The Palace
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Wulfruna Hotel(Paignton)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsexecutive roomhealth suitesea viewcourse evening mealsilver servicelovely hotelsea frontpublic roomson arrivalcoach partiescheese and biscuitsquality hotelsister hotelswimming poolsunday lunchsauna and steam roomhigh standard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Stayed for a weekend with 6 family members to visit and celebrate the 80th birthday of our mum who lives in Paignton. Booked standard rooms with bed and breakfast and despite not arriving until after midnight on Friday was made to feel warmly welcomed by everyone from the night porter to the waiting staff. At short notice the restaurant team were able to accomodate 11 of us for dinner and gave us time to enjoy our meals at our own pace.
Rooms were clean and adequate, and the bathrooms spacious. They were a little hot and we therefore appreciated the fans that were supplied. I would like to try the executive/sea view rooms on another occasion.
The pool was a welcome additon and my daughters spent 2 hours floating in a near empty peace.
Sunday morning spent relaxing in the soft outdoor chairs in the rare sunlight was very rejuvinating.
We have visited Paignton many times over the last 20 years staying in a variety of hotels and flats. However, I think we may have found our new base.
Thank you for a great break.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jck032
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stayed 3 nights in June on way home from Cornwall. Echoing earlier comments on arrival a warm welcome with afternoon tea a very nice touch. The restaurant staff and food are excellent with a hearty breakfast and a six course choice of evening meal - Fantastic. All the staff were smiling and very friendly and very helpful at all times, nothing was to much trouble. The hotel located overlooking the esplanade, pier and sea has magnificent large gardens with sunbeds and parasol covered seating areas. We had a sea view which is well worth the little extra( even if only to see the rain falling outside). A small downside is as previously reported some of the upstairs including rooms need a little sprucing up and if they could stop the floor boards creaking in room 15 it would be great. Overall an excellent hotel with excellent caring staff, great food and suitable evening entertainment. Hope to stay again in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DRC70
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I returned home on Friday after spending fourteen days of contentment and sheer luxury at the Palace. On arrival the welcome I received brought a lump to my throat and within 5 minutes was served with a pot of tea together with biscuits by Anna, whose smile would light up any room. What a lovely lady she is. But having said that, I could not fault anyone on the staff. They were all so friendly and efficient. (A special thank you to Ryan who saw that I wanted for nothing in the restaurant).

I have, together with quite a number of fellow guests, already booked my holidays for 2013 at this first class hotel and we are all looking forward to meeting one another again next year.

Room Tip: As a single traveller I usually request either room 60 or 20, both good size singles with full size bathrooms and both with a sea view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Doreen709
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Lovely friendly staff, great location, with very good food. We had a 7 night stay in an Executive Room which was quite large and nicely decorated, with a view over the gardens (Room 58). The bathroom was large, nicely decorated but poorly designed. You have to climb into the bath and onto a ledge to open the window. The bath is very shallow, the shower is very small and unusable due to lack of water pressure. Also requires shelving to put your toiletries on.

The restaurant staff were very friendly and efficient, a good choice of food which was also piping hot and served on hot plates. Good old fashioned breakfast which was served to your table instead of queuing up which is the norm for a lot of hotels nowadays. The only downside in the restaurant is when a coach tour is booked into the hotel, they seem to take priority over independent travellers.

Despite these minor niggles - we will be back!!

Room Tip: Early booking is essential as the Executive Rooms are well worth the extra.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2012

it's almost 1 week since i stayed at the palace hotel.
i got there nice and early, but as stated in my letter, they were happy to store my stuff.
once in my room, i was amazed at just how great it was. nice and big to. the fridge in the cupboard was also a nice touch.
only 3 tiny niggles, but none of them really matter....the room, needs a touch of paint, the floor boards from other rooms creek, which was annoying more for my partner, who is a light sleeper. the other niggle was the sausges...they tasted like rubber haha. i think drinks offers would of been a good touch. all in all tho, it was brilliant. polite staff to. i loved my view of the beach to.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple