“lovely food, excellent service, highly recommended”
Review of Anastasia's Russian Tea Room - CLOSED

Anastasia's Russian Tea Room
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: European, Russian, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Anastasia's Russian Tea Room is located in the centre of Paignton on the English Riviera. With the historic ties between Russia and Torbay becoming evident and the ongoing growth in the relationship, the Tea Rooms offer a superb introduction to Russian cuisine and life. With a warm decor and very friendly staff you will enjoy the extensive selection of food and drink available. The collection of Russian matryoshka, samovar and other handmade goods adds to the ambiance.
Reviewed 17 November 2012

My friend and I were having a shopping day out without the husbands and I had read the reviews on here and we decided to give it as try , we are very glad we did , the young lady who served us was lovely and couldn't do enough food us, the owner was great and told us some stories about being in Russia , very different to England! We decided to go for the Russian food , I had their most gorgeous pasta dumplings and sour cream while my friend went for the Beef stroganoff which she said was lovely, we were persuaded to try the honey cake , it was too die for :) very highly recommended will be going back soon.

Reviewed 9 November 2012 via mobile

When this little tea room changed into a Russian one my fiancée wanted to go there, I went with her and her sister and they had the Russian cuisine and so did I, can't flat it at all, we go to Russia once a year and the food was on par to what we have out there, the borch ( excuse the spelling) or soup/broth was excellent, the pirishki (excuse my spelling agian) was amazing, and the what I call dumpling forgot the nameof them were good aswell, owners were friendly and fiancée and her sister were talking to them in Russian, the other gentleman working was polite and professional, we are always going here when time allows and I hope they stay and do well

Reviewed 3 November 2012

If you haven't visited Anastasia's tea room then you are missing a treat. Firstly the name "tea room" is misleading, although it has to be said they probably do have the widest selection of teas in the area. If you are looking for a cream tea, or lunch then this is the place for you, proper tea (no tea bags here), and home made cakes and scones.

However this isn't the only thing that the Russian Tea Room has to offer, they have a rather extensive menu of traditional Russian cuisine cooked by and prepared by people who have actually lived and worked in the country. The result is an amazing combination of beautifully prepared and cooked locally sourced produce with a Russin Twist...

It's the sort of place that you might normally stumble over in covent garden, and then only tell your select friends because you wouldn't want it to become too well known... it could easily become that place that you know.... and a place to take your friends..... but please don't tell everyone, because i can see it becoming a place to pre-book in no time at all...

I'm a very fussy person, and i give this lovely little restaurant cafe a ten out of ten - I will have to return a few more times, as there are number things on their menu that I want to try...

The service is lovely, however they do cook the food from scratch so don't expect Macdonalds speed, I just sat back and enjoyed the tranquility, and ambience of the place... the food is well worth the wait.... thanks for a lovely lunch exceptional... A 1 ... shhhhh don't tell everyone !

1  Thank De465
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We were looking for somewhere to eat whilst spending a day in Paignton. There are many cafes but there didn't seem to be a lot of choice but fortunately we found Anastasia's.

Neither of us have eaten Russian food before and love to try new things so in we went. The dining room is cosy with tables made from vintage sewing machine tables.

Most things on the menu sounded interesting, it was very hard to choose. I had borsch to start. This was a very tasty soup which came with sour cream and rye bread. I followed this up with pelmeni, little dumplings filled with meat, also served with sour cream. These were very good.

I thought the portion sizes were just right although if you like big plate loads of food you might think them a little on the small side.

The honey cake sounded lovely so we shared a piece for dessert. It was good, moist and rich. We had tea to drink, served in a china pot with a tea strainer, something you don't see often.

The food was tasty and reasonably priced. It was nice to eat home made food when many places seem merely to reheat "bought in" dishes.

I wish we lived nearer as I would like to eat here again. We'll certainly revisit when we're in the area.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Its not usual these days to get excellent food and service, this was much better than any london russian restaurant. at a third of the price. good character place. clean and fresh food cooked to order. NOTHING was too much trouble "What a differance". well done to the staff.