“Cracking crab sandwiches!”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This is my third review for food at the Palace, a place we treat as our 'local', a place to pop into after our shopping or when we just don't feel like cooking ...
So yesterday we popped in for crab sandwiches and half pints. What can I say that I've not said before? A welcoming atmosphere? Tick. Spotlessly clean tables? Tick. Prompt service? Tick? Somewhere to park the car without a fee? Tick. And lovely fresh crab sandwiches which come with salad and crisps. Aha, there is one minuscule, titchy little fault ... the oil and vinegar dispensers might look elegant, but they leak and so, if you're not careful (and even if you are!) you get more oil or vinegar on your salad or chips than you bargained for. This is just a very minor point but one which needs addressing.
A plus side is that the restaurant now has a dedicated fish menu - sensible for a hotel by the sea - and we have enjoyed some of the dishes and the specials menu changes daily. This is a friendly, clean, smart, comfortable place in which to eat, no wonder we return time and again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MargaretTotnes
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your very comprehensive and positive review of your lunch time experiences at the Palace, it is always a pleasure to read that local people enjoy our lunch time offerings as we really do strive to keep on top of what our customers want, hence the introduction of our fish menu and can I say I am really pleased that you think it is a hit. I have taken on board your comments regarding the cruet sets and as discussed with you we will be reviewing the style that we use. Finaly may I add that I look forward to seeing you in the Palace soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

What a gem!! We have always been cautious of Seaside Hotels in the past, trimmed to the bone and grotty rooms etc.
The Palace is just what the name says. The rooms are lovely, the public rooms spacious, and the Restaurant a joy to behold.
Lets not forget the polite and very helpful staff, nothing is too much trouble for them. Our Father has trouble sleeping without extra pillows, the request was dealt with, with a smile and a cheerful conversation.
You get what you pay for in this world, yes it’s a bit pricier but worth every penny. We WILL be back!!

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are worth it
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank nolegs
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your very complimentary report of your recent stay at the Palace and may I say I was extremely pleased to read that we had exceeded your expectations in all areas. It always gives me great pleasure to read that we have been able to restore peoples faith in Seaside Hotels and hopefully we will be welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Just returned from yet another great stay at the Palace in Paignton - think this is the 6th or 7th time. Nothing seems to be too much trouble. Rooms were excellent, clean and extremely reasonable compared to other hotels i have stayed in. Should be rated more than a 3 star! Couldn't complain about anything (Which isn't like me at all!) Staff all very friendly, and the food couldn't be faulted. No wonder you have to book well in advance. All rooms I have stayed in have been quiet except the last minute room overlooking the side by the kitchens. Couldn't be helped - would sooner have an early start than not go at all! Can't wait to return...

Room Tip: Sea view are great, but can get hot on a sunny morning (simply use the fan supplied) Be thankful yo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Hortyboy

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your extremely positive review of your recent stay at the Palace. It gave me great pleasure to read how you had enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I will certainly pass on your comments to the team as they really do enjoy hearing that people have enjoyed their stay and intend to visit again. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

We first went to the Palace about 18 months ago, but have been unable to go back until last week. We went down to Plymouth for a wedding and stayed at another hotel - what a disappointment!! I really wished we could have stayed at the Palace. I was so upset that before our booking at this hotel was finished my husband went to the Palace to see if we could go on there afterwards to make it up to me. He said that when he walked up to reception he was recognised and greeted like we had visited just last month! As a result we stayed there for 3 more night and were treated like royalty. When you first arrive and book in you are served complimentary tea or coffee and biscuits.The food is really upper class - and 6 courses available if you can manage them !! The health club and pool are excellent. I don't understand why this hotel is only 3 star, but price wise it is really great value for money, and right on the sea front. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank pauline d
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your very positive review of your stay with us at the Palace, I was delighted to read that we were able to rescue part of your visit to the West Country and that your experience started with your husbands welcome at the reception desk and continued with the standard of food and our facilities. I will pass on your comments to the team as they really do like to hear that their efforts are appreciated. Finaly thanks again and do not leave it so long before we are able to welcome you back to the Palace.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

This hotel deserves a 4 star classification. We stayed at the palace hotel for a week staying in a lovely executive room overlooking the sea. All the staff including cleaners were very friendly and accommodating. One small niggle though. The shower and bath was complicated to operate. My husband was a caretaker and he had never seen a shower system like this.

The food was excellent although I got a bit bored with having watercress with my main meal nearly every night. AlthoughSue the restaurant manager was very efficient and made us feel special I did feel dinner service was a little slow at times.
Great hotel though. I will definitely be returning soon.

Mary steers

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Marysteers
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Many thanks for the very positive review you have posted for us and I must say that I was extremely pleased to read your comments regarding the team at the Palace, I will certainly pass on your comments especialy to Sue our Restaurant Manager. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed our food and I will let the kitchen know as they do work extremely hard to produce our menu's, I will also pass on your comments regarding watercress. Finaly may I add that we look forward to seeing you at the Palace again soon

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have been a long standing member of Genesis, The Palace Hotel's Health Club.

The facilities at Genesis are excellent and include a pool, spa, sauna, steam room, and gym, all of which are well maintained by the dedicated and friendly team.

I would like to thank all the Genesis team for providing an excellent service.

A special thanks goes to both Stuart and Nathan for their friendly, and supportive manner.

The Genesis Health Club is a lovely welcoming environment to unwind, relax, meet friends, socialise, and get/keep fit.

Although I have never stayed at the hotel, I can say that I have heard nothing but praise and positive feedback for the hotel itself by the many guests I have met at Genesis. Many guests have had numerous stays at the hotel. The common themes that have impressed the guests include the excellent food, service, accommodation, and location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
11  Thank preston024
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your very positive review of Genesis our in house Health club, I was very pleased to read your comments regarding our team especialy Stuart and Nathen and I will certainly pass on your comments to them, also thank you for your comments regarding our food and other offerings and I am sure you are aware that non residents are welcome to enjoy our lunch time menu and also our evening menu's. Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope you continue to enjoy our facilities in the future.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

We have just stayed for 5 days at the Palace Hotel, we were so impressed. I would recommend it to anyone. All the staff, from managers to cleaners were lovely and friendly. The food was exceptional and the hotel and gardens were immaculate. We will definitely be going back to stay soon. Mick & Margaret who travelled with K & M Travel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Lynn J
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete your extremely positive review of your stay with us at the Palace. I was so pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations in all areas and I will be certainly passing on your comments to the team as they do like to hear that people have enjoyed the service that we all strive to give. Finally may I add that we look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Queens Hotel
#6 of 17 in Paignton
Summerhill Hotel
Summerhill Hotel
#1 of 17 in Paignton

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!