“Not great”

The Italian Job
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Is a relaxed italian & mediterranean restaurant. The restaurant appeal lies not only in its seasonal country cooking, but also in its natural warmth and effortless italian charm. FAVOURITES Include breakfast all day bruschetta, pizza, pasta. Italian full menu.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

After seeing the reviews I decided to visit as I love Italian food !! On entering most of the staff were outside at the front of the restaurant smoking... And we had to squeeze past to get in... The food we ordered was ok, laced with garlic which was to stronge and the wine was terrible.
I have driven past many times and the staff are always out the front smoking, which I for one don't like to see and is a total put off to visit again!! Such a shame as it's in a good spot and has potential to be much better

Emanuele F, Proprietario at The Italian Job, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review my restaurant. I am sorry as you seem to have taken offence that at the time you arrived there were staff members smoking outside the restaurant. Unfortunately there is no other outside space for them to smoke and this is unfortunate but beyond my control. From your comments it would seem that you did not enjoy the food but this was not mentioned on your visit. I take customer satisfaction very seriously and encourage my staff to ask customers if they have enjoyed the food. It is very sad that you didn't feel able to voice your dissatisfaction at the time of your visit.

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We visited this restaurant based on some reviews I read on this website. I don't normally write a review to moan (please see my other reviews) but this time I feel driven to it!

The lack of the wines on their menu should have been a warning. I am not a wine snob but the recommendation that Chardonnay tastes like Trebbiano was interesting to say the least. Eventually a bottle of Pinot Grigio was sourced!

The starter was laced with garlic, I was expecting some but not that I wouldn't taste the mushrooms because of it. The bruschetta was also swimming in grease. The dressing of salad cream in a restaurant also confused us!

The pizza also came laced in garlic and how it could be both burnt and soggy at the same time was truly impressive!!

On coming to leave the waitress never once asked us if any of our food was ok (which tells a tale) and we were then informed there was a card charge - this would have been useful information at the start!

All in all we left feeling very disappointed and safe from vampires for the foreseeable future!

1  Thank Michelle B

Thank you for taking the time to review my restaurant. Customer satisfaction is very important to me and I am sorry that you were dissatisfied following your recent visit. I was surprised to read that you didn't enjoy the garlic mushroom bruschetta as it is one of the most popular starters that I serve and there has been lots of positive comments on Tripadvisor from customers that have eaten it. As for the restricted wine list, as I allow guests to bring their own alcohol, it is not economically viable for me to stock a wide variety of wines.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Brilliant food and an authentic experience of Italy, can't wait to be going again. Would recommend to anyone who is interested in Italian food.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Food is amazing the best place to eat in Paignton chef and owner is the nicest person ever and you are made to feel like your part of his family

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Food lovely waited over an hour. Service poor though we're trying hard to please,no picks for olives or olive plates expected to use fingers. Could bring own wine say 1.50 corkage. Good. .asked eventually to have our candle lit. No idea where orders were for each table. Staff need to become waitresses. food good just need to get it all together.for chef to come out in front of restaurant to light up in front of everyone!!!Hmmm won't go back