“A great evening all round....”

The Palm Tree Turkish Restaurant
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We very much enjoyed a family meal with 8 of us choosing from the evening bistro menu. The food comprised excellent ingredients, beautifully cooked and presented. The service was efficient without being obtrusive. A great evening all round - use this place Paignton!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Arrived around 12 for lunch. Chose the window seating area, which had dirty dishes on it. The rather busy waitor had to be prompted several times to clean the table. Several items were unavailable and my daughters choice of dry white wine had run out. The service was extremely slow to say the least. The carbonara was a very small portion and tasted very average. My husband had only one piece of meat in it - it was lukewarm. My jacket patato was fine, the salad dressing was delicious. The chiller cabinet for desserts had broken, so dessert menu was restricted. We finally left around 2 o'clock - perhaps this reflects the speed of service for you! Felt the service was very very slow and overall felt the lunch was overpriced.

2  Thank H d
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had heard great feedback about this cafe but when we went at the end of October I was disgusted by the service and manners of the staff including the young man that waiters in there. The food arrived and for the price that you pay is over the top for the small portions you get served, on of my family also went to the toilet and came back saying it was very thilthy with urine around the toilet and on the floor as well as phesies in the toilet and mould growing the walls. Over all my visit was poor and would not recommend this place the prices are over priced and the staff are more snobby than This Morning's Katy Hopkins

3  Thank visitor9847
Gary P, Owner at The Palm Tree Turkish Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for your review. The Palm Tree won the 2013 South Devon Tourism & Hospitality award for cafe of the year because of our commitment to high standards of customer service, cleanliness, food quality, use of local produce and value for money. We are therefore very disappointed that in your view we failed in every respect. We reply to each of the matters you have raised as follows.

The waiter you have singled out for criticism has been with our business since its inception and fully supports and practices the high level of customer service we strive to maintain. We receive regular comments from other customers about his courteous and professional manner. Furthermore he has received independent commendations for his customer service. For this waiter to have provided the level of service you allege to have received would be out of character for him, as it would be for the rest of our front of house team. However, following your review we have taken the opportunity to reinforce to the team the importance of ensuring that all of our customers receive the highest standard of service.

We have never been accused of providing small portions. In fact we have on occasion received comments from customers to the contrary. That said, if you had concerns about your meal had you brought them to our attention at the time we would have tried our best to address them for you. It is our genuine aim that all of our customers enjoy their visit to The Palm Tree and our preference is to be given the opportunity to address any issues that may detract from this if and when they occur.

Although you acknowledge that you did not witness it first-hand, you state that the cleanliness of our toilet facilities was below par. Our facilities were fully refurbished 18 months ago and are inspected and cleaned at regular intervals throughout the day. We are fully aware of how important it is to our customers to have facilities that are clean and comfortable to use. As you would expect we are reliant to some extent on the personal hygiene standards of those who use our facilities but we have not in the past found this to be a particular problem. Our experience is that our customers do generally respect the facilities and the comfort of others. We shall continue to apply our cleaning and maintenance regime to ensure our high standards are maintained but we shall consider if there are any improvements we can make to expedite dealing with any mishaps that may inadvertently occur.

Whilst you did not use the facilities yourself you state that there was mound on the walls. When our facilities were refurbished 18 month ago they were tiled from floor to ceiling. This and our regular cleaning regime ensure our facilities are mould free. You were incorrectly advised in this regard.

You state that our staff are snobby. This is an unnecessary prejudicial and personal slur on our team who are in fact all hard working, down to earth and decent local people trying their best to provide a top quality product for all of our customers. We have therefore taken no action in relation to this comment other than to refer it to Trip Advisor.

We cannot understand why your experience of our establishment was so far removed in every respect from the high standards we strive to deliver for each and every customer and which have been recognised and rewarded by several independent tourism, hospitality and environmental organisations within the past twelve months. To the extent that your review honestly reflects a genuine visit to The Palm Tree we wholeheartedly apologise. We only wish that you had mentioned any of these things during your visit so we could have sought to address them to your satisfaction at that time.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I had heard good things so thought would be nice to try. We arrived & no one came over or offered a menu so we went up to the counter to try & get someones attention. Once we was ready to order still no staff so went up to counter to be told they would come over. Only one other customer in the cafe at that point, so
seemed a bit slow.My husband ordered a breakfast & I was told the scones had just gone into the oven so said I didn't mind waiting the 15 minutes that i was they would take.My husbands cooked breakfast arrived which he enjoyed & I still waited for my scones after he was finished. I waited some more then I was then told that the scones would be longer by an abrupt female server, another 20 minutes. I said i was disappointed & if I new they would take over 40 minutes I would of chosen differently & eaten the same time as my husband. Being heavily pregnant I really needed to eat by then & felt fed up with the bad service so I left hungry. The waitress was really grumpy when I tried to explain that if they had told me the issues I would of ordered something else, she couldn't care less & just said we make them here. I can only assume their over is slow as it takes nearly an hour to cook a scone. Will not be visiting again, we went home & made scones from scratch (pregnancy craving!) was also quicker than the Palm Tree!

1  Thank LadyTorbay
Gary P, Owner at The Palm Tree Turkish Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for your review, albeit not pleasant reading for us. Firstly we apologise for the poor service you received and the inconvenience you obviously suffered. We strive to provide a first class experience for all of our customers, but in your instance we fell very short of that. I have investigated the circumstances of your visit with my team and it is clear that we made a catalogue of errors from start to finish. Lessons have been learned by myself and the team as a result.

We understand why your intention is not to visit us again, but we would like the opportunity to make good on our previous shortcomings and demonstrate to you the high standards of customer service we strive for and in most cases achieve. We therefore ask that you reconsider and would appreciate it if you could either drop us an email or contact Julie directly at The Palm Tree so we can put a proposal directly to you.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Treated by my daughter to a full English for my birthday last week. The Palm Tree has a very good reputation locally, so was really looking forward to my first visit. Staff were very welcoming and the internal decor pleasant, with an unhurried atmosphere.

In terms of quality, this was the finest breakfast I have eaten locally - the sausages and black pudding were exceptional. However, although not particularly busy it still took half an hour for our food to reach to the table, which if you have paid for outside street parking might leave you having to leave your table or hurry your food. Luckily,we'd parked elsewhere and weren't in any particular rush, so it was an enjoyable visit.