“Lovely takeaway, few recommendations”

Ganges Indian Tandoori Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 182 Restaurants in Paignton
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Lovely takeaway, few recommendations”
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely takeaway from here. For £6,95 you get onion bhajis, salad, ryita dip, main, rice and Bombay potatoes. However... The mains are very very selective! To have anything other than a korma, madras and one other dish, you have to pay £1. To change your rice for a nan you have to pay £1, to change your side for another side you have to pay £1. Saying that, it is very good value for money, we order 4 meals between 5 of us and it was plenty. I don't understand why you can't swap something when it's the same price on the menu, or why you can't just pay the difference instead of £1. The food was lovely, really enjoyable. Good value for money. Would go back again.

• Visited August 2013

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Served Chicken as Lamb, BOOH!”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Another restaurant that treats you like an idiot. (The other one is in Newton Abbott BTW!)

Not much to say but I cook indian food myself and whilst the food here is fine and the atmo acceptable, (service good). When I last went there I ordered a lamb dish only to be served chicken. I was the only customer. Well if they think I'm stupid...........................

Please forget Indian Restaurants they have had there day, Thai is best, No question!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank John B
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Disapointing”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The table was booked for 8.30 and on arrival the table was not laid not a problem as they were busy. We then waited 15/20 minutes for the waiter to come back to see if we wanted to order drinks. We requested the table be laid this was done but then had another 15 minute wait for the drinks to arrive when they did the wine was wrong and the beer was flat. We eventually ordered and the food was very average. There were no dish warmers the food which was only warm and the plates cold. The explanation was that they had a table for 12 booked. However if you know you have a table of 12 booked and it is a bank holiday Saturday you would employ more than one waiter for the night. Perhaps on a weekday service and food is better but would definitely not recommend.

• Visited May 2013
“Top Quality, Reasonable Price.”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My wife and I have been visiting the Ganges for many years while holidaying in Torbay , although we had a bad experience there a while ago with a rowdy bunch of Saturday night rugby fans which led us to go elsewhere at weekends. We decided to return on a Tuesday evening and enjoyed a superb meal in peaceful, high-quality, surroundings. My wife enjoyed a nicely-prepared tandoori mixed grill while I went for the meat (lamb) vindaloo, which had a delicious, fiery, thick and tasty sauce; just as it should be. The portions were generous. Apart from the tasty food and friendly service, details that give the Ganges a high rating in our book include partitioned seating bays, food warmers, warm poppadoms and spotless table-cloths. This is traditional Indian restaurant dining at its best. I'd like to go on but the memory is making me salivate and I don't want to ruin the computer!

• Visited May 2013
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“One of the nicest Indian meals I've had!”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We visited this restaurant on a three-day break to Paignton. The service was very friendly. The food was lovely - the chicken Korma I had was the best I've had. The two of us had a main, rice, and side each and it came to less than £30. Fantastic value for money. Would definitely visit again if we were in the area.

• Visited April 2013