“It's a NO from me!”
Review of Hoburne Devon Bay

Hoburne Devon Bay
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Why, why, why do British caravan parks attract a certain type of clientele? We hired a 3 berth top of the range caravan for a family of 6, two young teenagers and two 11 year olds. The caravan was new, well decorated and clean. It was located on what should have been a quieter area of the park, but we had not been told there was a big building site in the adjacent field making it particularly noisy when sitting out on our balcony.

A visit to the clubhouse in the evening left me wanting a prescription of Prozac! Tattoos, screaming kids, football tops, rude teenagers, rubbish and cigarette ends everywhere. Topped with run down buildings, chip fat smell and bingo/entertainment hall, please someone wake me from the nightmare! Our children did however enjoy the outdoor pool in the day and sometimes, when not too busy with babies in nappies, the indoor pool and flume.

We try to go out all day anyway and the steam train and boat trip to Dartmouth was fabulous, a very pretty little town. Please avoid Paignton, unless you like cheap and tacky back to back fatty food eateries with fatty people eating in them, and we ponder why our nation is continuing to get bigger! Goodrington Sands, a fairly long walk from the caravan park was OK, reddish sands and slightly dirty beach didn't manage to coax me to sunbathe there. Tacky waterpark nearby, the kids will love of course.

We compromised this year as planning a very costly trip next year but this was so disappointing. We have so many beautiful places in the UK but somehow we still manage to get it so wrong.

Do yourself a favour, save more and try Center Parcs. Of course it depends on your expectations. This place sadly did not meet ours and we have travelled extensively throughout the UK and a Worldwide. Devon however continues to be a beautiful part of our country. Review by a professional couple.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Sammi517
HoburneHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Hoburne Devon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thanks for your review. It's a shame to hear that you didn't enjoy the park. Your feedback is essential to our decisions for the future of our parks and we will use it to improve and build upon the experiences we offer. Thanks.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just got back yesterday from a great week spent at this site. Firstly, this park is in a great location - only 10 mins walk from the beach and plenty to do in the area to keep children entertained. We arrived at the park over 2 hours before check-in and our caravan was ready - which we thought was excellent. Reception staff were very friendly, welcoming and efficient.

Our caravan was a Platinum and it was wonderful. Modern, spotlessly clean and very well equipped. The site was well laid out and parking was very easy and close to the caravan.

The two swimming pools were both great, changing facilities clean and well maintained. The children's park and indoor play areas were also well kept and provided great entertainment for my two children (aged 6 and 3). We went to the clubhouse one evening and the children enjoyed the character entertainment and the disco. Bar prices were reasonable.

I appreciate that people have different expectations and experiences when they go on holiday but I must disagree with a previous reviewer and say that in our experience the other holidaymakers were perfectly civil and respectful.

Overall, a very enjoyable week, made even better by great weather. If we were to holiday in the area again we wouldn't hesitate to return to this site.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Rachel S

Thanks for your review. It's great to hear you and your family had a fantastic holiday and enjoyed your accommodation and the facilities on offer at the park. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my family have just returned from our second visit to Hoburne. After last year we really enjoyed it so we rebooked for this year but for two weeks, unfortunately we have been left disappointed and will not be returning next year. We hired our caravan through H & H caravan hire and as always was perfect, clean and the view was out of this world, we were greeted and made to feel very welcome by the owner absolutely no complaints with the service we received from H & H caravan hire. However, we are not a family that relies on the entertainment on site as we like to go out and about however my 7 year old daughter had said she fancied the disco dancing lessons these where on 10.30-11.30 one day, so we decided that day we would have a pool day. My husband dropped her off at 10.30 when he arrived back he told me that the entertainment lady had said to the children there 'who wants to do the dancing or watch sponge bob instead?' He told me the children had said dancing so when he left they were starting a dance, I was shocked by this but thought at least she is doing the dancing now. Myself, my husband and my 6 year old boy then gathered our things and made our way down to the pool, we call in to check on her around 10.50 and low and behold she was sat watching sponge bob on the projector!!!! No staff insight. A lady sat there said they had done two dances, I went to complain to reception as I could not find a entertainments member, the receptionist was really helpful and went and found the entertainment staff, she came out and said oh does she want to do some more dances? To which I replied yes hence why she came to the session! I was totally disappoint with this that my child was just sat in front of the tv on holiday. As we stayed for two weeks the occasions we did visit the club
house in the evening it was very repetitive and dated the sammy story time was pre recorded and the same for both weeks, my son and daughter spent most of the time we were in the club house playing in the ball pool, my 7 year old came crying to our table saying she had been told by the member of staff she wasn't allowed to play in the area as she was to tall, now her brother was playing in the area and I am not a parent who would allow her 7 year old to go wondering around downstairs alone in the arcade, so she had to either stay with us bored or we all had to go into the arcade (which any arcade costs a small fortune with 2 children). Also we notice the level of cleanliness and general maintenance around the park has dropped a
lot since last year. We had a meal in the restaurant on site one evening, the restaurant had cobwebs in the corner, the windows and walls were grotty and the waitress gave me three different folks before I got a clean one. The menu had offers such as 'two for £12' which is good however my husband did not want the budget steak but I wanted a vegetarian option off the offers menu, this has never been a problem anywhere we have ever visited, we went to order and we was not allowed to order what we wanted, my husband complained and the chef came out and My husband explained I wanted the vegetarian option that was on the offers but my husband didn't fancy anything from the offers to which the chef replied 'there's a vegetarian curry' ???? I explained I did not want a curry or I would of ordered that! What a strange thing to say to a customer? In the end my husband had to order something of the specials menu he did not want. We were told we would wait 30 minutes and we waited nearly a hour for poor quality frozen food. When we were leaving my children wanted a sammy the seahorse teddy could I get them one NO they had 'sold out' and were waiting on a delivery, now I know these things happen but it is very disappointing on the last day of our holiday having two upset children because they want a sammy to take home surely it is a product that should always be in stock to avoid heartbroken children on their holiday?
We had a amazing holiday but we could see a massive decline from last year and are unwilling
to risk our holiday next year. It is very disappointing as we do like the caravan and it's location.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Vicky620

Thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your holiday this year. On behalf of the park, we apologise for the issues you encountered. Your feedback is vital to us for improving the experience we offer our customers.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Visited here for a couple of days with the in laws in their caravan. The site itself is huge and spaced out well. However one thing we noticed during the visit was that the toilet blocks were a bit minging and needed cleaning more often, the entertainment was very cheesy and not my thing. The prices were quite expensive as well for what you get. Everyone seemed to be friendly and helpful here though which was good.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
HoburneHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Hoburne Devon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thanks for your review. We do try to maintain a high level of cleanliness for our facilities so we do urge customers who find this to not be the case to report it to reception or a member of staff so it can be remedied straight away! Thanks!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just stayed on a Monday to Friday costing around £580.00

To be honest it appears that you really need at least one tattoo to fit in here (wife and kids included)
It's full of people that enjoy making a complete row when making their way back to their accommodation around midnight with no respect for fellow holidaymakers.

The place needs a complete facelift and paint job and some serious modernisation. It feels run down and very 1980s.
If they wish to charge premium prices they need to up their game, maybe some people accept this type os standard park when paying this kind of money but I find it a bit of a rip off.

They need to employ somebody to visibly clean things in the public areas throughout the day. Wherever you look there is litter, food debris, seagull sh**e, cigarette butts etc etc There is really no sign of anybody really taking care of the place.

The entertainment was pretty shocking and far too loud and the club was just full of drunk people who were really quite annoying.

There was some kind of family physical fight going on in one of the caravans opposite us early one evening which seemed typical of the type of cliental that this park seems to attract.

The only positives I can find is that the caravan was of a reasonable standard and the outdoor pool was pretty good, apart from that well below what I'd expect (and I'm not normally a winger by the way).

Book with caution!!

5  Thank Tony S

Thanks for your review. Your feedback is vital to us improving the park and we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with areas we can improve on.

We urge all our customers to report anything that disturbs the peace of the park to a member of staff so these situations can be resolved at the immediately.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy the entertainment, our Devon Bay team are praised highly on Tripadvisor so it is a shame to hear that they disappointed you.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The toilet blocks on the bottom field are very dirty. We saw a bloke go into clean them but afraid to say it takes longer than 5 minutes, he didnt do a very good job. Entertainment is excellent every night. Not sure about the fright show as we are nowhere near Halloween yet. But i presume that isnt the teams fault

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Hi have been coming here since I was a small child now I bring my own children, I love this place.. But there is just a few things..
No thatchers gold sold
Entertainment closes at 11pm
The shower blocks on the touring field do need up dating,

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for your review and highlighting areas you'd like to see improved. We'll be sure to pass them on to the park manager to review. Thanks!