“One night stay”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“One night stay”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Booked a one night stay at short notice. We were in a Standard double, not sea facing but not an unpleasant view. The evening meal was delicious and consisted of 6 courses including coffee. The service was faultless and personal. The leisure facilities were great and we made the most of the swimming pool. Substantial breakfast with plenty of choice.
My parent's were already staying at the hotel with our son. We decided to surprise them by booking a room for one night for my husband and I. We explained this to reception and asked them to keep it a secret, which they did. Would be more than happy to stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank AmandaL1970
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for taking thre time to post your very positive review of your recent one night stay at the Palace, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I will certainly pass on your comments to the rest of the teamas they do like to feel that all of their efforts are appreciated. Finaly may I add that we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Lovely setting, friendly and very helpful staff, excellent breakfast and evening meal with good choices, excellent facilities for guests with limited mobility - stair lift aviable to restaurant even though there are only a few steps. Lifts to all floors.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Jul_25x
Thank you for your very concise but flattering review of your stay at the Palace, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your 5th stay with us and I look forward to seeing you for your 6th stay.
Reading
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Palace for nine nights in August. As it was a last minute booking we had to change rooms during our stay, resulting in experiencing three different rooms. We first stayed in Room 12 which was very nice, then we changed to Room 15 (a club room with seaview) which I would describe as outstanding - however, the next room (Room 83) left a lot to be desired. The accommodation was quite acceptable but never agree to stay in this room if you like to have an afternoon nap or a peaceful few hours. We never quite found out where the droning noise came from but it sounded like a machine of some kind and, what was really intrusive, every half hour or so there was a massive crash/bang which actually caused the bed and wall to shake! I really feel that a room with this kind of problem should be let at a lower rate. We would never accept to stay in Room 83 again. Changing rooms was made very easy as we only had to pack our toiletries and all our hanging clothes and cases were removed to our new room by staff.
There was plenty of room for parking but it was rather annoying that the exit code changed every couple of days and we had to ask for the new one. On one occasion where the exit code had clearly expired we were unable to contact the hotel because a Vodaphone message said their credit had run out!
Having got the complaints out of the way I have to say that this is the only hotel we have stayed in in this country that we would consider returning to for a holiday. We like to take our main meal midday so we ate in the bar (our choice - you can be served in which room you like). We had seven meals all of which were superbly cooked and presented. The chef certainly knows how to cook fish.
One afternoon we ordered an afternoon tea which was presented to us on a three tiered cake stand - smoked salmon and cucumber sandwiches shaped into rolls, a huge scone with lashings of cream and jam and fruit cake, plus pot of tea for two. It was absolutely delicious and a lovely treat for under £20 for the two of us. Breakfast could not be faulted - plenty of choice.
We particularly enjoyed the garden furniture - lots of comfortable places to sit or lie out in the sun.
Overall then, an enjoyable stay and we hope to return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Turnip59UK
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your very comprehensive review of your stay with us at the Palace, firstly may I say I was extremely pleased to read that the team had managed your room moves smoothly so as to cause as little disruption to your stay as possible. As you so rightly say we do have a large car park however if we did not change the barrier code on a regular basis our car park would soon fill with non residents and hence cause a problem for our guests so sadly we have little option on this matter. Thank you indeed for your comments on our food and I will certainly pass this on to our chef finaly may I say I look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the not too distant future.
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Did not stay here as a guest, but was a guest at The Queens, the sister hotel. The men went off for the day and I chose to have a full massage with Clare at the Spa. Prior to this I had a wonderful lunch of Sea Bream. Would highly recommend the spa and it's facilities.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Ann C
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your lunch and your treatment in our beauty suite, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the Sea Bream and that your massage with Claire was a success. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future.
south wales
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The Positive Points. We had a lovely two nights stay here, the food was excellent from the breakfast to the 6 course evening meal. The staff were very helpful, there was ample car park spaces, we had to change rooms on Saturday but we already knew that when we booked , but the room change turned out to be for the better as we were in room 65 at first then we ended up in no 69 just a couple of doors up and room 69 was bigger and the bathroom was a lot bigger so we were glad we had to move rooms. We went out for the day and we were told to enjoy our day and take our time as the hotel staff would move our luggage for us. We had to check out by10am but we were told that we could leave the car in the car park if we wanted to go for a walk up town.
Bad Points. The hotel has a lovely view provided you have good eyesight, if you have very poor eyesight you wont be able to see the sea as it looks much closer in the photos.
We will definitely return to this hotel. Thank you Palace hotel staff for a lovely weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ambulanceman
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete your very positive review of your recent stay at the Palace and may I say how pleased I was to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, I will certainly pass on your comments to the team regarding the food and the service as they all really strive to ensure that all aspects of your time with us are enjoyable, I was also pleased to read that even though you had a room move it was made easy for you by the team. Finaly all I can add is I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This hotel is in a brilliant sea front situation. Lovely clean rooms. Food first class in a nice dining room.
Staff very friendly and helpful. Evening entertainment good.
This is my fifth visit and will be back soon.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank 8lucy39
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Thank you fo posting your very concise and positive review of your recent stay at the Palace, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your fifth visit with us and we look forward to seeing you on your sixth visit.
Derbyshire
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We have just returned from a week's stay at the Palace and found it to be a truly wonderful experience. On arrival, the helpful receptionist enquired if we would like a complimentary drink, which we thought was a nice touch. Our family-room was very spacious, having a double-bed and a single with two armchairs, as well as a large flat-screen T.V. The ornate plaster-work on the ceiling and the deep coving gave the room an opulent feel. The meals were really tasty, comprising of six courses - the final course, tea or coffee being served in the lounge if required. All of the waiting staff were really attentive and polite - nothing seemed too much trouble! The Hotel has its own health club - the Genisis. There is an air-conditioned gym, a pool and sauna and steam room. The club is open to guests of the hotel and gym-members, it was useful during our stay as we felt we needed to sweat off some of those six courses. One slight niggle is the strength of the wi-fi signal, which was always low, wherever we were in the hotel, although this seems trivial taking the rest of our stay into account. All-in-all this is a superb hotel, staffed with lovely, helpful people.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank DerbyshireToto
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your very comprehensive and complimentary review of your recent stay at the Palace, it is always a pleasure to read such a comprehensive review as it shows that you have enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. I will certainly pass on your comments to our restaurant and kitchen team as they really do strive to ensure our guests are served to the best of their ability and are pleased when they read such comments as yours. Finaly that just leaves me to say we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 17 in Paignton
The Headland Hotel
The Headland Hotel
#11 of 88 in Torquay

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!