Torbay Court Hotel
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
US$77
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgb tourscoach triphotel is undergoing refurbishmentwalk in showersome tlcbit datedevery eveningdance floorhotel is situatedroom was clean and comfortableweekend breakplenty of choicecouldn't do enoughbus stationsingle roomenjoyable staygreat weekend
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We stayed two nights at this hotel on a dancing holiday in a group. The room was okay, but a bit cold - some friends were complaining their room was stifling and they couldn't open the window!
Our room was on the ground floor, bit tatty, but that doesn't bother me so long as it is clean, and it was. But noises from other rooms, nearby or above, of water, toilets flushing or showers I don't know, but very loud. The evening meal on the first day was diabolical. A choice of three things for the main course - plaice, chicken breast or some sort of salad. Not being a lover of salad on a cold winter evening my choice was between two things I don't much like. I decided on the chicken. It was dry, served with dry plain boiled potatoes, carrots and peas. A mustard sauce if you asked for it. What I would have liked was gravy - something to add some moisture! Breakfast the first morning, I chose a full English but without the fried bread, and my egg scrambled. It arrived, with fried bread, and the scrambled egg had obviously been lying about for a while as it was almost stone cold. The bacon, one thin rasher, was also cold. The sausage was the only hot part. The second evening meal was an improvements, with a choice of braised beef, or cod in arsley sauce. I chose the fish which was very nice. The vegetable were less dry too. But the soup, supposedly tomato, was thick and seemed to be yesterdays vegeable soup with a tin of tomato puree added. I couldn't eat it. Breakfast of the second day, I had learned my lesson, and chose poached egg which had to be freshly cooked and hot. The dining room itself was big with lots of tables. But our group of 42 people were squashed together on 5 long tables, where the waiters had to squeeze behind people or lean across them with plates and dishes, while the rest of the room and at least a dozen more tables were empty! As we were on a dancing weekend the ballroom was obviously an important feature. This was a lovely big floor, no complaints about that, but it would have been better if all the chairs had not been arranged singly all round the edge, reminiscent of many years ago in village halls. There were tiny tables arranged along the edge in between the chairs, so most of us moved the chairs around these little tables so we could talk in groups rather than sit silently along in a row!
Our dance group leaders will not choose this venue again, and we certainly will not come to this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank lastchancer
Reviewed 2 January 2013

just come back from,this excellent hotel.
may not be posh,but the rooms,was very clean,warm.
the food was so good and the staff was excellent throught our stay,nothing was to much trouble for them.
they was all so friendly,and enjoyable to meet,would be happy to stay there again if i ham in paigton again.
thanks to to staff for a very enjoyable new year.
mike p

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank mike p
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Our coach operator used this hotel in November 2012.
We had a very pleasant stay and the staff were friendly and very helpful.
Some rooms had been refurbished but ours was not one of them. Our room was comfortable but small; the tea tray was adequate; the heating was excellent and the bathroom comfortable with a good shower and plenty of hot water; the television was very old and the reception was 'snowy'. Breakfast and dinner, both of average but acceptable quality were served in a pleasant refurbished dining room and served by friendly staff. Both the dining room and lounge/function room had been refurbished to a nice standard.
I think that this hotel will offer very good value and be a great place to stay when both the interior and exterior are completely refurbished.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room; there is a refurbishment policy in operation and the rooms are being upgraded gradually
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sandra D
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed here on a GB Coach Holiday - Monday to Friday. The hotel is situated in a small cul-de-sac about three minutes walk to the seafront and five minutes walk to the town along a path beside the railway.

The hotel has been taken over a few months ago and is being refurbished. The maintenance man Colin took us on a behind the scenes tour to see the rooms being refurbished and they look top class. "Come back next year" he said "and you will be astounded at the results."

The restaurant and entertainment area have been done up and the rooms given a spruce up pending refurbishment. We found our room comfortable and clean although the TV had seen better days (the refurbished rooms have large wall mounted flatscreen Tvs).

The choice of food and the food itself was acceptable but not great. Service was a bit haphazard, quick one day and slow the next but overall acceptable. Entertainment was basic and low key. The staff were wonderful treating guests as guests and not as a nuisance.

Overall, it was great value for what we paid. Would we go back? Certainly.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank novestonback
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Stayed at this hotel 22nd Oct-26th2012.Work in progress,..had a great time, staff and entertainment good, Josh and Sammy worked so hard as did others to make it a pleasant stay.
The holiday was a great success for us as we made the most of it.
The work that has been compleated is very nice.The food was very nice and tasty
Irene & David

Room Tip: I h,ave very good hearing, my partner wears a hearing aid, so he slept well. There was a pump or something going on and off all night so for me I was woken all through the night. Its no ones fault, I just have very good hearing.No one else seemed to be affected with the noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple