“Hoilday”
Review of Hoburne Devon Bay

Hoburne Devon Bay
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Come down to stay for a fewdays as family already down here and have booked to come back for a week next year. Only problem was the breakfast on the Saturday morning took an hour for it to come, but they weren't that busy and chef was stressey. I hope they sort this out. Apart from that lovely place to stay

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
HoburneHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Hoburne Devon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thanks for your review, your feedback is essential for showing us areas we need to focus on to improve our customer experience. Thanks.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Have just returned from a week on this site, myself, husband and 4 children, caravan was amazing, big clean and even had 2 toilets!! The 2 pools were good and we made good use of them, food wise we didnt bother trying any of the restaurants due to astronomical pricing and watching the food go past to other diners it really didnt look worth the money, few niggles are that the microwave in the caravan was over a year out of PAC test (illegal surely?) although there is security they seem to do little but stand at the main door, i saw many teen girls being brought alcohol by older boys and this just seemed to be overlooked, if you go into the clubhouse after 6pm you will NOT get a seat, room is exceptionally small for the size of the park!! I thought the entertainment was appauling, including the travelling acts. The area surrounding the park is phenominal with something for everyone from steam train and waterparks to beaches and amusements, we stayed here last year and we most likely will come again as generally we had a good time, just need to fine tune a few things.

Room Tip: booking a gold or platinum caravan seems to get the best pitches, anything less and you could have a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lindsey n

Thanks for your review. Your feedback will help us improve the site for the future. Many thanks.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just returned from this great park from 2nd-9th August 14 with my wife and three young children.
Okay reading from past recent reviews I will say, yes the restaurant could do with a spruce up but it's still exceptable and we eat there every night and good was cooked very well.
Can I say a big well done to the entertaments manager Kev, he is very good at what he does with the mic and effort he puts into his shows, ( I had to tell him this as I hope he stays at here next year)

We had a fantastic caravan L21 through H&H. Brand new this year.

Keep up the good work, few tips, spend some money on the restutrant, maybe a paint. Entertament room could be made wider.
Perhaps do bingo before Sammy show begins and keep it as a family friendly park no slobs or rough people.

By the way, going back to the very recent review, if it was that rough we would not be going to the entertament every night.

We will be back in 2015, will be our 5th year.
The Hunt family

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Hunt12345

Thanks for your kind review and where you'd like to see improvements on the park. This is vital to us and helps us identify locations or areas our customers would like to see improved for their next stay. Thanks!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is the forth year we have been to Devon Bay, we have also been to Minehead, must say I found the staff most helpful and the response from any problems we may have had were dealt with efficiently. I have two teenagers so the clubhouse for us was great they enjoyed both swimming pools and the other facilities around the site. The site itself was clean and efficiently run. We are looking to go back the end of August for a long weekend. We will most certainly be returning next year as well.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for your great review! We're pleased you and your family really enjoy visiting Devon Bay and look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Why, why, why do British caravan parks attract a certain type of clientele? We hired a 3 berth top of the range caravan for a family of 6, two young teenagers and two 11 year olds. The caravan was new, well decorated and clean. It was located on what should have been a quieter area of the park, but we had not been told there was a big building site in the adjacent field making it particularly noisy when sitting out on our balcony.

A visit to the clubhouse in the evening left me wanting a prescription of Prozac! Tattoos, screaming kids, football tops, rude teenagers, rubbish and cigarette ends everywhere. Topped with run down buildings, chip fat smell and bingo/entertainment hall, please someone wake me from the nightmare! Our children did however enjoy the outdoor pool in the day and sometimes, when not too busy with babies in nappies, the indoor pool and flume.

We try to go out all day anyway and the steam train and boat trip to Dartmouth was fabulous, a very pretty little town. Please avoid Paignton, unless you like cheap and tacky back to back fatty food eateries with fatty people eating in them, and we ponder why our nation is continuing to get bigger! Goodrington Sands, a fairly long walk from the caravan park was OK, reddish sands and slightly dirty beach didn't manage to coax me to sunbathe there. Tacky waterpark nearby, the kids will love of course.

We compromised this year as planning a very costly trip next year but this was so disappointing. We have so many beautiful places in the UK but somehow we still manage to get it so wrong.

Do yourself a favour, save more and try Center Parcs. Of course it depends on your expectations. This place sadly did not meet ours and we have travelled extensively throughout the UK and a Worldwide. Devon however continues to be a beautiful part of our country. Review by a professional couple.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Sammi517

Thanks for your review. It's a shame to hear that you didn't enjoy the park. Your feedback is essential to our decisions for the future of our parks and we will use it to improve and build upon the experiences we offer. Thanks.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just got back yesterday from a great week spent at this site. Firstly, this park is in a great location - only 10 mins walk from the beach and plenty to do in the area to keep children entertained. We arrived at the park over 2 hours before check-in and our caravan was ready - which we thought was excellent. Reception staff were very friendly, welcoming and efficient.

Our caravan was a Platinum and it was wonderful. Modern, spotlessly clean and very well equipped. The site was well laid out and parking was very easy and close to the caravan.

The two swimming pools were both great, changing facilities clean and well maintained. The children's park and indoor play areas were also well kept and provided great entertainment for my two children (aged 6 and 3). We went to the clubhouse one evening and the children enjoyed the character entertainment and the disco. Bar prices were reasonable.

I appreciate that people have different expectations and experiences when they go on holiday but I must disagree with a previous reviewer and say that in our experience the other holidaymakers were perfectly civil and respectful.

Overall, a very enjoyable week, made even better by great weather. If we were to holiday in the area again we wouldn't hesitate to return to this site.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Rachel S

Thanks for your review. It's great to hear you and your family had a fantastic holiday and enjoyed your accommodation and the facilities on offer at the park. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my family have just returned from our second visit to Hoburne. After last year we really enjoyed it so we rebooked for this year but for two weeks, unfortunately we have been left disappointed and will not be returning next year. We hired our caravan through H & H caravan hire and as always was perfect, clean and the view was out of this world, we were greeted and made to feel very welcome by the owner absolutely no complaints with the service we received from H & H caravan hire. However, we are not a family that relies on the entertainment on site as we like to go out and about however my 7 year old daughter had said she fancied the disco dancing lessons these where on 10.30-11.30 one day, so we decided that day we would have a pool day. My husband dropped her off at 10.30 when he arrived back he told me that the entertainment lady had said to the children there 'who wants to do the dancing or watch sponge bob instead?' He told me the children had said dancing so when he left they were starting a dance, I was shocked by this but thought at least she is doing the dancing now. Myself, my husband and my 6 year old boy then gathered our things and made our way down to the pool, we call in to check on her around 10.50 and low and behold she was sat watching sponge bob on the projector!!!! No staff insight. A lady sat there said they had done two dances, I went to complain to reception as I could not find a entertainments member, the receptionist was really helpful and went and found the entertainment staff, she came out and said oh does she want to do some more dances? To which I replied yes hence why she came to the session! I was totally disappoint with this that my child was just sat in front of the tv on holiday. As we stayed for two weeks the occasions we did visit the club
house in the evening it was very repetitive and dated the sammy story time was pre recorded and the same for both weeks, my son and daughter spent most of the time we were in the club house playing in the ball pool, my 7 year old came crying to our table saying she had been told by the member of staff she wasn't allowed to play in the area as she was to tall, now her brother was playing in the area and I am not a parent who would allow her 7 year old to go wondering around downstairs alone in the arcade, so she had to either stay with us bored or we all had to go into the arcade (which any arcade costs a small fortune with 2 children). Also we notice the level of cleanliness and general maintenance around the park has dropped a
lot since last year. We had a meal in the restaurant on site one evening, the restaurant had cobwebs in the corner, the windows and walls were grotty and the waitress gave me three different folks before I got a clean one. The menu had offers such as 'two for £12' which is good however my husband did not want the budget steak but I wanted a vegetarian option off the offers menu, this has never been a problem anywhere we have ever visited, we went to order and we was not allowed to order what we wanted, my husband complained and the chef came out and My husband explained I wanted the vegetarian option that was on the offers but my husband didn't fancy anything from the offers to which the chef replied 'there's a vegetarian curry' ???? I explained I did not want a curry or I would of ordered that! What a strange thing to say to a customer? In the end my husband had to order something of the specials menu he did not want. We were told we would wait 30 minutes and we waited nearly a hour for poor quality frozen food. When we were leaving my children wanted a sammy the seahorse teddy could I get them one NO they had 'sold out' and were waiting on a delivery, now I know these things happen but it is very disappointing on the last day of our holiday having two upset children because they want a sammy to take home surely it is a product that should always be in stock to avoid heartbroken children on their holiday?
We had a amazing holiday but we could see a massive decline from last year and are unwilling
to risk our holiday next year. It is very disappointing as we do like the caravan and it's location.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Vicky620

Thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your holiday this year. On behalf of the park, we apologise for the issues you encountered. Your feedback is vital to us for improving the experience we offer our customers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Travelodge Paignton Seafront
3 mi away
The Grand Hotel
The Grand Hotel
#28 of 85 in Torquay

Been to Hoburne Devon Bay? Share your experiences!