“Could be much better”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Our party of 12 visited this restaurant last night (4th May 2014) and we were really expecting good things. From the start things did not go well in as much as we were not greeted warmly and it felt like we were not welcome. Once we were seated the staff seemed more interested in dealing with the other clients which I would imagine were local regulars. The menu was very limited and when I asked for a phal I was told that it was not possible and that I would have to choose from the menu. Poppadoms were slow to arrive and there was not enough of the condiments to go around the table least of all suffice for the meal as some of us had ordered bhajis too. When the main courses arrived served in copper pots it was a nice surprise and very unique. Two of our party were kept waiting for rice which the restaurant apologised for. One of our party found a long hair in his food and the meal had to be replaced or at least thats what they said but Im not sure that the offending article wasnt just taken out and the same curry delivered back to the table. That said the food that was supplied was ok but not spectacular.

I think I speak for our party in saying that none of us would use this place again. I hope the management read this review and learn from their mistakes...for us it is far too late.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Service extremely hap hazard, forgot what we had ordered, forgot our drinks, had to ask three times! When food arrived it was fine, apart from mine which had a long black hair in it, put me off totally.

6  Thank Birty22
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Myself and a friend visited on a Thursday evening for a laid back meal out and chose east in the west based on feedback from friends.

We were both so impressed right from the welcome we received, the staff were so friendly and attentive whilst also leaving us to chat and enjoy our meal without interruptions.

I ordered chicken shashlik and coconut rice, both were amazing. The chicken was incredibly tasty and moist with a delicious garnish, the sauces they serve it with are the tastiest thing I think I've ever had in an Indian restaurant! I also urge you to try the coconut rice if visiting as it's so much better than just plain rice.

The decor and atmosphere really set this off as one of the nicest restaurants in Torbay in my opinion, and if you like Indian food you should definitely pay East in the West a visit. To top it all off, it was incredibly reasonable, under £20 each with starter and sides.

I will definitely be returning and recommending this restaurant to all my friends and family!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Definitely one of the best meals I've gad at an Indian restaurant, and I grew up in Bradford so have sampled lots of curries! The restaurant itself has been refurbished to a good standard; classy not gaudy. The staff were attentive, friendly and helpful. The food arrived on time, hot, and well presented. The tikka masala came in what looked like a mini coal bucket! Kept it warm and allowed more space on the table. The food was very tasty, even the garnish was delicious, and the portions just right. We were also pleasantly surprised when we got the bill too. So all in all, can't really fault it! Great meal, thanks guys :)

1  Thank Alexis E
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This fab restaurant was booked by my sister who had dined twice before and loved it! The decor is very modern and the atmosphere is great. The service was friendly and attentive and the food was gorgeous! The menu was very different from any Indian restaurant I have dined in, I did not recognise many dishes. Both my sister and I loved our meals. I will definitely be returning soon!