“Coasteering family day out”
Review of Reach Outdoors

Reach Outdoors
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Paignton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Reach Outdoors provides outstanding Adventure for all. No previous experience is necessary as our highly experienced and qualified instructors will safely manage your session ensuring you learn skills and most importantly have great fun along the way! Reach Outdoors have won the certificate of Excellence in every year of operation since its inception in 2012. We have won the Gold award for the best activity or sporting experience in the Devon tourism awards in both 2014 and 2016.
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just got back from our family holiday in Devon. Definitely the highlight of the week was a coasteering trip with Rachel from Reach Outdoors in Anstey Cove. Our group of 5 included myself and my wife as well as our three kids 18, 13 and 8 years old. Finding exhilarating activities we can all enjoy can be a challenge, but this was just perfect.
We started with some rock scrambling, climbing on the rocks and gradually building up to many, many jumps into the sea, of which the biggest was about 12-14metres I'd guess. Our 8 year old daughter is a bit of an adrenalin junkie and loved the jumps. As parents, my wife and I were totally assured that this activity was all done in a totally safe manner and the equipment was of great quality and clean.
Value for money was excellent and the day left us with many treasured memories, particularly with Rachel taking pictures of us as we had our fun.
Cheers Reach Outdoors!

"mixed ages"
in 5 reviews
"an amazing experience"

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I booked on-line for a half day sea kayaking trip with my 14 yr old son Freddy. We chose a great day, weather-wise. Slightly overcast so not too hot and a flat calm sea. We arrived slightly early for our morning's kayaking and were met by Rachel, who right from the start made us feel welcome and relaxed about the morning ahead. We were part of a group of 6 , with the others being a family of 4. Rachel quickly established our skill levels and gave us some safety instructions. We then went off to the beach for a brief but sufficient session on how to paddle and control the kayak. We were in two-man kayaks and equipped with life jacket and helmet and off we went. Freddy an I have done a little kayaking before so we fairly confident and able to get going quickly. The others in the party hadn't kayaked before but were soon up to speed. We paddled from Goodrington almost all the way to Brixham stopping just short at Churston having had a short stop at Elberry Cove earlier. En route we were well shepherded by Rachel an Jo and even had a few games and challenges on the paddle back. Apparently we were a fairly good group and made good progress. I have to admit to being quite tired and sore of arm after the three hour trip, as was Fred! It was a well organised and fun excursion and I would highly recommend it to anyone who fancies a crack at sea kayaking. You do need to to be confident in the sea (because it is very likely you may spend a bit of time in it!) and reasonably fit

1  Thank Stew C
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We booked a 3 hour sea kayak trip with Reach Outdoors having read great reviews about Rachel and were not disappointed! We were complete novices and I would highly recommend this for teens - our two really enjoyed it and were exhausted by the end (a bonus!). After some basic tuition and practise, we travelled along the coast and visited some lovely coves. You can sometimes spot seals and dolphins apparently, though we didn't. The pace was just right, Rachel and Jo were very patient and friendly, and made sure we were having fun and staying safe. Aching limbs the next day (2 hours would have probably sufficed) but do give it a try!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Did Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award with these guys doing Sea Kayaking, which includes training, a practice expedition and another qualifying expedition. The lessons we were taught were top notch, and the equipment we used was all brand new or in fantastic condition. The instructors and assessors were obviously very knowledgable about the subject and the technique, and they made a gruelling series of long days far more manageable than it may have been otherwise. Would fully recommend Reach Outdoors for an expedition like this or a shorter event, based on my experiences.

Adam

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Team bonding required.... after many different suggestions, coasteering was an experience most of us had never done. Very informative website and very quick and easy booking a date and taking of payment. Email included easy directions for parking facilities (free), and on our arrival we were met by Rachel from the Reach Outdoors Team. The equipment available was to accommodate all of our sizes. After a briefing and signing our lives away we made our way down to the shore line for the fun to really begin. Once acclimatised to the water we set off over the rocks, and from there on there was a mixture of various climbs, swims and the mastering of different styles of water entry. Rachel our guide was very enthusiastic and was able to coax even the most timid of our group to push themselves outside of their comfort zone, and gave them the confidence to give it a go. I for one experienced a great feeling off achievement when I jumped from the Tombstone rock, a height of approximately 6m. Really enjoyed entering the caves and again Rachel was really informative of the local wildlife and conservation of the area we were in. Time flew by and a little relaxing float in the sea to catch our breath at the end of the session and marvel at what we had just achieved. Overall an awesome experience which I will most definitely do again with more members of my family. I would definitely recommend Reach Outdoors as a company promoting coasteering and due to the competence of the guides, will be looking to try out their kayaking sessions later this summer. The whole team were buzzing afterwards. Jo