The Palace
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
Berry Hotel(Paignton)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsexecutive roomhealth suitesea viewcourse evening mealsilver servicelovely hotelsea frontpublic roomson arrivalcoach partiescheese and biscuitsquality hotelsister hotelswimming poolsunday lunchsauna and steam roomhigh standard
Reviewed 24 September 2009

frendly staff' walk out the hotel right onto the seafront' the food is first class' i can not find fault' and can not beleave the price' i would go there year after year. great parking.
i tell all my frends that it is the best hotel to go to for the price.

i can not fault..
robert pensioner.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2009

I intend to sue this hotel.

It was that bad.

I am also going to contact Enjoy England and ask them to reconsider their star rating.

I have stayed in some lovely hotels over the years and in some dumps .. however, the "Palace" was the most overpriced, lowest quality hotel I've ever had the misfortune to stay at.

If you are offered a room for free .. and you're currently homeless .. and it's raining .. and J.Lo offers to share the room with you .. and then tells you she forgot all her clothes except her bikini .. then you might want to consider staying at the Palace Hotel, Paignton. POSSIBLY. Otherwise you should avoid it like Swine Flu.

When you are reading what follows, please bear in mind this 3 STAR hotel charges OVER £100 A NIGHT FOR A "STANDARD" ROOM - not some cheap B&B.

Personally, I think they should call their rooms "Sub-Standard" because that's what they are.

I don't have enough time to write up the full disaster that was out stay .. but take a look at some of our photos for an idea of how great this hotel was.

Here's a summary:

- Room was nowhere near the quality advertised .. everything was old and dirty
- Bathroom was a disgrace .. it was not even fit for a YMCA in the third world .. let alone a 3 star hotel in Devon charging over £100 a night. Toilet seat was chipped. Cheap stained Lino. Bath was stained. Tiles were chipped. Radiator was rusy, old and didn't work. It was caked in dust. Have a look at the photos.
- Room was disgustingly dirty .. parts of it hadn't been dusted in years .. that is not an exaggeration.
- We had workmen on on our room 50% of the days we were there .. IN AUGUST. They were throwing things off the room onto a skip outside our room.
- Breakfast took ages, toast was cold, no orange juice (had to wait ages .. and they never topped it up) .. and breakfast was tiny. I got 1 egg. 1 bit of toast. I sausage and 1 slice of Bacon. All tasted horrible. That's what they call a "Full English" in this 3 star hotel apparently.

The room we stayed in was less clean, and lower quality, than a £5 a night hostel in Malaysia I stayed at last August. Yet it cost over £100 a night.

DO NOT STAY HERE. Seriously.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CornishWebDesigner
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We have just returned from this hotel , and found it to be an excellent hotel . We stayed in room 15 which was a very large room with a fantastic view . All the staff we spoke to were very pleasant and could not do enough to help . we will be returning next year . We also found Paignton to be very nice lots of things to do

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank tomyork
Reviewed 13 July 2009

This hotel is the best rated in Paignton, and one of few larger classy looking places in a low budget B&B town. So we thought we see what the best hotel in paignton had to offer. Btw it was the home of the Singer family famous for sewing machines, and is an imposing seafront building in a convenient location.

Coudn't fault the room for comfort and cleanliness. Spacious, bright with crisp clean linen, a little old fashioned but fine for me. Bathroom functional and clean. Sea view but so far back from the beach which is flat, you look straight out to sea with no bayscape, so not really worth it. Only problem - damned window - couldn't open, had to call someone; they'd left it locked so as we couldn't fill out as it ws dangerous apparently. Being large and South facing you can imagine how hot it got, especially as there was a heatwave on.

As far as staying in a proper classy hotel goes, a dissappointing experience. The dining room was not sea viewing, but at the back with no windows. Stuffy and uncomfortably hot and the chairs were not comfy and rather rickety. Menu bland; not awful food but not the best. Service average, took a long time to get fed sometimes. Did not match the dressed up staff who gave the impression you'd get better than you did. After dinner entertainment involved terrible pub singer in the conervatory surrounded by many sleeping older guests. No offence to them at all, but the hotel presented itself having good adult entertainment.

The bar was the only place from which you could sit outside on the terrace, and somehow only managed to have a couple of tables for this> Tiny, and never anyone behind the bar so everytime you wanted a drink you had to chase reception and wait ages. Shame as I was enjoying a relaxed evening and was driven out to other places as fed up waiting.

They really did not make the most of the location and potential for outside space as stated with the bar. At the back there was a very small garden with very skinny squirrel who was so hungry he was eating chop bones bless! And round the back there was the stench and noise of the kitchen, so hardly retreat. Had been left to go to seed rather.

I was dissappointed as it lacked the atmosphere and friendliness that you get when you stay in a holiday hotel. Had they had a bigger better staffed social area that would have helped. Often you get chatting to staff at the bar and others join in, you get to know them throughout the course of your stay but none of that here sadly. Shame because that would have gone some way to completing the experience. The other thing that did me in was the heat - yeah it was hot outside but this plce really retained it. I couldn't sellp until relly late and you'd walk in, have a shower and be sweating and ratty and dying to get outisde before you even had time to get ready. No excuse in this day and age not to be able to provide aircon or reduce heat.

The price was not bad, and the location good. I'd love to want to go back but we just found it so dull and unfriendly so unless we need to stay in Paignton I doubt I will. Sorry s I really wanted to love this place but it was just ok.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RoomWithAViewpoint
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Have to admit that we booked by accident - thinking we were staying at the Palace Torquay. Despite this Palace Hotel not really meeting the standards set by it's namesake in the neighbouring town, it's actually not that bad.

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and the Hotel was busy, the hotel seems to be used by coach holiday companies. We had a very pleasant afternoon tea in the conservatory.

Our room was clean and comfortable although there was some damage to a radiator cover. Also the room (a club room) was quite small. It did however have a lovely view over the seafront and pier.

Evening meal was very average. Very simple food adequately cooked - my wife's turkey breast was as tough as old boots. My lovely well cooked piece of fish came with a vast amount of thick gloupy sauce, the type you make from a packet then leave in the microwave too long. Other than that everything else was fine. Nice breakfast.

All the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple