“Scandalous Management and Thieving Staff”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Having originated from Torbay I thought it would be fun to return, whilst attending my nieces wedding, and stay at the Palace which when I was young always had a familiar and grand aura about the hotel. How further from the truth could this have been! The nightmare began on the 2nd day when a pair of expensive headphones went missing from the side table during our room clean. Both my wife and myself distinctly remember where they were when we left the room. Of course we can't prove anything but we know the truth!

On the night before our departure we informed management that we had to leave at 5am to drive to Gatwick where we were flying to Italy to meet friends and play golf. My golf clubs were in the security room and I was reassured that there would be no problem in retrieving them on check out! At 4:30 in the morning we met the ONLY staff in reception who knew nothing of our clubs and worse still had no keys to unlock the secure door. We felt very sorry for him as it was not his fault. He was physically impaired and was clearly experiencing palpitations as he tried his best to help us. For a 4 star hotel it begs the question as to why he was the only member of staff left in charge of a large hotel overnight?? We had to leave my clubs behind but got reassurances later from management that these clubs would be sent to our hotel in Paris 10 days later before we left for home in Thailand. Obviously for those 10 days I had to pay the expense of renting clubs, shoes etc. When arriving in Paris i was shocked to find that not only were my clubs not there but the Palace management had decided to pay the cheapest service with no guaranteed delivery, again without any real concern or goodwill to return my property!

Over the following weeks I sent numerous emails asking where and when my clubs would be returned. I initiated every email and not once did they proactively contact me to provide updates. Excuse after excuse ensued and in the middle of November I realised I could not trust their ability or willingness to help and asked my sister who lived close by to pick up the clubs and keep them until her next visit. As a result I asked for recompense as not only had I rented clubs all over Italy but also had to buy a new set in Thailand. I then also had to pay for the delivery charges of excess baggage for flying them to Thailand. The GM and owners of the Palace responded coldly with an offer of only providing the delivery charges. Given everything that had happened and their complete incompetence and carelessness I thought it only right to ask for more! As i was so disappointed I also mentioned the power of social media and of course Trip Advisor which thankfully is a forum to expose crooks and shabby establishments for who and what they really are!

They immediately responded that because of my veiled threat to expose them they would now revoke any offer of recompense! They really are a disgrace and should be ashamed of how they have behaved! They have continually accepted blame but have neither the intention or professionalism to make the situation right and recompense for the inconvenience and cost they caused.

To top it all I received my clubs last week from my sister to find that one of my clubs is missing! Again we can't prove anything but its clear what has happened.

If you are thinking of spending the considerable amount of money to stay at this hotel please think again. Some of the staff are thieves and the management care little about service or your well being. Be warned!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
21  Thank Auudd
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear readers,

We were at fault but there are some mitigating circumstances.
When he told reception he was leaving at 5am, he did not mention that his golf clubs were in storage with us. When he came to depart early, we did not have his golf clubs ready for him as they were locked in a secure cupboard. It is usually jewelry that people ask to put in our safes, not big items.
We sent them straight to his next destination the day after by Parcel Force Global Priority at a cost of £98.34. They promised us that they would be there well before his departure date in Paris.
It was two to three weeks before we actually got them back, with us ringing Parcel Force every other day.
We were then going to send them on to Thailand, where he lives. The carrier requested his address which we gave but they said this was too long so it needed shortening or an alternative address provided which he refused to give. He also refused to give his telephone number which the carrier needed.
All this was taking time until in the end his relatives came to collect them.
The staff at the hotel, particularly the room attendants, have worked no less than five years at the company and up to twelve years. We have never had another incident in that time, of anybody stealing anything that belonged to a guest. The night porter is overweight but not disabled as he intimated.
Also I would like to point out that we are not a four star hotel, we are a top three star hotel. We absolutely tried our best, but in hindsight, we could have done better.
But we do feel bad about what has happened and we have put better measures in place to prevent this happening in future.

Lee Cullen
Senior General Manager
Duchy Hotels

Reviewed 1 January 2014

The service was good, friendly, and attentive.

The restaurant was busy so I had to wait for my meal.

The food was good.

I was given two olives and some nuts as an appetizer, which I have to say appeared a strange combination, but given the wait it was welcome.

I had a good and pleasant experience overall, which I may consider repeating but there is only one constructive criticism and concern that I would provide to what is otherwise an excellent hotel, and here it goes, Intended In Good Faith:- the portions were much smaller than I would have liked or needed. For example, one would expect a good generous portion of rustic chips for £2.85, but the bowl is so small with so few chips. In fact everything was small. Sorry, but the portions could be more generous for the price and to cater for those of us with more hearty appetites.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
15  Thank preston024
General M, Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking time to post your review regarding your recent lunch at the Palace. I am delighted you found the service attentive and enjoyed your meal despite a small wait; our food is freshly cooked to order and we are very popular with our local customers.

I am sad to hear you refer to our nuts and olives as "a starnge combination" but the same time I am glad they were most welcomed; our diners appreciate a small nibble whilst waiting for their meals.

In relation to your lunch I can only apologise if you felt the portions were smaller than expected. I can assure you it is not our intention to cut back on anything and our portions, in general, receive lots of comments about how substantial they are. I will be speaking to the kitchen department and will make every effort to prevent it from happening again.

I am pleased you will consider visiting us again and I hope your dining experience will be more satisfactory. May I take this opportunity to welcome you back in not too distant future.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have just had super 4 days at the Palace hotel 23rd/27th Dec. our check in on arrival was very quick and we were in our room in next to no time, our room 25 was was very nice if a little small but it was clean with the usual facilities tea/coffe kettle/tv etc and a lovely sea view. The food at the palace was first class and the service was very good, I noticed an earlier review stating that it took 90 minutes to serve dinner we never had any off that trouble whilst we were at the hotel perhaps it was a one off ??? The only little odd thing that happened to us was every table except ours had a red carnation on we both said have we upset someone ??? By and large we would reccomend the Palace to anyone as it is in a very good location in Paignton. If you go it is worth the extra having a sea view room.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view
6  Thank StokeontrentJonno

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your superb comments regarding your stay over Christmas. I am pleased to hear your check in was efficient and you could settle in your room in no time.

I am delighted you enjoyed room 25 and found the standards of cleanliness to be of a high stature. The room is classed as a Club Room with lovely sea view. However, may I recommend our executive accommodation for your next visit which are our superior and most spacious rooms.

I am thrilled you rated our food and service so highly. We are constantly striving to deliver a great experience in the restaurant by using the best quality ingredients and continuous staff training. I will certainly pass on your lovely feedback to our kitchen and restaurant departments.

I am sorry your table was lacking a red carnation and I can assure you this is not a regular occurence. All of our restaurant tables have fresh carnations weekly and I am glad that you agree that they add to the dining experience.

I am most pleased you would recommend the Palace to anyone and I hope to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Xmas decorations wonderful, room attendants helpful and caring, reception service excellent. Plush dining room but service very slow taking 90 minutes for evening meal. (I am a recently widowed single guest and I felt overlooked, all other guests got water poured into their glass each night as one would expect, I got no such service and it left me feeling vulnerable). I wouldn't recommend singles staying at Palace. Following my last evening meal, coffee is served in the lounge. I waited 75 minutes for my coffee, my grandson was visiting at the time and he was upset and he went to ask for my coffee 3 times, he wanted to report the staff who were quite curt with him. I was first into the dining room that evening the first out and the last to be served with my coffee.

The bedroom well appointed and comfortable but the bed unfortunately was covered in a waterproof mattress which made the firm mattress seem hard and uncomfortable and it was so noisy that it kept me awake all night. I understand the reasons for protecting their mattresses but they should give their guests the options in the interests of having a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for waterproof mattress protector to be removed. ask to be served with coffee before 10 pm.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank Rita W
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Unfortunately I was taken ill one day into our much looked forward to pre Christmas three day break, but I still think The Palace is a super place. Despite it being so very busy, and the staff were certainly rushed off their feet, you would never have known it given the attention and spot - on service they gave their guests. Also, I was so grateful that we were in a lovely, quiet and spacious room where I could suffer in silence. We will be back - hopefully in better circumstances. Thank you.

7  Thank muddyflats
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your very positive review of your recent break at the Palace and firstly may I say I hope you are feeling better, I was so pleased that despite your illness you were able to enjoy the service, I was also pleased to read that you were able to relax in your room and at least recuperate in comfort. Finaly all I can add is that we look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace when hopefuly you will be able to enjoy your stay when feeling well.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Have just spent five days at the Palace with a friend and as it was pre Christmas it was a quiet week so we were able to just chill out and relax although the building and interior look as though they could do with an update this was no reflection on the excellent service and lovely food we received everyone was extremely friendly and we had a lovely front room with a great view of the sea front. It is a very popular venue and many of the guests have been coming to the hotel for years. All the staff were very helpful to less able bodied residents and there is a lovely conservatory to sit and watch the world go by if anyone cannot get out much.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sonia B
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your positive review of your recent stay at the Palace and may I say how pleased I was to read that you received excellant service and that you thought our food was very good, I will certainly pass on these comments to the team as they do like to hear that their efforts are appreciated. I am pleased that you enjoyed your room and that you were able to relax in our sun lounge and watch the world go by, finaly may I add that we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Just had a two night stay here (have stayed here many years ago) the room was clean and of a good standard. It was lovely to see the same lady in charge of the restaurant ( this lady has worked here for 29 years and it certainly shows, the timing of everything was so precise), all the staff were so friendly. Christmas decorations were fabulous. My only downside was that the hotel was so hot, it felt like we were in the tropics, a little uncomfortable for me, but overall terrific.

4  Thank Di A
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your extremely positive review of your recent stay at tha Palace and firstly may I say how pleased I was to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us, I will certainly pass on your comments to Sue and the rest of the team as they really do appreciate hearing that our guests have enjoyed their stay. I was pleased to read that you thought our christmas decorations were fabulous as a lot of cost, time and effort goes into decorating the Hotels. I can only apologise that you felt the Hotel was too hot but it is something we try and monitor at all times as obviously it is very important to us to get the optimum temperature, Finaly all I can add is do not leave it so long between visits as we hope to accomodate you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Queens Hotel
#16 of 31 in Exeter
Summerhill Hotel
Summerhill Hotel
#1 of 17 in Paignton

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!