“What a gem of a restaurant”
Review of Torbay Thai

Torbay Thai
Ranked #19 of 183 Restaurants in Paignton
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Paignton, United Kingdom
“What a gem of a restaurant”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Great food great atmosphere and really friendly people. It's really busy all the time so book in advance.

Visited May 2013

London
“Possibly the best Thai I have ever had but I never new 26 people could be so noisy!!!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were recommended to visit the Torbay Thai last Saturday and were very glad that we went.

It is in a tiny shop unit and only has a few tables for dining. It was packed but we struck lucky because two people were lust leaving as we arrived. We got a table for two. The place was simply packed to capacity and can only seat 26 people.

So the bad part was the noise that there was in the place. My wife and I were unable to converse. How can 26 people make so much noise??

Alcohol is not served in the Torbay Thai and they advise you to pop over the road to the nearby Tesco Express to buy your own hooch. They do add a small amount to the bill for corkage. I didn't really object to this because they provided glasses, corkscrew etc.

The set meal was possibly the best Thai meal that I have ever had. The food was simply superb! It was tasty, fresh, generous portions and superbly presented. No wonder this place is so popular! We spoke to the couple whose table we took and they were local and had this as their favourite for a long time.

I just wish that we lived closer to Paignton. The Torbay Thai is a very small restaurant and a hidden gem. My only advice is to take ear protectors!

Hope this is helpful.

• Visited September 2013
devon
“Excellent you must go but book well in advance....”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We went with 2 other couples. You have to book well in advance as it is a very popular restaurant. The family that own this are soooo lovely. Out of the 6 of us we had 3 of us that had never had Thai before... Me being one of them. The food was excellent and we enjoyed every dish. You take your own drink as there is no bar and they don't have a licence . It is a small area and only 1 toilet but don't let this put u off as that makes the atmosphere of the experience with it being intimate. We were last out and there was no pressure to hurry. We would recommend the set meals as they are well worth it for the money. For a couple we paid £34 for the set menu B.

“Authentic Thai”
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Having lived in Bangkok for a number of years we are always wary of eating in Thai restaurants here, but we weren't disappointed.
The place is small, but the staff are friendly and smiling. Service was good.
The starters were very good. The main courses too were excellent; we took our own wine. We had no room for desserts, but from looking at the menu, they seem to be typically Thai.
We would definitely return.

Torbay Uk
“Truly Scrumptious!”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

After visiting Thailand a few times over the years, I cannot get enough of Thai food. As I have eaten it in its true form I am rather picky to the taste of Thai but without fail Torbay Thai never lets me down!
From the warm welcome and 'Hello Darling' when ordering and collecting your takeaway to the delicious starters and meaty mains this has to be my fav local restaurant which lucky for me is situated pretty much on my doorstep!
As a family we all ordered different dishes last night and again was not disappointed. My prawn sweet & sour dish had a lot of prawns, rice was cooked to perfection, satay starters delicious, duck dish meaty. The one thing that I could comment was the prawn balls for start had a little too much batter but nothing to stop going there!
Thank you again for a warm smile and delicious family meal! See you soon :)