“Too cheap!”

Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Manchester
“Too cheap!”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

The title of this review may seem strange, but I think it is a valid comment. It may help others in choosing future tours or package holidays

My wife and I went to this hotel on a package deal coach tour from GB coach tours based in Birkenhead and Birmingham. The price was hard to believe for the package provided. We paid a mere £119 for a trip to Paignton from North Wales including 4 nightshalf board in a hotel and 3 excoursions. This seems a really good deal, and I must admit, the cost makes it difficult to complain.

However, the hotel was not at all adequate, and there is no way it was a true 3 star. The hotel room was basic, but OK and clean, but the bathroom was poor. It had an electric shower that only delivered 2 temperatures: freezing and scalding.! The correct temperature resulted in a series of useless small drips only.

The dining was a joke, 1 sitting only, at 6.30 PM. This is far too early. We left the dinners completely and dined out at extra cost as we cannot eat so early. After talking to a number of the other guests, we realised that we had done the right thing! The dinner was reported to be a complete shambles, totally disorganised, with some people getting served almost an hour and a half after entering, whilst others were served way before them. I make no comment on the quality of the food other than to say that the people we spoke to said it was reasonable for the cost.

This reported shambles proved to be the case and our experience at breakfast, where the staff although reasonably polite and probably well meaning, were completely overworked because of understaffing and were obviously very inexperienced and untrained. There was no order to the service and as reported by those at dinner, many people were ignored at the expense of others who arrived later. Suffice it to say, that on the final day, even the coach driver was complaining! It seemed to me that there was a complete lack of proper management and supervision.

I am sure that this hotel got the business because it offered the tour operator a price that could not be refused. However, as always, you get what you pay for, and the price obviously reflected the overall poor standards of the hotel. I would have preferred to pay more and have a hotel of an adequate standard. Hence the title of the review.

I am not going into detail regarding the coach tour, as it is not relevant to the hotel. We were not satisfied as it seemed very disorganised regarding the excursions and the timings, but others were, so I suppose it's down to personal preferences. I hope this review helps others to choose a satisfactory package. My advice is to pay a bit more as it's better than wasting money on an unsatisfactory experience.

Room Tip: Don't try, it seems that there are none in this hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tony_de2003

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Holywell,Flintshire
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We had been informed that this hotel was under renovation, and on arrival that our room had been renovated. Arrived by coach to find difficult access, and no car parking space. The trip was to meet up with relatives who would arrive that evening by car. Kerb appeal not good. Plastic flowers in hanging baskets. Hotel looked neglected. Reception area needed updating by at least 40 years. Our bags were to be brought to our rooms 15 mins after our arrival. The door lock was faulty and difficult to operate. The room was small and dark, with only 2 tiny ceiling spotlights.
After 45mins I found that the bags had been left outside the door when I decided to go to Reception to enquire about bedside lamps. I was later told no lamps could be obtained until morning. I told them this was unacceptable and, on returning after dinner, found one outside our bedroom door. Another one appeared next morning, with a broken shade. The double bed was hard and uncomfortable, and the headboard wasn't attached properly. There was a well-stocked tea tray, with kettle, but no plug socket nearby. The kettle had to be put on one of the small bedside cabinets. There was an uncovered wall socket with bare wires showing. There was a new carpet fitted.
Access to bathroom was by sliding door, which hung at a precarious angle, as it did not locate in the lower runner. It was fitted with 2 wobbly door knobs, and afforded no privacy. A brand new shower curtain hung from a rusty rail. Shower was fine if you weren't taller than 5' 6". White toilet seat very loose, fitted to avocado toilet. Bathroom floor stained and looked unclean. Radiator was rusty at the bottom. Whilst partner was in bath a slug began climbing up bath panel, causing her to rapidly evacuate the bathroom before it jumped in with her!
Rigid mealtimes did not prevent delays. Meals were bland. Some food was served raw, namely carrots first evening, sausage last breakfast. This was drawn to the attention of the waiting staff, who weren't that bothered and just said they'd mention it to the kitchen staff. Limited choice of meals. A carvery would have been better, as service was slow.
Entertainment on both evenings was good. Roy Cody and a young female singer.
Overall, we enjoyed our Paignton visit, but the hotel was very disappointing.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KevtheExplorer

Travellers are raving about these Paignton hotels

Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I have just returned from a long weekend at this Hotel booked through GB Tours. Although the Hotel is somewhat dated we found that the bar and waiting staff were really pleasant and helpful and couldn't do enough for us. The room was not fancy but was adequate; very clean,very warm and comfortable with tea/coffee making facilities replenished daily.The food was delicious and a good choice was available. The entertainment, in particular Ron Cody and Sean Aldridge, was excellent and we enjoyed it tremendously. The group on our coach trip were mostly elderly over 60 years of age and everyone we spoke to agreed that they had excellent value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Oh dear! We arrived at this horrendous place and were grunted at by the reception staff,very very rude!

The rooms looked like something from the 70's,green bathroom suite etc! The shower could not be used as it soaked the whole bathroom!

The music/acts go on until 11pm and massively loud,no sleep!

The radiator could not be turned off as the valve was broken.

We didn't even have breakfast,it's served from 8-830,really handy when you have work at 8am!

I honestly haven't a good word to say about this place,avoid it at all costs

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Clntspd
Maesteg, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2013

First impressions of the hotel was the parking (there wasn't any) so we ended up parking in whatever place we could and tried to keep a sort of access route for other cars to drive through. After we received our keys to room 9 we found ourselves in the section of the hotel that was being re-furbished - literally as we stepped over coving and paint tins to get to our room. We were the only couple that was staying in that section of the hotel and our room had been refurbished we thought ok lets enjoy the weekend. We both had a peek at the opposite bedrooms and they were being completly re-decorated in amongst the dust and scrapped off wallpaper. My wife told me that early saturday morning (3.30am) there was a lot of noise and sounds coming from outside our room. I must admit due to the journey down and a little drink I did sleep soundly. However on the Sunday morning my wife and I was awoken by noise, lots of walking about scrapping noises, sweeping of brushes and moving of furniture. We were too afraid to venture out just case in could have been burglars so we stayed put and this went on from 3.30am till 5.30am. When we went for an early breakfast on the Sunday morning the oppostite bedroom door was open and there was clear evidence of newly painted skirting (in amongst the dust and wallpaper) and the windows open wide to get rid of the horrible smell of new paint! There was no manager available early on Sunday morning so I phoned in the week to be told by the manager that the porter paints in the early hours of the morning but that is all he does and he wouldn't have been sanding down skirting and scrapping wallpaper off walls. I was told that I should have told someone on the Sunday morning so that they could have done something about it - we were leaving that day! There was a sort of apology - but that was after a long discussion.
Lesson in Hotel management:
1. Listen to the customer - they pay you wages.
2. Don't put customers in an area of the hotel that your are renovating at 3.30am till 5.30am
3. If they are the only rooms available have the common sense to tell the Porter that room 9 is occupied and we are not completely deaf and would like some sleep during the night
4. Courtesy and common sense would say that we deserve some compensation for the lack of sleep.
Hopefully, they will have compeletd all rooms at the hotel; and not put the customers through such an ordeal.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shame600292892
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We stayed two nights at this hotel on a dancing holiday in a group. The room was okay, but a bit cold - some friends were complaining their room was stifling and they couldn't open the window!
Our room was on the ground floor, bit tatty, but that doesn't bother me so long as it is clean, and it was. But noises from other rooms, nearby or above, of water, toilets flushing or showers I don't know, but very loud. The evening meal on the first day was diabolical. A choice of three things for the main course - plaice, chicken breast or some sort of salad. Not being a lover of salad on a cold winter evening my choice was between two things I don't much like. I decided on the chicken. It was dry, served with dry plain boiled potatoes, carrots and peas. A mustard sauce if you asked for it. What I would have liked was gravy - something to add some moisture! Breakfast the first morning, I chose a full English but without the fried bread, and my egg scrambled. It arrived, with fried bread, and the scrambled egg had obviously been lying about for a while as it was almost stone cold. The bacon, one thin rasher, was also cold. The sausage was the only hot part. The second evening meal was an improvements, with a choice of braised beef, or cod in arsley sauce. I chose the fish which was very nice. The vegetable were less dry too. But the soup, supposedly tomato, was thick and seemed to be yesterdays vegeable soup with a tin of tomato puree added. I couldn't eat it. Breakfast of the second day, I had learned my lesson, and chose poached egg which had to be freshly cooked and hot. The dining room itself was big with lots of tables. But our group of 42 people were squashed together on 5 long tables, where the waiters had to squeeze behind people or lean across them with plates and dishes, while the rest of the room and at least a dozen more tables were empty! As we were on a dancing weekend the ballroom was obviously an important feature. This was a lovely big floor, no complaints about that, but it would have been better if all the chairs had not been arranged singly all round the edge, reminiscent of many years ago in village halls. There were tiny tables arranged along the edge in between the chairs, so most of us moved the chairs around these little tables so we could talk in groups rather than sit silently along in a row!
Our dance group leaders will not choose this venue again, and we certainly will not come to this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank lastchancer
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

just come back from,this excellent hotel.
may not be posh,but the rooms,was very clean,warm.
the food was so good and the staff was excellent throught our stay,nothing was to much trouble for them.
they was all so friendly,and enjoyable to meet,would be happy to stay there again if i ham in paigton again.
thanks to to staff for a very enjoyable new year.
mike p