“Mrs Cocks”

Sefton Lodge
Ranked #70 of 96 Paignton B&B and Inns
“Mrs Cocks”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic place! We received a very warm welcome from this family run hotel, it was clean and comfortable and offered every thing we needed. It's central location was perfect and the views from our room were idyllic. The breakfast was just what we needed before our days out. I couldn't recommend it more! We will be returning!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Having booked last minute we were so pleased to have chosen the Sefton. We were met with a warm and friendly welcome. Our first impressions were good. The room and en suite were spotless and very comfortable. Clean linen/towels were provided daily. Breakfast was excellent and plenty of it. Great location within minutes of all attractions. Looking forward to returning very soon. (Might finally catch some fish) Thanks for everthing.

• Stayed September 2013
Willenhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

what a terrible place i also read the good reviews and booked asked if hd high chair and room for travel cot told me yes paid the deposit and a few days before we were to arrive phoned and asked if cot was available a very snotty woman told me no room for a cot in room i told her i had asked before booking if it was okay said would ring back a phone call later a man with bad attitude told me a cot would not fit in room no apology anyhow my son and partner still turned up at sefton lodge with out child the welcome was none exsistant it seemed as if they were not welcome the breakfast was inedible full of grease and not able to eat so they left they had paid over 50.00 deposit they went and stayed elsewere i phoned and cancelled the room my son cancelled as well what did the unhelpful host do took the full price of holiday from my card without my consent Thief dont ever stay here said i hadnt cancelled but we had you dont want to stop were you not welcome the place was dirty and food inedible

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank 392julie
Buckingham
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Horrible place! I'd scarcely have believed such seedy establishments as the Sefton still existed in 2013. After years of constant disappointment with B & B's and Guesthouses in the 70s and early 80s over dreadful standards of cleanliness, hygiene, comfort and high prices, my wife and I turned to the national Lodge chains for our short breaks in England. Slated by some, these have given us overwhelmingly comfortable, clean and very reasonably priced accommodation over the years. However last week we decided that B & B standards must have improved since we last stayed in them and so decided to give the Sefton a chance, for a weekend break, based on its reviews. HUGE MISTAKE!
When we arrived, there was old metal furniture piled in the garden. The proprietor opened the door in frayed jeans and grubby slippers. The hall, stairs and landing were shabby with tired and worn carpets but we hoped that the room would be better - what a disappointment! The room was tiny - much smaller than it seemed in the picture of the room on the Sefton website. The website pictures seemed to have been taken some years ago. The faded and chipped decor also bore no resemblance, having the look of not having been touched for years! The sheets, quilt and cover on the bed were paper-thin, the pillows no better and the valance looked as if it had not been removed and cleaned for weeks. Yes, there was a balcony, but covering the door to it was a net curtain that matched the valance for fustiness.
Throughout the "Lodge" there was a pervasive smell of stale food and general foist. It was not at all like a home from home! It was like going back in time to B & Bs in the 70s!
After the proprietor had left us in the room, my wife and I looked at each other, collected our bags and exited as fast as we could. There was no way that we would or could have stayed even though we had paid in advance. We were forced to pay again to stay elsewhere, where the welcome was far warmer and the standard much higher.
I can't help contrasting our experience with a recent stay we had in a small hotel overlooking Lake Garda - for a family wedding. For only around £5 per night more than the Sefton, we had a much bigger room with a balcony, spotlessly clean with fresh decor, comfortable big bed and friendly well-dressed professional owners which made it an absolute pleasure to stay there. Why an establishment like the Sefton cannot remotely approach these standards is a mystery to me.
We would not have stayed at the Sefton if the price per night had been £5.50 not £55. We feel conned and cheated - I will try to get a full refund. If not, I hope that the proprietor puts my money towards some fresh paint, wallpaper, bedding and carpets. The place certainly needs it.
We are not confrontational people but when we returned home we did phone the proprietor. He refuted every claim, told us that this was all "our opinion" and stated that he decorates every year -even a cursory glance shows that this is clearly untrue - or his decorating leaves very much to be desired!
It will be a long time (if ever) that I trust a B & B or Guest House again in England.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Buckingbronk
stephen e, Owner at Sefton Lodge, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
After receiving this review I clearly would like to express how disappointing it was to read, as this person never stayed over night at my Bed and Breakfast. It is against the law to leave a review at an establishment if you have not stayed there.
I have been running Bed and Breakfast's in Paignton for 13 years, and have never experienced anything like this before.
It is clear to see from our previous reviews that this is not the feedback that I ever receive and is not a true reflection on my Bed and Breakfast. I would advise anybody reading this review to disregard it and read the other 34 reviews that are genuine.
Should this review not be removed we will be looking into this further. This has been reported to trip advertiser pending an investigation, due to the fact that it is against the law to leave a review if you have not stayed at the establishment.
kent
Reviewed 23 September 2013

had a long weekend , booked a seaview /balcony room . amazing hosts , wonderful room . friendly , accommodating , Wendy & Steve made our stay turn into the best holiday we've had in years . Will definitely be returning

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
birmingham
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just back from a few days break in paignton visiting family, we stay in paignton several times during the year and like to try different guest houses after reading very good reviews on tripadvisor we decided to give sefton lodge a try and can honestly say we were not disappointed.The accommodation is very laid back and comfy and spotlessly clean we had room no.3 which had a balcony overlooking the sea and the comfiest bed we have ever slept in we would def stay here again

Room Tip: We had room 3 which had fab view and balcony