“Fantastic staff and great service”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic staff and great service”
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I have just spent 5 nights at the Palace Hotel with my husband. It was our wedding anniversary and I arrived to a beautiful bouquet and champagne in our room. The hotel staff really made our visit special. I cannot remember receiving better service at a hotel in this country.
The room we stayed in was to be honest a little dated,however the bed was extremely comfortable and we slept very well. I would have upgraded to a sea view room but this hotel it seems, is always full.
On the whole the meals were excellent quality. I would definitely return in the future.
One request would be to update the entertainment. It's fantastic that you offer any entertainment and we really enjoyed the magician but the selection of music was very old hat. Why not have a music theme some weekends so people know what they are going to get. I would jump at the chance to come back if you had a blues or Beatles weekend.
All in all we had a fantastic time thank you.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 59elainef
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Good afternoon, thank you for your review i'm so pleased that you had a great time with us here at The Palace Hotel, and you thought the service you received was the best you have had in this country, we are ongoing with updating our rooms and bathrooms in all three of our hotels to the best standard possible.
We do hope to see you soon
Sarah Taylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Dobcross
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Found this hotel whilst looking for a couple of days away with my 88 year old slightly disabled father. Was particularly interested in good restaurant and evening entertainment.

Originally discovered on line but enquired and booked by telephone to enable me to ask about their ability to cope with my father's plain eating requirements and to discuss his disability.
Email confirmation was prompt but the attachment was labelled "Template" and had no heading on the downloaded page. This was not a concern until I logged onto their site a couple of days before arrival to find no record of my booking. Transpired this was not a feature that I could access as I had not booked on line.

On arrival car park choice was a rising bollard to the left and a barrier with no obvious microphone to the right. Chose the bollard option and parked around the back. Apparently the barrier to the right opens and the disabled spaces are in that section. No mention of that on the confirmation. Also exiting the car park requires a numerical code changed daily which meant I had to return to reception on the first occasion.

Checking in early was no problem and very smooth. We had a family room a twin bed and a single which was a credit, very clean and well presented. Access to the room was by lift and corridor. Due to changes of level internally there were a number of small flights of stairs. Some had a stair lift but the one to our room had half a dozen steps which my father with his shuffling gait, mentioned when booking, had difficulty with.

Bar lunch was pleasant but service was very slow. Left my father at the table to go to the pharmacy and when I returned nearly two hours later the dirty lunch items still had not been cleared away. Evening meal in the restaurant was excellent with good choice of each course. Vegetables were a bit too fancy for my father but they provided peas and carrots the following night. Serving staff were very attentive and efficient.

Entertainment was a male singer on Monday, reading the words to his songs from his ipad mounted on the mike stand. He kept offering to sing requests ,but when some were made said he didn't know it, why bother? Second night duo, male accompanist and vocalist, average, female vocalist good. Coach clientele were not very interested.

Overall a pleasant stay in a lovely hotel. I just feel they could have listened a bit more carefully when I made my original booking and taken our specific needs into account.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Martin L
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Dear Readers, This person is absolutely right about the car park, we now put it on every conformation about the car parks when sending out to our guests, The girl who took the booking did not do her job properly and she has been appropriately delt with and hopefully will never happen again. we have staff on all day and have 3 for lunch service, they work really hard to cover all areas of the hotel so that its kept clean and clear, however we apologise for not clearing up quick enough on this occasion.
we are pleased overall that this guest had a good time here at the Palace Hotel.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel for two nights. The hotel is really lovely. We would like to say thank you to the restaurant staff, Sue the Restaurant Manager, Sarah and Nordi. They accommodated every request we made from requesting more gravy to moving to a larger table. This team make the hotel!!! The food is lovely although I couldn't imagine eating that much food for more than a couple of days. We stayed in room 22 which is a lovely big room which has an amazing view. I have one big criticism though and that is we booked a double room and paid extra for an executive room. The trouble is, it is not a double bed but two singles pushed together. I did not complain about this as we did not want to move from the actual room. Although I spoke to a member of housekeeping on the last day as was told I should have, as room 24 is usually a twin room. My parents stayed in 24 which is a standard room did actually have a double bed! In a hotel of this standard these things matter. Overall though it's a super place.
Mr and Mrs Spiers

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
1 Thank Cals118
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Good afternoon,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased that you had a great time at The Palace hotel and that the staff in the restaurant looked after you well, we all do our best to make sure the guest has a great experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Many thanks to all at the Palace for a wonderful 11 night stay.
Staff all very helpful and friendly and the food - just marvellous.
Special thanks to Sue, David and Ivanna in the restaurant and also to the lady who serviced our room who's name I don't know.
The standard generally of the hotel was absolutely top notch.
We have already booked again for next year.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room it is well worth it.
1 Thank Ian M
General M, General Manager at The Palace, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Good evening, Many thanks for leaving a review on The Palace we are delighted that you had a great 11 night stay with us, I will pass on your thanks to Sue and the staff in the restaurant.
We look forward to welcoming you back next year.
Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Not many hotels pay attention to detail.When we arrived the car park was as tidy at the back as it was at the front, not even a dog end in site. Also somebody had taken the trouble to dead head the roses.Great start, our room was large, clean,and tidy only a few scuffs to the paintwork.The food was excellent, and served by friendly and hard working staff.Evening entertainment ok , depending on your opinion.EXcellent place to stay and only a short walk into town.

Room Tip: Not too bad on any side, may be quiter at the back.
1 Thank stephensmith103
Good evening, Thank you for the wonderful review i am so pleased that you found everything to a great standard, we take pride in our gardens and surrounding car parks, i'm also pleased that you thought our food was excellent, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We are return visitors. Dining staff good reception less friendly. The breakfast was good but the evening meal was a bit hit and miss, fish smothered in butter, beef slices in odd tasting sauce. Room 80 not great, view of bins and noisy from extractor fan and sawing, drill from maintenance work. Great location on seafront comfortable rooms excellent cleaning staff.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Good morning, thank you for leaving your mixed review. Firstly it is lovely to hear that you enjoyed service of the restaurant staff and room attendants and that you found the rooms to be comfortable.
I do struggle to understand why you found the reception to be less friendly, they are usually the hub of the hotel, but i do apologise if you caught them on an off day.
We are currently redeveloping both our table d'hot and a la carte menus with our executive chef and new head chef of the Palace hotel, and they are going to be very special. Your stay was during a transitional period in our kitchen, and although the food was still very good, we believe it is now something special.
A couple of side view rooms are directly above our courtyard where our bin store is housed, however it is a specially designed store where bins are kept out of view in a tidy fashion.
I do apologise about maintatenance work happening outside the hotel, however we have to be continually focusing on maintaining and improving the hotel to ensure the standards are kept to the highest levels possible for our guests enjoyment.
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

And the changing room smelt of urine look very grubby the lockers need a good clean in side take flip flops if you visit too save your feet!
Restaurant food was excellent and the staff were very helpful could not ask anymore from them maybe the Manager could take a leaf out of there book.

4 Thank Alistair W
Dear readers, I can assure you that our Genisis Health and Beauty suite is not grubby in the slightest. We have over 500 regular members and lots of hotel guests that frequently use our gym and never take issue. We have a dedicated team of full time staff in Genisis who ensure cleanliness and standards are kept at the highest level at all times.
Our swimming pool, beauty rooms, brand new gym equipment and changing rooms are all serviced and maintained to the best standard possible.
If our changing rooms did fall short of our usual high standards on the day this guest visited then i do apologise, however this is a very rare lapse in what is usually a very well looked after facility.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 17 in Paignton
The Headland Hotel
The Headland Hotel
#12 of 88 in Torquay

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!