problem with the door not shutting due to a bent lock plate, my wife went down to speak to reception and as it happened the duty area manager was their, my wife explained the problem with the door and mentioned the previous nights problems. He immediately told us did we know about the good nights sleep guarantee, we knew did not know how to go about getting it, within a few minutes of meeting him we were refunded for the previous nights stay was very impressed with that.
We had a lovely nights sleep that night the only sounds we heard were the ones we wanted, as the room had a sea view so had the sound of the sea which was very relaxing.
I stay in Premier Inns on a regular basis due to work and this was the first time I have ever had to complain, hopefully the last

Room Tip: Ask for 1st floor rooms as quieter
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Usarfireman

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Service was good, food was good. Location was good The ocean and park view was excellent. The refund for my room for that night was unexpected and I am grateful for that. Will I stay there again I'm not sure.
Get rid of that horrible smell.

1  Thank Terry J
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Went there the last weekend of October for a belated 30th wedding anniversary and found the hotel staff to welcoming, the room were clean and tidy. The location was fantastic; it was metres from the beach, downside no lift but if you are ok will stairs then ask for a room on the top floor, we have room 31, view from our room was directly on to the beach and sea, you couldn’t wish for a better view. At this time of year parking wasn’t an issue but can image that at the peak time if may be. The restaurant forms part of the hotel but I won’t review that on this page, they have their own review page, but the food was of a good standard

Room Tip: aim for top floor, if you are ok with the stairs
1  Thank ID23
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We had a few days away mid October to mark my wife's birthday. Reception was quick and effecient although now the registeration is on a "till roll" size paper rather than A4 you may need your glasses handy to read it. The room was as expected, clean tidy and warm with a comfy bed. At night depending on the tide you can go to sleep or wake up to sounds of the waves breaking.
We have never had a problem with finding a parking space but there are only about 10 spaces reserved for Premier Inn visitors and 3 or 4 of those are marked disabled. If pushed the beach car park is open at night and is free. Breakfast is in the conservatory effectively overlooking the sea. If you want an evening meal in the ajoining Brewers Fayre "Inn on the Quay" it is best to book in advance, weekends can be very busy. The food is standard Whitbread fayre. In October the beach is less of an attraction but there are walks from the Premier Inn along the coast into Paignton (currently some work being done to part of this section) or if adventurous it is possible to walk to Broadsands along the cliff path. The steam railway has a limited service at this time of year but is only 5 minutes walk from the Premier Inn. There is a convienence store and amusement arcade nearby should they be needed. The Premier Inn is an extension to the Inn on the Quay which has an interesting history it is worth an internet search of Goodrington Naval Hospital which explains the wall around the car park and the grave in the park next to the Premier Inn.

Room Tip: Avoid room 17 as this does not have a sea view. We have stayed here 5 times. On our third visit we...
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Great location with good friendly service. Sea view room on 1st floor was very good. Restaurant with a nice sea view in the conservatory. Food was of a reasonable standard. Overall a very enjoyable weekend break.

1  Thank Roger W
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Arrived after a 5 hour trip with 9 others in our party to a very happy smiling receptionist who got us all checked in within 5 minutes.
Rooms very clean and spacious with sea view.
Beds were very comfy and a choice of 2 sorts of pillows.
Breakfast you had 2 choices, continental or premier (full cooked as much as you could eat) and was well presented by the most happy restaurant staff I have ever come across and this also goes for the rest of the staff, always smiling, ready to assist you with anything.
The meal in the restaurant at the night time was piping hot and was delivered to our party all at the same time which when your in a group is a bonus.
All the staff at this establishment go beyond the call of duty and anyone staying here should have a relaxed time.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank happytravelerderby
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed with a large group for two nights, It was the first time i had ever been in a Premier Inn and i was not disappointed! Friendly, cheerful, helpful staff, lovely bright clean airy room and a magical sea view with the rocks being beautifully illuminated at night, wonderful!...Bed was very comfy and even had a choice of pillows... Breakfast for 10 was booked in the adjoining pub which was served promptly and with a smile! as was the evening meal..Plenty to do and see in the immediate vicinity around the Inn and the steam train ride is a must!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends