“3 night stay 7 - 10 oct 2013”
Review of Amber House

Amber House
Ranked #7 of 96 Paignton B&B and Inns
Lydbrook, United Kingdom
“3 night stay 7 - 10 oct 2013”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

have just returned from a very pleasent stay at amber house , when i was looking to book a short break we had very specific needs , 3 rooms , one on the ground floor and one dog friendly , Amber house were able to provide this , the rooms were all perfect , very clean and with great attention to detail , our groundfloor room was perfect with easy access and 2 showers ! perfect for my in laws who are in there 80's
Our dog friendly room was on the 1st floor and our "mollydog" settled in perfectly with her own feeding mat , my parents room was a smaller double but plenty big enough and both our rooms had lovely sea views.
Breakfast was excellent with amazing choice , basically whatever you wanted , with a sausage for "mollydog" too.
The small bar was great for a relaxing drink at the end of the day before retiring to bed , there was also an excellent folder with details of restaurants nearby with access details etc
Overall i would definatly reccomend , nothing was too much trouble , we were made very welcome , as was "mollydog" , a bery people and dog frindly hotel

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed in tall ships and really enjoyed the comfy bed , the view of the sea , and the hospitality of our hosts . Breakfast each morning at 8.15 - 9.15 am in the ample dinning room at our assigned table was plentiful and various nothing was too much trouble to prepare , my soft boiled egg was cooked to perfection. We helped ourselves to a DVD to watch and were surprised at the choice available to watch , something for everyone . All in all a pleasent and peaceful weekend unfortunately let down by British weather .

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

We recently booked a cheap holiday for a long weekend at a holiday park in Brixham, but on arrival decided there was no way we could stay there. I booked online at amber house and was delighted we did so. Despite booking barely twenty minutes before arriving Christine showed us round while her husband made up our room. The room and in fact the whole place was spotless and beautifully decorated. The room had everything we needed and the DVD library and honesty box for drinks and snacks was a nice touch. The breakfast was great and the owners were very friendly and helpful. We'll certainly book here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Weybridge
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Having never stayed at a B&B before I was unsure as to what to expect. I had carefully checked out the Amberhouse Hotel before booking over the 'phone.

The first impression when talking with Christine was that you had luckily found a warm and professional owner who would make you very welcome. When I told her I would be arriving well before 'booking-in' time, she assured me this wouldn't be a problem and that I could leave my baggage with them upon arrival.

Upon booking-in I was given a full tour of dining room, garden and my room. I had booked a single room overlooking the garden with sea view. The room was delightful with good clean décor. And what bliss to have large fluffy towels. Excellent 'tea tray' with good quality tea, coffee, small packet of biscuits and even hot chocolate!! This was refreshed daily. The bed linen was first class, the bed had a very good mattress which enabled me to have four good nights' sleep. The room itself with adjoining shower room were absolutely spotless, obviously very well cared for at all times.

The breakfast on offer would put some hotels here and in Europe to shame. All food on offer was of the highest calibre and well cooked. There was an abundance of choice so no need to go hungry. Christine and Melissa served in a friendly but discreet manner ensuring at all times you were well cared for.

There is a good selection of DVDs and books for you to borrow so no need to get bored at any time.

The purpose of my stay was to see a friend who had moved from Surrey. Christine also made her very welcome, and allowed her to use their car park when we went off on our trips. That was an extremely kind and thoughtful gesture which really sums up Christine and Lloyd.

The overall impression is one of comfort and a great eye to detail, with the well being of guests being high on their list of priorities.

Well done to Christine, Lloyd and Melissa for such a delightful experience. Chris Gallagher, Surrey

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just returned to North Yorkshire from a couple of days in Devon. I am quite fussy but we only wanted a base and bed but this hotel met more than our expectations. Our room was one of the smaller (pebble) rooms but provided everything we needed and the bonus was it was so clean. The towels were fluffy and they even provided facecloths which is rare. They were very welcoming without being in your face and as I cannot have wheat, I normally just make do but at breakfast I asked for gluten free and it was provided, then on return from a day out, gluten free biscuits were in my room and a booklet of where I could eat out in the area. She even provided gluten free packed sandwich for the journey home which was great as I struggle in the service stations. An honesty plate for wine, choccies etc were available in reception and on the landing which is a bonus when you fancy a glass when arriving back late and you do not particularly want to go to the bar. A great selection of courtesy DVDs available. Breakfast was good and staff were attentive and pleasant. Attention to detail and service made this a pleasant stay. Only disappointment was in our haste to get on the road, I forgot to leave a tip!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Amber House is a wonderful B&B. Clean, reasonable prices and a very warm welcome. Christine, the owner, has thought of everything with DVDs to borrow, to a recommended restaurants list in the local area and where the local petrol stations are. There is plenty of parking and breakfast was gorgeous. Even though we didn't get a chance to sit in the garden it looked gorgeous. Our room - Pebble - was small but perfect for us. I would go back and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

So you look for places to stay that are reasonable and offer good value for money only to turn up and end up with a dated dirty place ... NOT at Amber House attention to detail here is what makes this place special, from offering an honesty fridge for cold drinks and fresh milk to complementary sweets and use of a diverse DVD library, which when you are away on business on your own is a god send to pass away time in your room. Beds are very comfy, rooms are immacutely clean and you are provided with toiletries to make you feel like you are in a 5 star hotel. Breakfast is on another level, fresh fruit salad where nothing is out of a tin, cooked breakfast to order and a daily special to choose from, along with fresh cafeteria coffee and muffins and pastries to finish... all in all I can not recommend enough. So book it and see for yourselves and you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business