“Excellent - can't wait to return”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Paignton
England
“Excellent - can't wait to return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

What can I say for a British hotel? Excellent staff, rooms, parking, breakfasts...
We were checked in by the manager and we were in our room within 5 minutes of arriving at the hotel. Newly refitted bathroom still had that 'new' smell (not a complaint) all that we needed for a weekend break in the room. Comfortable beds and access to a great leisure complex. Great value for money and cheaper than a Premier Inn!!

Room Tip: Pay for an exec room to get the sea view- not much more much a standard room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

It was our parents 65th wedding anniversary ,we wanted to visit the Eden Project but it was so complex and expensive to find a suitable hotel there that we decided to stay at the Palace and travel - a little over an hour .The Palace is clean , comfortable , the food is excellent and the staff very attentive and helpful and we had a super sea view . We never had time to use the amenaties but there was evening entertainment ,swimming pool etc we will have to try those next time .Parents had been before and we didnt think it could be as good as they said but they proved us wrong . We were on a special 4 day break rate but even if it had been full price it would still have been excellent value , I know I run a B&B

Room Tip: Ask for a larger sea view
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank AngelsCalling
GMPalaceHotel, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
It is very encouraging to Staff and Management alike to receive complimentary feedback such as yours, and I thank you for taking the time to post your review. I appreciate your comments regarding the size of the bedrooms. Being an older building bedrooms do vary in terms of shape and size, so every effort is made to ensure that they are furnshed and equipped to a consistent standard. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel before too long.
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

There is nothing nicer than being welcomed by the phrase "take a seat and we will bring over your complementary tea & biscuits"

I use this hotel quite often and always enjoy friendly and efficient service. The food is great and the spa has very reasonably priced treatments - make sure you book before you arrive to make sure you get in.

The rooms are very hit and miss in terms of size - it is worth paying a little extra for the executive rooms.

Room Tip: not near the lifts as they are old and noisy!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissyEvans
Lymington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel and was delighted with the excellent service and lovely room. On arrival I had a genuine offer to help with my luggage and was offered complimentary tea once I had unpacked. I was brought tea and biscuits in the garden!
Later I had room service and although it was a limited menu the sandwiches were first class and service very quick.
Breakfast was delicious, tasty and non greasy cooked breakfast with lots of choice.
The room was spacious and well furbished. My only negative was the shower was a bit feeble.....but the bathroom was well presented and spotless.
Altogether the best place I have stayed in ages. I am hoping for a return trip next month!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank SueatSway
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

We have stayed at The Palace before (our first visit was some 27 years ago!) and the latest one fared very favourably with previous visits. We were in room 43 (at the back of the hotel but we had been warned about this at time of booking) which, whilst not having any sea view was at least of a good size. For the price we were paying we were very satisfied and the staff were helpful, ably led by the manager whom, on the face of it, seemed to be at the head of a happy crew. Paignton coould never be described as a bijou type of place but the location of the hotel is one of the things in its favour, right next to the front.
Food good and plentiful, if anything dinner a little bit rushed on occasions because as soon as one course is finished, the next one appears! However, restaurant staff - especially the Restaurant Manager(ess) - were excellent. Apart from the above small comment, all was well and I'm sure we'll be back again!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nigeljameson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

We took group for a week and not one of the party had anything negative to say. The staffwent out of their way to help and were all polite without exception. Food was excellent with variety, quality and well presented. The arrangements went smoothly from initial enquiry to our departure. It was so good my husband and i have booked to go for his birthday weekend AND we are taking the group next year! Thanks to all the staff. ,

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Chesterrd
GMPalaceHotel, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 27 May 2011
Thank you very much for your kind comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay wth us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Paignton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

clean enough. food in the res poor but in the bar ok. staff not very caring . no smiles. tolilets clean, if you ave a problem do not expect them to give a monkeys

Room Tip: did not book a room
  • Stayed November 2010
2 Thank basil97
GMPalaceHotel, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
I am sorry to note that you had a negative experience at the hotel, but I am surprised that it has taken over 6 months from your visit for you to decide to post your review. Had we been made aware of any problem at the time, clearly we would have worked to have resolved this promptly. It should be readily apparent from reading other reviews that we take our guests' comfort and well-being extremely seriously, and all staff take pride in providing high levels of customer service. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the other guests who have taken the trouble to write reviews. It is very encouraging to receive such positive feedback from the vast majority of guests, and your comments are greatly appreciated.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 18 in Paignton
The Headland Hotel
The Headland Hotel
#12 of 89 in Torquay

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!