“Gee vee holiday”
Review of Hotel Bonair

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paignton
Hotel Bonair
Ranked #38 of 96 Paignton B&B and Inns
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Gee vee holiday”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Just back from a weeks holiday at the Bonair travelling with Gee-vee. Had a very good time in spite of the weather being a bit iffy. The hotel was very clean and well managed and the meals were good value for money. Staff were friendly and helpful. We had entertainment most nights. The hotel is very central, being almost opposite the pier. Would certainly recommend the Bonair to friends and would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms at front of hotel are best.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 4cherryl

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Well just returned from another week at this great family run hotel..
My coach company can't fail with this place. Great home cooking friendly staff and very clean,
Brill location on the flat a short stroll from all the fun in Paignton.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Tony C
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here the weekend of June 30th, 2012

We had a 2nd floor double room (39) with a good sea-view.

The room was of moderate size, well fitted out, and was very clean and tidy

Couple of very minor grumbles to get out of the way:
1. The lift is very small (no more than 2 persons in comfort, 3 if you’re very good friends!) and is incredibly slow, but at least it’s a lift.
2. There was no suitcase stand in the room, but in fairness, when I mentioned this to the manageress an extra chair was immediately provided to put our case on.

Location not quite central, but walk into town centre isn't all that far.

The food is good although the evening meal time is perhaps a bit restrictive (6/00 to 6/30)

Good entertainment (a man & woman, music & magic, etc.), on the Sunday night, although this may have been because there was a coach-party staying.

Staff very pleasant and helpful.

We’d be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: 1st floor front bedrooms have a balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PPSGW
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I too am bewildered by the comments made by one reviewer. We have just returned from this hotel following a 6 night stay during the hottest week of the year.
We have ALWAYS found both the management and other members of staff extremely helpful,friendly and courteous.
The unfortunate incident which happened to 'janeteb' however sad, is unfortunately a sign of our times. These incidents are very frightening and unsettling but a hotel can only do their best to limit these incidents. I do know that extra cc tv was installed earlier this year because we were their at the time. Apart from mounting an armed guard at the entrance I do not believe we can ever eliminate ALL risk. This serves as a warning to us all NOT to take large amounts of cash or valuable jewellery on holiday with us.
We found the food to be simple and plain but a good choice and a very varied menu throughout the week.
There is entertainment on at least 4 times weekly and does appeal to older people. Although our 22 year old grandson had a whale of a time with us and was very popular with all the 'young' ladies who were staying at the same time as us.
We believe this hotel to be excellent value for money and we hope to continue to stay several times a year.

Room Tip: Sea view to die for from front rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank gillian s
Holywell,Flintshire
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I also travelled on Voel Coaches trip from N. Wales on 14-16th April 2012, and yet I do not know Bob D. I too was bemused and quite surprised by the adverse report mentioning the thefts and attitude of the management. The only problem I had was that I was promised Wi-Fi access by the owner's daughter on arrival but she was not seen by me later on, and other members of staff did not assist with this. I did not allow this to spoil my stay, however. The food was excellent and so was the waitress service. As for the 2 nights' entertainment, the first one was very good, the second was poor. Overall, I was very happy with my stay and I would happily return.

Room Tip: My single room was on the first floor, facing the seafront and Paignton Green. It was very narrow bu...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank KevtheExplorer
ACCRINGTON
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I am really puzled by the report of the 5th May - it hardly seems the same hotel. Ii travelled independently to the hotel by car with my brother and we were greeted by the propreieter with a cup of tea and friendly chat before showing us to our rooms - my brother had a single on the front overlooking the sea and mine was a double at the back.The single room shower was on the small size but perfectly adequate. the double room was lovely.Both rooms had very comfortable beds with lovely white sheets and blankets ( not duvets) towels were fresh soft and white also. The position of the hotel is very good as it overlooks the green and the sea and is at the quieter end of Paignton ( the no50 bus for Cockington stops almost outside the door and returns there which we made good use of)
Yes food is relatively simple but there was a choice of 3 starters , 4 mains and 3 sweets every evening and a good choice of breakfast with loads of extra toast and coffee/tea Vegetarians are catered for and we loved some of the accompanying sauces and the variety of potato dishes provided by the chef. His pastry was lovely and the steak and ale pie especially delicious. The pancakes with fruit also deserve a mention as does his lamb with rosemary infused gravy.
This hotel has a very welcoming and comfortable atmosphere and gives very good value for money. We will certainly stay there again as the food provided suited our needs and we found it a very comfortable place to stay.
We all had keys to our rooms and the entrance door could only be opened from the inside without a key. Most hotels in my experience have yale locks on doors other than the higher priced hotels who have moved to cards. There is a safe in the office and visitors are advised to leave valuables in the safe which is what we did

Room Tip: For an extra £2 a day you can have a front room with a balcony - this is well worth the extra in my...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank IMELDA B
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I have just returned from a 5 day break at the Hotel Bonair Paignton along with about 40 senior holiday makers and wish to warn anyone thinking of going to be aware that there is absolutely no security in the building which led to us suffering two evenings of being robbed. Money and jewels were taken from our rooms on both the Tuesday and the Wednesday evenings when most of us were either at dinner or out for the evening. We had all locked our doors but as they were only yale locks these were useless - and it seems the robber had a key!! The Hotel front door was permanently open and no one ever on reception; we had to ring a hand bell for a staff member and then wait. I was robbed on the Tuesday but as the management did not take me seriously -I had to phone the police as they refused- the robber returned for further pickings the next night. Elderly and vulnerable people were left shocked and distressed but the managers didn't even have the courtesy to speak to me or offer any care or apology. If they had acted on my first report and looked at their cctv camera then we would have all been aware and alert to this robber returning and people would not have lost their holiday pocket money or their most treasured rings, lockets,watch etc. I will never return to this Hotel and suggest you think carefully before you do. As we were leaving we discovered that exactly the same had happened last year and nothing has been done to protect their guests. It is a low grade hotel with a chef capable of only very basic food preparation so that, along with the uncaring management, I would suggest that an inspection is urgently required before more vulnerable people sufer as we did.

Room Tip: Ask about security,check the bathroom. some are no larger than a broom cupboard.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank janeteb47
hotelbonair, Manager at Hotel Bonair, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
We are very sorry that this incident occurred at the hotel. I am afraid that we were not the only hotel targeted that week and the police do not know how the suspect got into the rooms. My family have run this hotel for 28yrs and this is only the 2nd time this has happened. We did take action after the first incident by having CCTV installed in the hotel. When money was reported missing there was no evidence to suggest a break-in, and as we did not know for sure how or where this money had been lost, the person concerned was advised to phone the police. When we realised there was a problem we immediately phoned police ourselves and trawled through the CCTV. From this film we identified a person who we believe is the suspect, and we have passed this information onto the police. This person actually walked into the hotel, and was chatting with, a group of guests staying here, so as not to arouse suspicion. The hotel does have a safe for guest use, which is clearly stated in the information book in the bedrooms,and many guests use this facility. We do feel greatly for the people that were affected, and we were very shocked and upset oursleves, as this is our home aswell as our business. We always do our very best to ensure that our guests have a lovely holiday here, with good home cooking and friendly staff, which I think is proven by our healthy repeat bookings over the years.