“Fantastic Hotel”

and 1 more site!
Garfield Lodge
Ranked #69 of 96 Paignton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Cannot praise Garfield Lodge enough. The owners are very friendly and very helpful. I stayed in the Yellow room. The room was lovely, very airy and light and the en-suite was just right with a great power shower. The breakfast was great and the place is spotless. I highly recommend Garfield Lodge and I will definitely be booking again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Vikky F

Reviewed 30 August 2012

On arriving at Garfield Lodge I had immediate concerns, about the proprietor who appeared dishevelled & a musty smell of stale tobacco &/or alcohol. I was shown to my room (the yellow room) which had about a dozen flies flying about. It was fairly obvious to me that this would be an issue but the proprietor said nothing. I subsequently went & asked for a can of flyspray to sort the problem. The room also had the same stale smell & the window was open for the whole of the stay.
Had it not been for the fact that I was only there for one night & it was my first time in Paignton & the other Guest Houses close by showed No Vacancies I would have booked out immediately.
The bed was not too pleasant with a musty & cigarette smell. I even tried not to sleep under the duvet, however in the morning I had still been bitten in two places.
I was the first down to breakfast (which had to be ordered the day before & select a time to eat) & although the proprietors brought me a cup of coffee they were in the middle of a verbally agressive argument which left me feeling quite intimidated. Breakfast wasn't brilliant with cold toast, poached eggs which left the plate swimming in water & dry bacon.
I left as soon as I possibly could & will not be returning. Before you ask..... why didn't I raise this at checkout with the proprietor......... well I saw & heard their argument..........

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Dawn D
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We had a wonderful stay at Garfield Lodge. The owners were so friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was excellent even for my husband who is a fussy eater! We will definately be returning when the children are staying with grandparents again. If there was anything out of place (which there wasn't) it would have been dealt with immediately. A lovely break for the both of us.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janlyne
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Didnt book till late so had little choice so wasnt expecting much,Met at the door by inge and her husband michael a german couple who both seemed friendly.Stayed in the yellow room,decor wasnt really to our liking but very clean and a nice modern bathroom.The B&B is situated in a quiet street and the car park is a couple of minutes away to which you are very kindly given a permit for.Breakfast was really good and just enough to set you up for the day.Was only stopping 2 nights but didnt want to go home so stayed an extra night.All in all a nice clean place ran by a nice couple who couldnt do enough for you.Many thanks for a great stay looked forward to visiting again soon.Kev&Jo Elkin

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Garfield lodge is close to the railway and bus station, and also ideally situated for the beach. Serice was good and my room was spotlessly clean. The poached eggs I had for breakfast were cooked to perfection.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Not very superior room, 2 singles 'hitched' together to make big double..but no bedding to cover it. 2 single very thin duvets were all we had..room was big. but, appliances, mirrors and plugs are not within reach of each other, mirror nowhere near a plug to enable to use hairdryer.Same with kettle. bathroom was very small..but clean and had everything. darker curtains would've been nice, to prevent an early wake up. breakfast was nice to be fair..just when we asked for mushrooms..more than 1 wouldve been nice. but the toast was forever coming as was the tea/coffee. smelt of smoke everywhere even our clothes in our case did when we returned home. yet it was non smoking house..

Room Tip: bring pyjamas, cos no bedding.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank randyit
garfieldlodge, Owner at Garfield Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

It's usual around the world, even in big hotels, to use two joined beds with two duvets. In the booking system you had used, we provide photos of the rooms and you can see also the two beds and two duvets. We can't understand that you booked in, if this is a problem for you.
Our house is central heated, so turning on the radiator is the first help. Otherwise we offer additional blankets or heaters, but this is normaly only necessary during the winter for the frozen ones.
But we can only help, if we know about a problem!

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Right at the arrival we were welcomed by Inge and Michael who turned our weekend break into a great holiday experience! We were staying in spotless Room Purple. A really nice furnished room with all extras: coffee and tea facilities, toiletries, WiFi and even a iPod Dockingstation. The breakfast was excellent. On the buffet you can choose your yogurts, fruit, teas, jams or cereals and Michael brings you a big plate with the rest. The accommodation is perfectly situated, close to the pier and the town center - as well as to the train station.
We had a really great stay and are looking forward to stay at Garfield Lodge again!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends