The Palace
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
Berry Hotel(Paignton)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsexecutive roomhealth suitesea viewcourse evening mealsilver servicelovely hotelsea frontpublic roomson arrivalcoach partiescheese and biscuitsquality hotelsister hotelswimming poolsunday lunchsauna and steam roomhigh standard
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Booked three rooms for my family over the summer - my wife and I (and one of my twin babies) in one, the mother in law (and the other twin baby in the other) and my sister in another. We were here to visit my Grandparents, who have lived in Paignton for years, for a short break. Our initial room was pretty rubbish, if truth be told - small, next to noisy lift, old bathroom - and after one night we moved into the one remaining room available, which was classed as an Exectuive Room with a nice view over Paignton Green. Had to fork out more but that was OK (I actually wanted to book all three rooms as Executives but none were available at the time of booking). Anyway, our new room was much improved and even had a little balcony (covered in seagull droppings). If you can, book this one (not much one can do about seagulls, after all), but it's larger and far more comfortable than the others I saw.

Breakfast was excellent - living abroad I do miss the full English! - and afternoon tea was very good too. Staff was a bit mixed but overall, no real complaints.

I would consider staying here again, but would probably opt to stay in Torquay or Brixham. Paignton seems a shadow of its former self. Shame. Have fond childhood memories of the place.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank golfer78
GMPalaceHotel, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry that you were dissatisfed with your first room, which was a Standard Double. Being an older building the bedrooms do vary in terms of shape and size, though all are equipped, furnished and fitted out to at least a three star standard.
I am pleased that you had such a positive experience at breakfast. With regard to service standards, I would have expected more consistency than that experienced by you, and for this I apologize. Having said that, since your visit in June we have worked hard in this area, and this has resulted in a very positive assessment from Visit England last month.
Thank you again for apprising me of your views.

Reviewed 2 October 2011

A recent visit booked originally for three nights stopped one night but decide late the second day to leave but had to payfor two nights to get out, and you need to get out, this hotel is all frontage in the way of advertising but does not live upto it's supposed pictures.
The food standard is poor,we asked for pork meal got none we ended up having fish, tasteless , I don't know what type of fish,neither will you be a able to tell, asked for sweet menu run out of what we wanted had a sponge type pudding with no taste with hot green custard, your guess what it was, it was supposed to be coffee and walnut, I could not taste either flavour, absolute rubbish meal part of table d'hote for 154 pounds a night we had best room in hotel, large tv very hard beds so if you want poor food and no sleep stop here,and by the way the hotel entertainment who thinks he is a singer should go and get a job because he was and never w. ill be a singer, it promises a lot this hotel but reality is it's not worth 70 pounds a night the staff try hard enough,well some of them do,some of them you can see don't like working there it seems,it's overall standard of performance of staff despite being pleasant and smiling is poor,lack of training shows, lack of management shows,in the end it cost about 400 pounds for the one night .I put it all down to a real bad stay and will learn from this hotel standard to be able to spot other standards in other hotels this is my worst ever experience and my measurement in future of what I do not want in a hotel ever again

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank danny1946
GMPalaceHotel, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Thank you for your review of the Palace Hotel.

I noted with interest, not to say immense disappointment, your comments in relation to your recent stay. From other reviews on this site it should be readily apparent that your experience bears no relation whatever to what we strive to achieve as an hotel. The room occupied is one of several Executive rooms, which all command the same tariff. The mattresses in all our bedrooms are of a high quality and are selected carefully to offer "medium" support, as opposed to "firm" or "soft". As far as the quality of our food is concerned, naturally I am concerned that you did not enjoy dinner but I have to take issue with your disparaging comments, not least because at no time did you make any attempt to make your dissatisfaction known to me or any other member of staff. Care is taken with the compilation of the menus, and also with the preparation of each dish. Our fish comes direct from Brixham, and is of a high quality as would be expected. I have to say that your reference to "green custard" is gratuitous and inaccurate.

With regard to our Staff, we receive regular plaudits relating to the high standard of service and hospitality offered. If your experience did not come up to the standard we would expect, then I apologize. As a matter of interest, we have recently been given a "Silver Award" by Visit England in recognition of the high standards of service, food and accommodation that we provide, and this involves a great deal of effort and commitment from all members of Staff.

You state that the cost for one night was "about £400". You were orignally booked in for three nights, but decided to leave late on the afternoon of the second day for your own reasons which had nothing to do with the hotel. As a result you were charged for the second night, so the total amount charged was for two nights not one.

Clearly I am extremely concerned when any guest leaves the hotel with a less than favourable impression of the hotel, and we take seriously all feedback. I do believe, however, that in this instance you have adopted an unnecessarily agressive and intemperate approach which undermines your case. Had you made your grievances known to me at the time of your stay (as I was on duty each day), I would have made every effort to resolve the matter to your satisfaction. As it is I can only express my sincere regret that you have such a negative opinion of the Palace, but assure you that this is very much the exception, not the rule.

Reviewed 22 September 2011

I brought my Wife to the hotel for a three night DBB break last weekend (16th September 2011) for a weekend spoil for her 40th birthday. The service as soon as we arrived into Reception was first class. The Receptionist made us feel very welcome and she explained fully where everything was that we needed to know (Bar, Restaurant etc). Our room was lovely and well equipped for our stay. The service in the restaurant was second to none and our waiter for the weekend who os Ryan was very well mannered and fantastic with the guests that he came into contact with. The food was top quality and there was a good choice as well.( I even tried cauliflower cheese for the first time at the hotel). Moving to the Genesis Health Suite, the staff were very friendly and helpful. All in all, we really enjoyed our weekend and will definitely be booking to stay at the hotel again. Many thanks to all the staff and keep up the good work.
Greg & Rachael Johnson. Newport, Gwent

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank GregCJ
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Palace Hotel in April 2011 to celebrate our 40th Anniversary. The hotel is wonderful, we stayed in the Premier room with sea view balcony. The English breakfast was wonderful....hot and tasty, with plenty of selection. We received a complimentary bottle of Champers from the Manager which was much appreciated....
Would definately stay again.
Pay the Inn on the Green a visit, you'll have a good welcome, but be warned the Manager is a Manchester City fan......never mind.
The steam train Dartmouth and river trip is a must.

Room Tip: Front (premium?) 1st floor Sea View room with balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phillyn17
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Stayed with daughter and son-in-law for week. Joined at weekend by two grandchildren and husbands.All of us had comfortable rooms, well furnished and well attended. Room service excellent. The Paris restaurant was comfortable and tables well serve with excellent food. Staff were polite , cheerful and seemed a pleasure to serve us.Obviously staff all have good relations with each other and enjoyed their work. Food was varied and plentiful.Hotel surrounds on level suiting the elderly.Nightly entertainment in comfortable lounge.Suited all of us (85year olds to 21 year olds.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms worth having, lovely view across Torbay.Sun all day,
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family