“Good 3* Hotel”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed 24 October 2009

The check-in process was quick and reception staff polite and helpful. We were informed that if we came down after check-in we would receive free tea and coffee downstairs which is a nice touch.

Our room was on the top floor, it was spacious with a small hallway leading into a large room with a double and a single bed. The views from the room were outstanding, looking over the seafront and as we were up early in the morning we were able to watch the sun rise. There was also a small seating area with sofa and chair and table. The room had a flat screen TV, tea and coffee facilties and a good quality bottled water. The bathroom was large and both the room and bathroom were clean. I think we had a club room which I would recommend paying the extra for.

We asked the receptionists for some recommendations for places to eat in the evening and they were very helpful and seemed to have a good knowledge of the area. We also asked if they could bring breakfast up to us in the morning as my friend was getting ready for her wedding, they happily obliged to do this and brought up whatever we wanted - be aware there is a £3 pp charge for this though.

The bar area is nice and has a pool table and TV. The drinks are a tad on the pricey side but nothing too extreme. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to use the leisure facilities.

Overall I thought the hotel was fantastic for a 3* hotel, I have stayed in 4* hotels which were not half as nice as this one. The overall presentation of the hotel is good, although maybe slightly dated and some areas could do with a little touch up - peeling paint etc. But it was clean and the staff were great and willing to help with any requests we had. If I was to visit Paignton again I would most likely stay here.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kristina B

Reviewed 8 October 2009

I was recommended this hotel by friends who live locally and I was not disappointed. The hotel was first rate with elegant and tasteful decor, charming and courteous staff and bright, clean rooms with fabulous views. I will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank northernmonkey006
Reviewed 27 September 2009

This is the 5th time we have stayed in the Palace Hotel in the past 2 years as we have family in Paington. This is by far the best hotel we have stayed in in the area!!

From the moment we first walked in, we were thoroughly impressed. The reception/ conservatory/ bar/ restaurant area are all beautifully furnished, with a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere (i didnt sit on one rickety chair during any of my stays as stated in a different review).

We stayed on both a dinner bed and breakfast deal and B&B. All meals were lovely and well presented. There are plenty of choices as there is a set a la Carte and a Table d'hote menu which is changed daily. Breakfast is always of a high standard with a continental buffet and the choice of cooked breakfast served.

The staff are very friendly and cannot do enough to assist in making each stay perfect, In the evenings, we enjoyed sitting at the bar and chatting with the barstaff and other guests with the evenings entertainment in the background. There is a bar terrace with heated lights and a lovely garden with tables and chairs to sit out and enjoy the fresh air.

All the rooms that we have stayed in have been very well furnished and so clean and tidy that it seams that nobody has stayed in the room before. The bathroom is always absolutely pristine!

It is situated in the heart of Paington, with the lovely beach a minutes walk away and the town centre about 5 minutes walk away. Perfect spot!

NOT ONE COMPLAINT.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YorkshireKimico
Reviewed 24 September 2009

frendly staff' walk out the hotel right onto the seafront' the food is first class' i can not find fault' and can not beleave the price' i would go there year after year. great parking.
i tell all my frends that it is the best hotel to go to for the price.

i can not fault..
robert pensioner.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2009

I intend to sue this hotel.

It was that bad.

I am also going to contact Enjoy England and ask them to reconsider their star rating.

I have stayed in some lovely hotels over the years and in some dumps .. however, the "Palace" was the most overpriced, lowest quality hotel I've ever had the misfortune to stay at.

If you are offered a room for free .. and you're currently homeless .. and it's raining .. and J.Lo offers to share the room with you .. and then tells you she forgot all her clothes except her bikini .. then you might want to consider staying at the Palace Hotel, Paignton. POSSIBLY. Otherwise you should avoid it like Swine Flu.

When you are reading what follows, please bear in mind this 3 STAR hotel charges OVER £100 A NIGHT FOR A "STANDARD" ROOM - not some cheap B&B.

Personally, I think they should call their rooms "Sub-Standard" because that's what they are.

I don't have enough time to write up the full disaster that was out stay .. but take a look at some of our photos for an idea of how great this hotel was.

Here's a summary:

- Room was nowhere near the quality advertised .. everything was old and dirty
- Bathroom was a disgrace .. it was not even fit for a YMCA in the third world .. let alone a 3 star hotel in Devon charging over £100 a night. Toilet seat was chipped. Cheap stained Lino. Bath was stained. Tiles were chipped. Radiator was rusy, old and didn't work. It was caked in dust. Have a look at the photos.
- Room was disgustingly dirty .. parts of it hadn't been dusted in years .. that is not an exaggeration.
- We had workmen on on our room 50% of the days we were there .. IN AUGUST. They were throwing things off the room onto a skip outside our room.
- Breakfast took ages, toast was cold, no orange juice (had to wait ages .. and they never topped it up) .. and breakfast was tiny. I got 1 egg. 1 bit of toast. I sausage and 1 slice of Bacon. All tasted horrible. That's what they call a "Full English" in this 3 star hotel apparently.

The room we stayed in was less clean, and lower quality, than a £5 a night hostel in Malaysia I stayed at last August. Yet it cost over £100 a night.

DO NOT STAY HERE. Seriously.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CornishWebDesigner
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We have just returned from this hotel , and found it to be an excellent hotel . We stayed in room 15 which was a very large room with a fantastic view . All the staff we spoke to were very pleasant and could not do enough to help . we will be returning next year . We also found Paignton to be very nice lots of things to do

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank tomyork
Reviewed 13 July 2009

This hotel is the best rated in Paignton, and one of few larger classy looking places in a low budget B&B town. So we thought we see what the best hotel in paignton had to offer. Btw it was the home of the Singer family famous for sewing machines, and is an imposing seafront building in a convenient location.

Coudn't fault the room for comfort and cleanliness. Spacious, bright with crisp clean linen, a little old fashioned but fine for me. Bathroom functional and clean. Sea view but so far back from the beach which is flat, you look straight out to sea with no bayscape, so not really worth it. Only problem - damned window - couldn't open, had to call someone; they'd left it locked so as we couldn't fill out as it ws dangerous apparently. Being large and South facing you can imagine how hot it got, especially as there was a heatwave on.

As far as staying in a proper classy hotel goes, a dissappointing experience. The dining room was not sea viewing, but at the back with no windows. Stuffy and uncomfortably hot and the chairs were not comfy and rather rickety. Menu bland; not awful food but not the best. Service average, took a long time to get fed sometimes. Did not match the dressed up staff who gave the impression you'd get better than you did. After dinner entertainment involved terrible pub singer in the conervatory surrounded by many sleeping older guests. No offence to them at all, but the hotel presented itself having good adult entertainment.

The bar was the only place from which you could sit outside on the terrace, and somehow only managed to have a couple of tables for this> Tiny, and never anyone behind the bar so everytime you wanted a drink you had to chase reception and wait ages. Shame as I was enjoying a relaxed evening and was driven out to other places as fed up waiting.

They really did not make the most of the location and potential for outside space as stated with the bar. At the back there was a very small garden with very skinny squirrel who was so hungry he was eating chop bones bless! And round the back there was the stench and noise of the kitchen, so hardly retreat. Had been left to go to seed rather.

I was dissappointed as it lacked the atmosphere and friendliness that you get when you stay in a holiday hotel. Had they had a bigger better staffed social area that would have helped. Often you get chatting to staff at the bar and others join in, you get to know them throughout the course of your stay but none of that here sadly. Shame because that would have gone some way to completing the experience. The other thing that did me in was the heat - yeah it was hot outside but this plce really retained it. I couldn't sellp until relly late and you'd walk in, have a shower and be sweating and ratty and dying to get outisde before you even had time to get ready. No excuse in this day and age not to be able to provide aircon or reduce heat.

The price was not bad, and the location good. I'd love to want to go back but we just found it so dull and unfriendly so unless we need to stay in Paignton I doubt I will. Sorry s I really wanted to love this place but it was just ok.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RoomWithAViewpoint
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Queens Hotel
#6 of 17 in Paignton
Summerhill Hotel
Summerhill Hotel
#1 of 17 in Paignton

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!