“Another Great Stay”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Hinckley, United Kingdom
“Another Great Stay”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We have just come back from a 4 day break at the Palace.We have stayed there a number of times over the last 15 years. Although it's been 3 years since our last visit the standard is still as it always was.It is exceptional value.The food is first class.Sue and her team are excellent and nothing is to trouble for them as they go out of there way to make sure you will enjoy your meal.The housekeeping is also excellent as the rooms are kept spotless.The reception staff are also very helpful with any of your needs.The lounge,bar and outside seating area is very comfortable.
I can't recommend this hotel highly enough and will be returning within the next few months.

2 Thank dennis_percival1
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Good afternoon, Thank you for your wonderful review, we are more than happy that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you would recommend us to anyone, its great to know that our standards are still the same as your last visit, and all the great things you have said about the staff i will pass it on to them.
Look forward to welcoming you back in the next few months.
Sarah Taylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Devon
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We live locally and often visit here for lunch or just a drink (I also use the health suite on occasion).
We have had the excellent Sunday lunch on a few occasions as well as 'normal' lunch.
We visited this past weekend with my mother, for her birthday, and had a lovely relaxing lunch outside watching the world go by.
The prices are reasonable here, not as cheap as some of the neighbouring pubs with their food offers but, in my opinion, you get what you pay for. I would rather pay a reasonable price than a cheap one for good food and excellent service. My husband says they make the best chips he has ever had here.
Even though it was busy in the local area, with holiday makers and the fun fair, the garden here is like a small oasis of calm.
The staff are always really friendly too.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MMackDevon
Good afternoon, Firstly i would like to thank you for choosing us for your place to eat when out in Paignton, we are so pleased you enjoy coming to us, thank you for taking time to leave a review.
we look forward to seeing you soon.
Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We are currently staying at this hotel in room 81. I cannot understand the lady from Plymouth who
gave this hotel such a poor review. I was very concerned by this report as we had already booked
but our fears were allayed. Our room is fine the Food is first class. I have had two treatments at the Temple beauty rooms and the girls were fantastic. I feel that anyone who complains must be very hard to please, This hotel goes out of it's way to cater for the disabled. My husband and I are VERY impressed and already looking at our Diary to see when we can return
Margaret S Abingdon on Thames

4 Thank margaret-oxon
Good Afternoon Margaret,
Thank you for your kind words in your review, i'm pleased you were not put off by other reviews as it is very rare for somone to be unhappy with their stay, I'm delighted you were very impressed with everything and the girls in beauty looked after you to.
Hope to see you very soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Palace for 4days. As has been said before, staff and food excellent. We had room sea facing, so with windows open and use of the fan provided we slept well. The service and courtesy of the staff was way beyond what we expected. There is plenty of outdoor seating, some of it covered,which was a bonus, as the weather was so hot. The indoor pool is very good. I visited The Palace on recommendation and I would thoroughly recommend for value and location to friends. We also had one night at the Headlands, part of a group of three Dutchy Hotels. That was also a high standard.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KathB65
Good afternoon,
Thank you for your wonderful words about our hotel, we are delighted that you had a great time with us and found the staff and food to be excellent, we look forward to seeing you again soon
Kind Regards.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have just returned from a short stay at the Palace. The staff are all excellent and very attentive. Special mention to Sue in the restaurant she was brilliant ! The food was lovely,we usually go on cruise holidays and the food at the Palace was of the same calibre. The hotel was spotless and the outside areas were well used. We watched the entertainment every evening having had a full day out,it was very professional, the only disappointment was there were only around twelve or fifteen people watching ! The only downside was the lack of air conditioning or fans,the hotel was so hot , the bedroom was unbearably hot even after a cool shower we couldn't cool down ! We will be returning , hopefully in a cooler spell of weather.

2 Thank margaret w
Good afternoon, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we are so pleased you had a great time here with us and that you found sue was very good, i will pass on your wonderful comments to her, im sorry to here it was to hot for you at times.
we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have just come back from an excellent 'Lazy Day for Locals' pamper day with three of my friends. The whole day was excellent value for money with the £20 fee including use of the swimming pool, sauna, steam room and gym, tea or coffee on arrival and £8 off the lunch bill.

The staff were very attentive, the facilities excellent and the lunch was carefully prepared and delicious. We also struck lucky with the weather as we were able to sit outside in the beautiful gardens in between dips in the pool.

I am looking forward to a return visit very soon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Claire W
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Good afternoon, i am delighted you had a great day at the palace hotel and took advantage of our lazy day we have to offer, we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and i run a small transport business, we have 3 children and i am heavily pregnant, and we managed to find the time to get one night away, we booked this hotel as it looked beautiful, the reviews were good, however please read further-

Here is an email sent to the hotel after our stay-

I am writing to you to express our disappointment at a number of things during our stay.
Firstly (room 25) a bath that was leaking to the room below! We had a telephone call after I had a bath asking if we were having a bath as it was leaking, informed by my husband 'yes my wife has just had a bath' Within minutes there was a knock on the door, 'can i have a look at the bath?' Now with the best will in the world any normal person cannot get dressed that quickly and we found it very invasive! When the crack in the bath was pointed out we were told it wouldnt be that. ( the bath drained itself from full)
Ok- so we were then advised to shower- being heavily pregnant i dont believe the shower was suitable, so instead i had to rush against time to have a bath before the water ran back out! The complete opposite to the relaxing night away i was hoping for.
On your website it states hairdryers in rooms- i think you need to state 20+ year old hair dryers in rooms! Absolutely perfect if you have very short hair, not so good for todays generation of ladies with long hair, i had to leave the hotel with soaking wet hair, not to mention the last check done on them was nearly 7 years ago! in fact my sons date of birth- 07-09-07, I appreciate PAT testing isnt mandatory, but surely customer peace of mind is?
The room was very outdated also, skirting boards with coffee on them,dust everywhere and if the room was hoovered prior to our arrival, i would imagine the vacuum was as old as the electrical equipment in the room.
I am extremely upset, and i had pre booked and paid for my mum to spend next weekend with yourselves, for her birthday, I feel appalled that i am sending her here if i am competely honest.
The reception and downstairs of the hotel are lovely, the meal was nice- although the older generation that the hotel clearly appeals to made you feel very very uncomfortable.
The complete opposite to the relaxing stay we were expecting, We could not have moved room due to the bath because there were no rooms left, very frustrated. Had we of been asked how our stay was on checkout i would have discussed the above matters with yourselves, but i was not asked, just given a code to get out of the carpark.

The bath does not seem like a big issue- but i also managed to fall down some stairs (in 'the talk of the town') and i could not have a bath to relax- anyone being pregnant will sympathise with me.

The hotel 'werent aware' of such a leak (of course)
They pointed out PAT testing isnt madatory, So customers safety isnt at the top of their list.
The bed wasnt too comfy (possibly my own preference) and the room was very very hot.

Now- reading the managers comments on other poor reviews- i await the response of 'we werent aware at the time of the stay' You were indeed aware, the manager was off duty and the assistant manager dealt with us. I had no acknowledgement email to the one i sent and had to follow up with a telephone call and should expect a response 'within a week'
Very poor customer service im afraid, and i will certainly not be returning, The hotel does indeed attract the elderly, who most of them are very rude, obnoxious and made you feel uncomfortable, my money is as hard earned and spent as well as theirs is.

P&M Residence around the corner, is a 5* B&B and i must say will beat this 'hotel' at every post, friendly, clean, polite, please have a look there before staying here.

10 Thank PB R
Lee C, Owner at The Palace, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear readers,
I don’t know what to say about this. We absolutely did our best with this customer. I will start off with saying that there are plenty of younger people that come to the hotel and enjoy it. And thank god for the retired people, as they come for more than one night.
I would like to point out that this lady had already had a bath. It was as the bath was being emptied that the leak occurred. It was a fault that just happened and it came through into the restaurant below. That is classed as an emergency. When the maintenance man corrected it, it was a pipe that had come away.
The manager spoke to this lady and also offered 20% off the stay. We were 100% full on the day and as far as it’s hot in the rooms, it’s hot in most rooms that are facing the sun.
It upsets us when somebody puts something as bad as this on trip advisor as we always try to do our best for the guest’s enjoyment.
As far as PAT testing is concerned, in all the years that we did do it, there wasn’t one fault found. I think that the government has realised that it’s a futile exercise. The hairdryers are actually about 9 years old and do work perfectly, but then again I am I a man.
The manager has spoken in depth with this lady to apologise about her stay and offering to put a bunch of flowers in her mums room when she arrives, free of charge, and to make sure that everything would have been perfect, but she cancelled the booking anyway.
The lady received the 20% discount for her stay and then posted this review. The leak didn’t affect her, as she had had her bath. There wasn’t a crack in the bath, it was a pipe underneath.
Its sods law that something goes wrong when someone’s only staying one night and we don’t have more time to prove that were okay over the rest of the nights. We really do care.

Steve Furness
Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Queens Hotel
#24 of 87 in Torquay
The Headland Hotel
The Headland Hotel
#11 of 87 in Torquay

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!