The Palace
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Wulfruna Hotel(Paignton)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsexecutive roomhealth suitesea viewcourse evening mealsilver servicelovely hotelsea frontpublic roomson arrivalcoach partiescheese and biscuitsquality hotelsister hotelswimming poolsunday lunchsauna and steam roomhigh standard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Really enjoyed are stay, reasonable rooms, great restaurant would recommend lumpy bumpy cake, good parking area, swimming pool was good but the only down side was you have to walk outside to get to pool entrance

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank BrightonLion
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your very positve review of your recent stay at the Palace and may I say how pleased I was to read that you thought our restaurant was great and that you reccomend our lumpy bumpy cake. It was good to read that you made good use of our ample car parking and that you enjoyed our swimming pool with the only downside being you have to walk outside to get to the enterance. Finaly may I say that we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Brilliant hotel with excellent and helpful staff. Stay was only spoilt by repeated slow delivery of food with dinner taking 2 hours and breakfast an hour even with complaining. Main delay seemed to the ability to cook the quantity of food needed to feed a full hotel in a timely manor. Several others families also had the same complaint along with raw boiled eggs and cremated sausages, so trouble with the basics .
Father Xmas in October was a bit odd but his gifts were appreciated.

Room Tip: Paying that bit extra for room with sea view well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Good morning, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am glad you found the Hotel to be brilliant and the staff to be both helpful and excellent.
I am disapointed to hear that you found the service to be slower than you expected but two hours is a slight exageration. We serve high quality food not fast food in our Paris restaurant and the slight delay ia a result of our chefs freshly preparing all dishes. I do hope the quality of our food on both our table d'hote and a la carte menus made up for the slight delay.
The service itself does take a while as it is a full six course evening meal and professionally served at the table. Our dining experience is often commended for its delivery and for the fact it is not rushed in front of our guests whoexpect that little extra elegance.
I do apologise that you found our breakfast to be below par on one day,but I can assure you this is very uncharacteristic of our kitchen. Our Assistant Manager did come to your table the following day and ensured everything was satisfactory which you confirmed it was.
I am glad you enjoyed your early visit from Father Christmas and the gifts he was bearing. It is an extra we like to add to ensure our guests have the most enjoyable experience possible.
I do hope to welcome you back to the Palace Hotel before too long, and wishyou all the best for the festive period.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

we stayed here for my birthday weekend Nov '13, we last stayed here in the late 80's when it belonged to Forte hotels so it has been a while...they have worked wonders on this hotel, we had a very large family room with a fab en suite bathroom, a massive flat screen tv , lovely comfy arm chairs to look at the fantastic sea view,nice soft towles and beautiful decor.
The breakfast was superb, free choice of juice, breakfast fruits ,cereals, and continental breakfast and then a good choice of a full English breakfast with plenty of tea and coffee and toast and jam/marmalade in beautiful surroundings of the dining room.You could sit in the sun lounge and read the paper or just watch the world go by!cant wait to go back again.

Room Tip: pay extra for a room with a sea view , its well worth it
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank REBECCA D

Good morning, thank you for taking the time to leave your wonderful review of our hotel. I am delighted that we were able to make your birthday weekend special.
It is lovely to hear that you think we have done wonders with the hotel since we have taken over from Forte hotels. We are always striving to improve the hotel on a daily basis and I am most pleased that you feel our standard has improved so much.
It is also wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience so much, and in particular our breakfast service. All our food is homemade and locally sourced where possible and I believe that this adds to the quality we are able to provide.
I am most pleased that you can't wait to come back again and hope that it won't be so long before your next visit.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Have just had a four night break at this hotel and I was very impressed. Stayed with my husband and two children (15 and 12). My mum came with us but had to cut the break short and we were very impressed with how the reception staff were able to organise a partial refund at such short notice. All I can say is that it was a very pleasant stay. The staff were exceptionally nice, especially Sue, the restaurant manager and Dan who served us our meals for most of our stay. He was so nice and nothing was too much trouble for him. We were booked in for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast. The dinner was exceptional value, six courses, making it a very enjoyable experience. The communal areas can't be faulted in terms of décor and ambience. As part of a deal we went for a standard room, we don't normally do this, as we do like the most updated rooms when we stay in a hotel. Although the room was clean and functional, it was certainly in need of an update, but saying that we could not complain, as the deal was such good value. We will be coming back but will definitely book a better room with a sea view next time, which will make the break perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank sallyRomford
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post your very positive review of your recent stay at the Palace and may I say how pleased I was to read that our reception team dealt with your changes quickly and efficiently and that you also found Sue and Dan from the restaurant to be so obliging, I will of course pass on your comments to all of them. I was also pleased that you felt our meals were of exceptional value and that you felt that our communal areas could not be faulted, finaly once again thanks and we look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I consider myself very lucky to have discovered The Palace several years ago and am now spending every one of my holidays at this fantastic hotel. Suffice to say I look no further for any holiday I shall take in the future.

Every single member of staff go out of their way to look after their guests and the meals are delicious (I shall NEVER lose any weight while I am there)

Everything good that can be said has already been put far better than I could ever do it, so, to put things shortly and sweetly The Palace is like Mary Poppins - " Perfect in Every Way".

Thank you, John and every member of staff for another brilliant holiday. See you all again in March, by which time I shall need my old batteries re-charging once more. Already looking forward to it. God bless.

Room Tip: For single travellers, rooms 20 and 60 are large singles with sea views. If you like a walk-in shower, then No. 34 is good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Doreen709

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your very positive review of your latest visit to the Palace and I must say that I was extremely pleased to read that you felt that all of our staff went out of their way to make your time with us enjoyable, thank you also for your comments on our food as I know you are aware of how much hard work and effort goes into preparing our meals. Perfect in every way is a very difficult accolade to live up to but as you know we certainly try to reach that pinnacle. Finaly all I can add is that we all look forward to seeing you again in March.