“Nice atmosphere”

Ranked #15 of 191 Restaurants in Paignton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Today was my second visit to the Victorian Times Tea and Coffee shop. They call it a shop but as far as I can tell they don't sell loose tea or ground coffee but perhaps I'm wrong! I would have called it a parlour not a shop. On my first visit a few weeks ago I tried the full English which was nicely cooked but, compared to the wide range of similar breakfasts available in the immediate area was a little expensive. Today I had the jacket potato with Tuna.
Sadly I forgot to take a pic when it first arrived, the pic I took was after I cut it into quarters. I have to say that it was tiny - the size of a large orange - and whilst the mini salad (containing peppers which I cant eat) was immediately and willingly replaced with a small dish of onions and tomatoes for the money it was just not good value I'm afraid. My local cafe in Torquay serves jacket potatoes at easily twice the size. This size of potato may be fine for the little old ladies that seems to gather here but for a growing lad like me serve me two!! Of particular note though was the wide range of teas they can serve you plus the nifty little "egg timer" that tells you low long the tea has been brewing - a clever idea! See photo. The South African staff deserve special mention. Very nice and I was offered a top up of hot water in my tea pot if I needed it. Upon leaving the waiter (or owner, who knows) dashed forward and opened the door for me, a nice polite touch. They do a yummy looking range of cakes which are probably home made too.
Would I go back? Yes!

Reviewed 4 February 2014

This is a delightful tea room. Visitors will not be disappointed with the friendly welcome and light snacks and meals. Visited numerous times for lunch and never disappointed. A little gem that is now being discovered and becoming busier so you may be advised to book a table.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were here last Saturday and both had a very nice roast lunch. This place definitely offers quality over quantity, which makes such a pleasant change. If you are looking for some proper tasty home-cooked food, then this is the place for you... If you're looking for a moutain for fast food, go elsewhere. The staff were friendly and welcoming. Oh and the milkshake is a desert in itself, with extra cream swirled on top.

1  Thank VJEROME
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Serves hot and cold food - Freshly cooked breakfasts; Morning coffee; Daily special lunches and Afternoon cream teas
Very friendly and welcoming staff.
Choices of loose tea and variety of coffees
Home made cakes, scones and jam

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Excellent food and service, my girls loved it, we will definitely be going back on our next visit devon.

1  Thank Dionne C