The P&M Paignton Residence
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbreakfast in bedb bprivate saunadouble showerbreakfast was excellentceiling fanfresh fruit saladbiscuitsnice showernext morningshort stayfantastic roomfour postera fantastic place to staylovely touchhigh standardhigh street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 August 2013

No, it doesn't make a whirring noise, and there's no doctor (though Piers would make an interesting one -and if he's got a PhD I wouldn't be surprised) but it's much bigger on the inside than it looks. Oddly enough, on this occasion I didn't read the reviews before booking, because I was having such trouble finding somewhere to stay in Torbay I booked this one on sight. I did read what was said about it on its website, so unlike some people I was aware of the parking problem, the noisy seagulls, the time of breakfast and also that there was no bar on the premises (hardly a problem given the plethora of drinking establishments in the area). We (self, husband and adult son) were lucky enough to get a park right across the road, and Piers offered to help carry our luggage in, but we were travelling light anyway. The rooms are lovely, very modern and chic - no chenille bedspreads or teddies on the beds - the bathrooms sparkling (very good products provided and super towels), and the breakfast very good (fruit, juices, good selection of cereal and almost anything you want to have cooked). I would agree with one other reviewer that low fat milk would have been my choice, but that's a small thing. Marmite would have been nice, but I know I'm in a minority there! For those few people who read the reviews and are concerned about the comments about Piers, I would say that he is an original. He's funny and friendly and runs a very tight ship, which is why it's such a pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor which would be an issue if you have mobility problems.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank seawife
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and were pleasantly surprised.
Spotlessly clean.
The rooms were light and airy and had everything you needed from hot drinks to toiletries.
Great breakfast in the morning.
Piers was very helpful and charming.
Reasonable rates.
Close to seafront and shops.
Only downside was the parking as there were only 2 spaces outside but you could pay £5.00 and stay in the pub car park opposite.
Would definitely recommend and would stay again.
Would definitely book again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Campervan007
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Firstly I would like to thank Piers. Upon arriving he was outside and helping with our luggage and even offered to make us 2 cups of tea.

The accommodation is immaculately clean and the furniture inside the rooms is not cheap. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms dressed to a high standard. We stayed in Room 8.

They provide a comprehensive breakfast menu suitable to suit all tastes. The full English is amazing and even the omelette provided (veg option) was cooked to order, hot and freshly cooked.

After our stay I left something behind but even that wasn't a problem as Piers swiftly posted the item back.

Great place looking to return in August.

Jan & Dave

Room Tip: First trip so we stayed in Room 8, but the whole hotel is impeccably clean.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dean B
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Stayed in the P & M in July for a night and the place is spotless. Host was very helpful and had a lovely breakfast in the morning. The only down fall is the parking as there are only 3 spaces outside. The Spinning Wheel pub opposite has parking for 24 hours which is £5 so reasonable but you have to move your car before 8am the next morning. This didn't bother us because we were leaving the next morning early so didn't have to think about trying to find another parking space.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Japanese room which was at the back of the house so had no noise from people walking past on the street when leaving the pub.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bev282
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We arrived at P & M Residence after a 5 hour drive. As we had never been to Paignton before, we were unaware of the difficulties with parking. There were only 2 spaces available at the B & B, and both were occupied. We knocked on the door to ask where we could park and the door was opened by a man that I later found out was the manager. I asked if there was anywhere to park and he shrugged his shoulders and said no! Then he pointed over the road to a pub and suggested we try there. There was a make shift notice saying £5 per day and when I asked the manager if this was for 24 hours, again he shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know and that I should ask them. This may not sound unreasonable, but as the manager of a B & B (4* and one of the higher priced in the area), I would have expected him to, at the very least, know about the cost in the pub, if not have made arrangements with the pub for his guests parking. I have stayed in many B & B's and hotels over the years and never have I been made to feel as uncomfortable as this man made me feel. The final straw was there was a musty smell coming from the house. Despite losing £98.00 which he insisted on taking from our credit card, we decided that we could not stay. I would also like to say that we drove to Dartmouth and found a B & B there with the same limited parking. However, the owner was very helpful and informative helping us sort out our parking for the weekend. That was all we wanted!!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple